Question No Acceleration During Hole shot...

2002 Ranger 620VS
    225 Optimax
    Merc Rev 4 19P (2 PVS plugs removed)
    47 gallons of gas
    2 guys
    Tourney Load

Based on recommendations, I got a Rev 4 19P to use during tourney fishing and mainly rough water control.

During a "Shotgun" start at a tourney, I gave the boat full throttle (with motor trimmed all the way down) and we just sat there. No increase in motor RPM or anything. I had to feather the throttle to get any momentum. Once started moving forward it got on plane fine. But clearly the hole shot is non existent.

The motor has new TDR reeds, new plugs, new plug wires, 5 new air injectors, Don serviced fuel injection system, new air compressor, using recommended fuel concoction, all new fuel hoses and primer bulb, new fuel and oil line filters.

So, am I getting excessive prop slip?
    Do I need to remove the other 2 PVS plugs?
    Or am I using the wrong prop?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by darleyhavidson; 06-19-2019 at 04:41 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    2002 Ranger 620VS
    225 Optimax
    Merc Rev 4 19P (2 PVS plugs removed)
    47 gallons of gas
    2 guys
    Tourney Load

Based on recommendations, I got a Rev 4 19P to use during tourney fishing and mainly rough water control.

During a "Shotgun" start" at a tourney, I gave the boat full throttle (with motor trimmed all the way down) and we just sat there. No increase in motor RPM or anything. I had to feather the throttle to get any momentum. Once started moving forward it got on plane fine. But clearly hole shot is non existent.

The motor has new TDR reeds, new plugs, new plug wires, 5 new air injectors, Don serviced fuel injection system, new air compressor, using recommended fuel concoction, all new fuel hoses and primer bulb, new fuel and oil line filters.

So, am I getting excessive prop slip?
    Do I need to remove the other 2 PVS plugs?
    Or am I using the wrong prop?

Thoughts?
    1. The prop is NOT slipping IF the RPM's didn't increase. "No increase in motor RPM or anything".
    2. Possibly try it.
    3. What prop did you have previously and how did it perform?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    1. The prop is NOT slipping IF the RPM's didn't increase. "No increase in motor RPM or anything".
    2. Possibly try it.
    3. What prop did you have previously and how did it perform?
    The previous prop installed is a 21P Tempest Plus 3 blade with no PVS plugs installed. Works well, but does not hold the boat in choppy water. The prop was coming out of the water too much. I was hoping a 4 blade would rectify this issue.

So you are saying when you hit the throttle to wide open the boat stayed at idle rpms. Then when you slowly pushed the throttle it gained rpm and eventually got on plane?

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    So you are saying when you hit the throttle to wide open the boat stayed at idle rpms. Then when you slowly pushed the throttle it gained rpm and eventually got on plane?
    Basically. It was hard to hear the motor over all my cussing and swearing. I had to bring the throttle back to neutral from full throttle and then slowly apply throttle. I added more throttle based on how the boat reacted. Once I got it moving, I could go full throttle until it got on plane.

What happened the rest of the day when moving around. Did it do the same thing? Sounds like something got messed up during all the maintenance things you had done.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    What happened the rest of the day when moving around. Did it do the same thing? Sounds like something got messed up during all the maintenance things you had done.
    As far as the rest of the day went, I could not go immediately to full throttle to get on plane. I had to "baby" the throttle each time.

I had no issues getting on plane with the Tempest 21P.

8. Member
    So it sounds like your prop is slipping ? Do your rpm's s shoot way up?

Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    Do your rpm's s shoot way up?
    I don't believe so. I think that would have caught my attention immediately and I would have reduced throttle in a hurry. It felt like the boat wanted move, but there was just no propulsion.

If the weather holds up, I will try it again this weekend.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try more PVS ventilation- and may need to try something other than the Rev-4 (Battleship) prop.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Try more PVS ventilation- and may need to try something other than the Rev-4 (Battleship) prop.
    Adding more ventilation helped. I drilled 3/8" holes in the two plugs I had installed. It stumbled slightly, but it responded very well to get on plane. Trying to figure out if I should just remove one plug or both to smooth out the hotshot.

Do you have any other prop recommendations? The Rev 4 is the primary recommended 4 blade prop for a Ranger 620 (especially the older hull design models).

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    You have more than prop problems. That 225 Optimax should sing that 19P prop to the moon.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    My 225 xs did the same thing as yours when I put on a Trophy plus without the exhaust ring. I would say it’s a ventilation thing.

14. Member
    Pull another plug out.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    My 225 xs did the same thing as yours when I put on a Trophy plus without the exhaust ring. I would say it’s a ventilation thing.
    Thanks for the feedback. It was a very dramatic difference with the extra ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Pull another plug out.
    I will give it a go.