Ranger Battery Jump Start Switch

I have a 2009 Ranger Z522 with a 300 hp Verado and would like to add a Ranger jump start switch to the batteries. I have a 36 volt Minn Kota trolling motor with US2 built in transducer. My electronics are Lowrance. Seems like I remember hearing that you should not put this switch in if you have the US2 Minn Kota trolling motor because damage would occur to the trolling motor if you tried to use the jump start feature selector to start your outboard.
    Anyone heard of this situation? I would really like to add the switch to have in case my cranking battery were to become too weak to start my engine.
    Thanks in advance!
    Brian

2. Member
    Sorry - Double Post!

3. Member
    As long as you connect it properly, you'll be OK. Just remember, the trolling motor battery that you use to jump with will be the one that feeds ground to the trolling motor -- not one that jumps the ground.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    I posted this in the Ranger Boat section and was directed to a link concerning this issue. The link shows a wiring diagram and other information but it is so small I can hardly view it. Does anyone know how to enlarge this link? I suppose the wiring information will be with the switch if and when I order one from Ranger.
    Thanks for your help Jonestrollingmotor!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    As long as you connect it properly, you'll be OK. Just remember, the trolling motor battery that you use to jump with will be the one that feeds ground to the trolling motor -- not one that jumps the ground.
    John
    John, to be 100% safe if one had to jump start the motor with the switch, would disconnecting the power cable from the last battery to the breaker work?
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    John, to be 100% safe if one had to jump start the motor with the switch, would disconnecting the power cable from the last battery to the breaker work?
    Or how about just throwing the breaker to the trolling motor before you jump start the main engine. Would that work as well? Thats what I did when I had to jump start my boat using the switch a couple of years ago. I did not not think it would have hurt the trolling motor when I jump started the engine, but I threw it anyway.

7. Member
    If the jump switch is connected correctly, with the right size wiring going to the trolling motor batteries, there is no need to disconnect anything when using the switch.
    John
    By the way, if someone wants to add one of these as aftermarket, I can supply the parts needed
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    If the jump switch is connected correctly, with the right size wiring going to the trolling motor batteries, there is no need to disconnect anything when using the switch.
    John
    By the way, if someone wants to add one of these as aftermarket, I can supply the parts needed
    John, good info as always! Hope you are doing OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman522 View Post
    I posted this in the Ranger Boat section and was directed to a link concerning this issue. The link shows a wiring diagram and other information but it is so small I can hardly view it. Does anyone know how to enlarge this link? I suppose the wiring information will be with the switch if and when I order one from Ranger.
    Thanks for your help Jonestrollingmotor!
    This?

large.jpg
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

10. Member
    Yes. Thanks Sirius Rich!

11. Member
    I'm wiring up this jump switch also. There is that big fuse (maybe 30 or 35amps) that I need to include.
    Should it be at the green arrow or the blue arrow here?36 Volt switch.jpg

12. Member
    What does the 30/35A fuse protect
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    What does the 30/35A fuse protect
    Whatever is at the other end of the wires. How should I know? I had one on my 2007 Ranger and the same one is here on my 2017 Ranger.

I think I found my answer. Someone else posted this schematic saying it should go between the jump switch and the boat electronics. I thought it was for the motor but I guess not.

large.jpg

14. Member
    Thats right. If it was the motor it would constantly be blowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    Whatever is at the other end of the wires. How should I know? I had one on my 2007 Ranger and the same one is here on my 2017 Ranger.

I think I found my answer. Someone else posted this schematic saying it should go between the jump switch and the boat electronics. I thought it was for the motor but I guess not.

large.jpg
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]