Thread: Livewell

Livewell

What's proper way to use livewell when keeping fish alive, have older 1997 21xdc, do I keep valve closed and turn pumps to recirculate or do I open valve and recirculate, boat does not have full switch, just recirculate Manuel and auto, thanks

2. Member
    I had a 92 and 96 and now a 12.i have never had problems with fish. I always filled it up and put it on timer and let it go out the overflow

3. Member
    We keep it closed. fill it with pump in, and recirc all day. If it is hot we add frozen water bottles. I only open it to dran it when we pull out of the water and then close it back.
    Last edited by rock2033; 06-20-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    2013 20XD/ 250XS

4. Member
    In hot weather I fill live well and run re-circ constantly, using frozen bottles to cool the water and adding rejuvenate occasionally. I also plug the overflow to keep from losing your cool water.

5. Member
    In the hotter months, put 20lbs of ice in, close valve, plug over flow, fill with water, add peroxide and stay alive chemical, and recirc only the rest of the day. Never add water after the first fill up. Never have problems with fish dying.

6. Member
    I just hope Bullet live wells are as good as a Triton's, all I do is turn it on and throw fish in it, never any problems with losing fish.

7. Banned
    in the cooler months I just leave the drain open without recirculating, when I move to a new spot I close the valve so I don't loose water and reopen it when I get to my next spot. In the warmer months I close the valve and fill it up, run the recirc on the timer ... when it's really hot I leave the recirc on constant. Never had problems with dying fish except one time when I decided to keep a 5# flat head for dinner during a tournament .... I'll never do that again, killed all the fish. I've never needed to use additives or ice.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I just hope Bullet live wells are as good as a Triton's, all I do is turn it on and throw fish in it, never any problems with losing fish.
    I've never had an issue, but I'll be honest, I think I'm going to put a pure oxygen system in mine over the winter. I've got a couple buddies who have had dead fish cost them a lot of money in 3 separate tournaments recently

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    I've never had an issue, but I'll be honest, I think I'm going to put a pure oxygen system in mine over the winter. I've got a couple buddies who have had dead fish cost them a lot of money in 3 separate tournaments recently
    Were they fishing in a Bullet ? I do have the oxygenator going into my new boat, not sure how well it works. I did get an upgraded pump as well, those Bullet wells are huge too.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Were they fishing in a Bullet ? I do have the oxygenator going into my new boat, not sure how well it works. I did get an upgraded pump as well, those Bullet wells are huge too.
    2018 Phoenix 721

I think the amount of space and water in the Bullet wells helps a lot, I'm just paranoid and I'll spend a couple hundred bucks building an oxygen system to save from killing some fish. A small bottle will last me a while. With pure oxygen pumping in I can plug the overflow and fill the wells to the top and stop some of the sloshing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    2018 Phoenix 721

I think the amount of space and water in the Bullet wells helps a lot, I'm just paranoid and I'll spend a couple hundred bucks building an oxygen system to save from killing some fish. A small bottle will last me a while. With pure oxygen pumping in I can plug the overflow and fill the wells to the top and stop some of the sloshing.
    I have a buddy with a brand new phoenix, he has lost fish the last two tournies in a row.

12. Member
    I fished as tournament last weekend on Rayburn with 87 degree water temps. Put 18lbs in the box by 9am and upgraded to 20+ at 12:30. The recirc was kept on manual all day and a cool water bottle was added every hour. No issues.

I plug the overflow, add ice throughout the day and recirc only for me. My live well swallows 30 plus pounds 5 fish no problem.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com