Ranger Jump Start Switch Question

I am considering installing a Ranger Jump Start Switch on my 2009 Ranger Z522 with a 300 hp Verado engine. I have a MK 36 volt Fortrex trolling motor with US2. My electronics are Lowrance. Would there be any issues installing this switch in my boat. I seem to remember that there could be some issues that could damage the trolling motor if you were to use the Jump Start switch. Does anyone know of any reason why I shouldn’t install this switch in my boat?
    Thanks in advance.
    Brian

2. Member
    No problem as long as it's hooked up correctly.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Good memory. Link to the discussion and PROPER hookup. As stated, works fine when hooked up correctly. This is an old thread/issue, so you should be fine.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Thousands and thousands of Rangers out in service with the jump start switch. No issues unless, as said above, wired incorrectly. My $.02, having an experienced and reliable dealer do such installations protects me from any of the bad stuff that might happen, because if the dealer does it wrong, it’s on him to make all reparation. I don’t take on $50 or $100 jobs that could cost thousands unless I am super convinced I can’t mess up.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Thanks guys for all your help. I clicked on the link but the wiring diagram and instructions were to small to read. Would anyone know if this could be viewed so you could read it? I live in a rural area and the closest Ranger dealer is 3 hours away. I'll be able to install correctly if I can get the proper installation instructions.
    Thanks again to everyone!

IMG_1927 by dean c, on Flickr

Heres the 36 volt system....The genius who decided to call the wire to troll battery 3 "batt 2" has never struck me as a good decsion..but it references the second battery on the switch. Troll battery 3 (in this schematic) is the "low side" battery in a 36 volt system..and note the trolling motor negative comes from this battery. Any other configuration can cause electrolysis and damge to trolling motor and or electronics.

The jump start/batt 2 wire should always be connected to low side battery in either a 24/36 volt sytem.
    Last edited by dean c; 06-21-2019 at 06:42 AM.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Now that’s​ a readable diagram, Dean. Kudos.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Thanks dean c! I can actually see this. This is for the new Ranger JumpStart Switch - right?
    Much appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman522 View Post
    Thanks dean c! I can actually see this. This is for the new Ranger JumpStart Switch - right?
    Much appreciate your help!
    Its for a 4 position switch that comes in the new boats yes...

10. Member
    I agree with John and let the dealer wire it. The gauge wire that they have to use and get crammed in there is the most expensive part. Throw in the cost of the switch you have to buy and other parts and the labor is not a deal breaker in my opinion. Plus they do it correctly.