Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I buy a new/newer boat?

Need help from the guys who have been in my position. I have a 2001 518, with the original EFI. I have a 2009 trailer, updated vortex hubs, with typical rust issues. I did the carpet two years ago on the boat, seats are showing some weathering, Ive updated the side panels and bow panel. Updated switches on the side panels. 2 y/o X5 trolling motor. The boat has been garaged for about 90% of its life. So its clean. The engine seems fine.

Now:
    A: stay with the boat, its already 17 years old, and re-power when the EFI blows, stay with it for additional 10 years. Then buy a new/newer boat, ASSUMING I can afford it then?
    B: sell boat now, buy a new/newer bass boat only because I CAN afford it now?

I know some of you have been in this position. I would appreciate some guidance. Im 43 y/o and In good health. My employment is very, very good NOW but could change in the future do to my field.

What would you guys recommend.
    Jaime
    J. Ochoa

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaime7818 View Post
    Need help from the guys who have been in my position. I have a 2001 518, with the original EFI. I have a 2009 trailer, updated vortex hubs, with typical rust issues. I did the carpet two years ago on the boat, seats are showing some weathering, Ive updated the side panels and bow panel. Updated switches on the side panels. 2 y/o X5 trolling motor. The boat has been garaged for about 90% of its life. So its clean. The engine seems fine.

Now:
    A: stay with the boat, its already 17 years old, and re-power when the EFI blows, stay with it for additional 10 years. Then buy a new/newer boat, ASSUMING I can afford it then?
    B: sell boat now, buy a new/newer bass boat only because I CAN afford it now?

I know some of you have been in this position. I would appreciate some guidance. Im 43 y/o and In good health. My employment is very, very good NOW but could change in the future do to my field.

What would you guys recommend.
    Jaime

I spent about 25 years upgrading boats and finally got into a z520. I love the new ones but can't see spending that on the new. However there is a time when your boat is at a peak value once it is paid for that if you have the itch for something newer then you have a choice to make. I kept my last one for 10 years and may have this one for at least that. The questions you can ask are - do I need it? Does the one I have get me on the water and is it reliable, do I feel safe in it on bigger waters? Buying a boat can be a big decision and an expensive one too. If you want an upgrade to a newer model, bigger or different options that add value to your fishing experience then it may be worth it. If they do not add value to you then it may not be. I can not tell you what to do it is your money but you should spend some time thinking about what is important. That can lead you to the right choice.

Keep it. Fix what you need to fix and go fishing. A few up grades and its like new. Len
    1992 RANGER 392V 200 MERC

Quote Originally Posted by LEN B View Post
    Keep it. Fix what you need to fix and go fishing. A few up grades and its like new. Len
    This, it's just a floating platform to stand on, if the old one floats and gets you to and from your fishing spot safely then it does exactly what a new one does.

I had a 94 361V. Loved it. She looked great, ran great, fished great. But, I wanted a 20 footer. That was the only reason I upgraded. I now have a 2013 Z520c and so far, I love her too.

For me it was a matter of going bigger. And one more thing, I made sure to buy a bigger AND faster boat than my old one. I have no regrets. I ran the 361V for 13 years but it was time to move on.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

6. Member
    I'll buck the trend. Life is short, its nice to have nice things, and if you can afford it now, do it!

7. Banned
    Ultimately the decision is yours. Just some factors to consider, if you repower and in a few years decide to sell you will loose money. Shop around, will be surprised what you can get used with low hours and transferable warranties. Thats what I did and saved thousands of dollars on a 3 year old rig that only had 18hrs of use on the opti. I added a few upgrades that I wanted and came ahead.

8. Member
    Here are my thoughts. The fact that you are thinking about a new /new used boat tells me that you should do it. I would sell your current boat as is. I would then recomend looking for the exact used boat that you want to fish from and then upgrade it to where you want it. My best friend just traded his 10 year old 520 with all the bells and whistles for a new 19 520 with new bells and whistles. It cost him 57 k on top of his trade and I swear it fishes the same .

I went through the exact same thing about 5 years ago. What works for me may not work for you but here is how I made my mind up. I ask myself a couple questions...Does this boat suit my needs 100%? Will I be happy in this boat for another 15 or more years? The answer was yes to both questions so in the last few years I have re-powered, added talons, upgraded electronics and added a smart gauge. If for any reason your not going to own the boat LONG term you might want to consider trading. I currently have a 20 year old boat with decent accessories and a relatively new motor but if I wanted to trade it or sell it people will still see it as a 20 year old boat (which it is) but the upgrades will not hold value as well because they are on an older boat.

10. Member
    Just a thought as i to have a 2002 518 and have her just about as i want her and it is paid for, I am going to send her to Ranger in a few years so they can make her look just like new, cost is way less than new. Plus i know my boat and everyone that seen it goes wow when i say how old it is. If i pop the engine tomorrow i will re power it. Unless you got the i have to have a new boat bug. In the end it is your money do what makes you happy, you only live once or so they tell me.

Tight lines,
    Craig
    2002 Ranger 518 DVX
    Helix 12 and 1199
    80# fortrex
    Blue water pimped

Obviously, the only reason to upgrade is to up-grade. I like the older boats and can totally see the logic in repowering but thats really not Up-grading, its more like maintaining. So if you are not looking at newer to actually up-grade to bigger, different or better than go motor shopping.

New boats have become very expensive and I doubt I can get enough fishing time on the water to justify stroking the check on a new one. That being said, I have owned my fair share of new boats and eaten the cost every time. Maybe I have learned my lesson or maybe I am just not that impressed with some of the newer offerings but I have not seen any significant improvements in the line up since 2011/12. Recessed foot pedal being pretty much standard after 2012 and the dash layout is capable of holding a 12" on a specialty mount. everything else has not really changed.
    Last edited by Finlander; 06-21-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Take this for whatever you think it's worth. My first Ranger was a 1991 390 with a GT 150 Johnson and a tandem trailer. I kept it for 10 years. It had one small scratch on it and I would have had to show you exactly where it was for you to find it. The boat was MINT when I sold it. I got into a position that I could afford a new boat and bought a 2001 R91 with a 200 Opti, which I kept for 14 years. The advantage of the new boat was 50 more HP, a better ride, and about an extra 10-12 mph. However, the R91 had a much narrower front deck than the 390 and was sometimes a PITA in that regard. In addition, the 2001 Tandem trailer had COOL Hubs that left me beside the road twice. On my old rig, the greased hubs were about as bullet proof as it gets, as was the GT 150. The Opti never blew, but twice the seal at the top of the driveshaft was leaking and I had to have the powerhead pulled to have a new seal installed and I had to tow it 4 hours to a dealer who could do the job, as local mechanics couldn't get it installed correctly the first time when it was under warranty.

There were many days that I kicked myself in the butt because I sold my 390 and bought the R91. I was out the additional money that I spent and still had issues with the new rig. Sometimes, "the devil that you know is better than the one that you don't."

If you like your rig, why spent the extra money for a new one? Invest the money you would spend on the new rig and repower when it's time.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Moderator
    Definitely keep it. Save the "new boat" money for retirement.....

14. Member
    Mine is an 06 Ranger 188. About 2 years ago I put new carpet (w/ padding), new seats, new windshield and a new 175 Merc Pro XS (7 year warranty) ($13,000). It was a no brainer when the new similar model was approaching $50,000. Just last month did the ProTech restoration on it and replaced all the dome letters. Could not be happier with it and it's paid for.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

15. Member
    i have been thinking about another boat,i have a 2000 r83 a garage queen its in super nice shape and loaded however it is a dual console boat,i have never liked a dual console boat and i guess i never will,i really been thing about selling it or trading for a single console

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Jeff Hahn makes a really good point about the devil you know. We see dozens/hundreds of threads from guys who are wondering whether the new engine they are contemplating will be as solid as their old one, but we should also remember that boats and trailers are equally prone to disappointing flaws. Lots of uncertainties there, and I’ve had plenty of cause to repent when I’ve traded every 2-3 years, only to find things I didn’t like about the new boat on most occasions. It is for sure always less expensive to hang onto what you already have—assuming that it is mechanically sound—but hanging onto our old stuff isn’t always as much fun. “Fun” being a relative term, of course. Personally, I like a bit of planning, dickering, and tinkering with new stuff. I’ve paid for that privilege, but can’t say that I’d be any happier today if I still had one of my boats from 20-30 years ago, either.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

17. Member
    Great advice so far. I do agree with John that its not uncommon to trade one set of problems for another although the comfort of having warranty to address those issues is helpful. I've experienced trading problems with vehicles more often than boats.

The new boat itch can be a "_itch". I think about it at times and how nice that new Merc 4 stroke would be. My 2012 is paid for and only has 175 hrs on it with no known issues. The Merc went out of warranty in March of this year so I'm rolling the dice a little but with low hours I should be fine for awhile. Love to have a 520C or L though....

For the OP, its a tough decision to make. The cost spread between your boat and a new boat will never be less than today but by the same token your current boat I'm sure isn't costing you anything so you're money ahead keeping it. The smell of new fiberglass can be very addicting. Good luck
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

18. Member
    I was in a similar situation, not exactly the same. I had an older boat while it was in good shape it was nickel and diming me constantly. It didn't have any known motor issues but it was always on my mind. I was at the point to where I started putting money away for a new motor and trailer. When I sat down and really thought about how much updates were going to be I looked at the current value and new motor cost (approximately 20k). That money I would never get back out,not even close. I put everything on paper boat value, motor, trailer, small incidentals etc. When I was done I was about 15k difference from a 2004 boat and the brand new 18 I bought. I sold the older boat after I found a left over new 18 at about 14k less than it was in 18, I put the old boat money down and have a small payment and a new boat completely under warranty that I could walk away from without completely losing my ass in the deal if I needed to sell it.
    Just my .02, Paul

19. Member
    Your costs will increase as you upgrade electronics and the trend is to have more than two. The new trolling motors have great features not available in the past. Don’t know how you are with power poles....but if you are going to spend $$$ on these items then be cautious about an older boat. Soon if not know everyone will want a 4 stroke motor. So all these $$$$ add up.
    2023 Ranger 521R
    Merc 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

20. Member
    When I get to old to fish. I will sit on the porch and say I did it. Rather than say I should have done it.
    On my second Ranger 2018 520L Hard pillto swallow but I glad I did it. Just my op ion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast