Striker plus 9sv question

I am really hoping I did not screw up when I bought this unit. It's hooked up and the transducer is connected. I've got power but really am having a hard time understanding the advantages of this system. I get the draw your own concept whikle on the water but with the activecaptain can I go to that app, locate a map and use it on this unit? Can that map be downloaded to this unit through wifi, or will the unit recognize the lake I'm on when I get there as with Lowrance. Can I view a lake while at my home through the unit as I can through the aptivecaptain site on my computer? Yes - a lot of cans but I think this has potential once I get the hang of it. THX

2. Member
    Followed up with Garmin customer service today. The quick answer to the uase of a complete map of a particular lake is no the unit 1. does not recognize the body of water you're on, 2. you cannot move the complete lake to your screen on what has beendrawn by the quick draw (qd) community, 3. you can view the qd info from your residence or wherever you are other than the lake, 4. the gps is usable as is the ds and si. Looking back, as much as I like aspects of the Garmin Striker, I have spent money or something that is really only partially complete for my use. I wish the sales person could have answered the questions posed to him when I bought the unit. The active captain map you can view online is great. The lakes I fish in Texas are showing me things I did not know existed on those bodies of water. However the use them when I'm actually on the water is just not there. Starting to save for something else. The error is on my part for not doing the adequate research. Garmin is a great device but the model I purchased in only partially complete.

3. Member
    There doesn't seem to be a way around doing your own research. Sorry! It's near impossible for sales people in stores to know the capability and limitations of all the brands and models. These boards on BBC are your best resource for research. Brian at BBG is a terrific resource and there have been a lot of people post on here that his prices are competitive.

Of course you've already found out that the Striker units do not have maps unless you make them yourself. You may be able to get 50% or more of your money back selling on ebay. I've done that with Hbird and Lowrance units. I price them at 50% and if they don't sell locally, then put them on ebay. Never had a problem getting rid of them. The unit for you is the echomap Plus 93sv.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Really appreciate your reply. Will see what I can do about a little bit of a recoup. Really trying to see a use for this model. If I could figure that out I may keep it. Remains to be seen. Again thank you for your response.

5. Member
    You have quite a few options. Seems I never have enough units. I find it very helpful to be able to see transducers on the transom and trolling motor at the same time. And yes, what they show is usually different.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    I would just install it on the trolling motor and run it in DV it would be nice having a 9" screen up there,

7. Member
    Try to sale it a price you want. If it doesnt sell, keep it.