Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Why?

Whats wrong with more coverage if youre looking for fish?

2. Member
    The problem with to much coverage (to wide conenagle) on 2D is that your sonar averages out whatever is within the coneangle. At some point that averaging goes from beeing informative to beeing confusing.

An extreme example can bee seen in this screenshot. Read the text and compare the three images here:

"A
    irmar P66 with two coneangles versus DownScan. On the left side of the screen you see 200 kHz with its rather narrow coneangle of 11 degrees (measured at -3db), while the midle of the screen is 50 kHz with a whopping 45 degrees coneangle, and to the right you see DownScan with its narrow strobe-like cone. This screenshot clearly shows you how a narrow versus wide coneangle affects how your sonar reads and draws the bottom line. With 200 kHz the wreck clearly rizes from the bottom, while the wide coneangle of the 50 kHz makes it disapear in the bottom line. With a whole ship beeing hidden in the bottom-line, do you think you would see fish close to bottom with the wide coneangle?"

Offcourse the averaging-out increases with depth, which is why you use a wider coneangle in shallow water, and a narrow in deeper water. But if a whole shrimp-trawler can "disappear" in only 40 feet of water, how much fish close to bottom do you think you miss in 10 feet of water with a (too) wide coneangle?

3. Member
    Again, youre talking about structure and bottom hugging fish while im talking about fish in the water column.

Original Panoptix had a hard time with bottom structure and bottom fish but no one slammed it for too wide of coverage. Its great for suspended fish. A wider cone with better detail like the newer transducers coming out is also an advantage using A-scope for a poor-mans Panoptix.

For suspended fish I dont see a downside to a wider 2d cone.

4. Member
    I much preferr 20-25 degrees also when looking for pelagic targets. I have SideScan and LiveScope to tell me what is around the boat, I want to know what is under me when looking at 2D.

5. Member
    Give me 200khz at 180degrees in a 2d transducer and i wont need sidescan or livescope

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123