1998 Faststrike Evinrude 15o

I am needing a new motor and found this fast strike for sale. It is a 1998 and I have heard about certain year models are not the best of motors. Was the 1998 year model one to watch out for?
    Thanks

Yes that is a year that could possibly be a Ficht Fast Strike. A model number will confirm if its a carburetor or Ficht injection motor. If its a carburator Fast Strike motor then they were very reliable. If its a Ficht Fast Strike then parts are hard to find and techs with experience working on them is also hard to find.

A model number will reveal what motor is in question.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If it was a Fast Strike it would be a Johnson, Evinrude is an Intruder but as Gene says a model number will help. You can confirm by removing the motor cover. If there are no injectors at the back of the motor, then it is carbed.

4. Member
    It is carbed so I guess it will b a safe purchase
    Thanks guys

The carburated Johnson Fast Strike when new was one of the best motors on the market. When the EPA made more strict pollution/emission laws it was the kiss of death to all carbureted motors so that is the main reason they are no longer in production. As with any motor the amount of time it has left will be dependant on how well the motor was maintained throughout its life, especially one that is 21 years old. If all checks out to be good then I would not hesitate to buy that motor if it suits your needs