Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    OK I took off the number three injector and I’m getting less than one volt when cranking
    This is about a useful as a noid light. All it tells you is that some signal is being sent (and voltage is not a good indicator as injector signals are DYNAMIC and constantly changing with engine MAP table info).

DDT was discontinued in 2006. It was replaced with the Computer Diagnostic System, which has now been replaced by CDS G3-2019. Your dealer should be using one of the later two.

Be sure to get printouts of the Run History, Freeze Frame (Fault) History, and Fault Second Counters. You can always post those for review if needed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Thanks Don, I noticed today my problem engine was spitting fuel out the VST vent hose so first thing will be to get back into that

3. Member
    I get that, but those things aren’t that easy to follow and a little guidance from people who do it every day would make things much easier. I might have to have a Merc dealer hook up a DDT to it and see if I have a bad sensor.
    I understand. My service manual is easy to follow, and it, combined with assistance here (when needed) helps a lot! Just trying to help as the pros turning wrenches for a living every day sometimes have limited time in the middle of their busy season.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I understand. My service manual is easy to follow, and it, combined with assistance here (when needed) helps a lot! Just trying to help as the pros turning wrenches for a living every day sometimes have limited time in the middle of their busy season.
    Understood.

By the way I do have the factory manual but its made for mechanics which I am not. Been getting some good advice here though and Im determined

5. Member
    And the gurus will guide you through this.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I haven’t had a chance to put gauges on these engines but the fuel rails do have pressure. I put 12 V to the high-pressure pumps and they both spin and then to the low pressure pumps and they just click. Are they junk?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Low pressure pumps should spin/function if you provide Power AND ground to them. They may not be as loud or as noisy as the high-pressure pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don

I took one of them out and connected right to my truck battery and it just clicks in both directions. I’m going to have to assume it’s jog. When I replace it can I use normal hose clamps or do I have to use those crimp rings?

9. Member
    By the way this boat is within walking distance to the biggest Mercury dealer around. I asked them if they could hook the computer up to it and they told me they won’t look at it and less it’s running

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Strongly recommend the correct OETIKER clamps.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Strongly recommend the correct OETIKER clamps.
    Thanks Don, I pulled the pump off the motor that was recently running.

I’m going to soak it in a couple of inches of Seafoam and see if it frees up.

12. Member
    Lows pressure fuel pumps got them running. Added a heavy dose of Mercury Quik Clean but the starboard motor doesn’t like to idle

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Back to the basics now that you have fuel present. Be sure to check the Air/Fuel Pressures, and verify good, clean (and fresh) NGK Spark Plugs, properly gapped, and torqued to spec.

14. Member
    The air and fuel pressure is good,there’s about a 10 pound difference between the two on each engine. I tried to see if the local Mercury shop could scan them but they said it will be two weeks. I’ll keep at it.

On a sidenote, the little fuse blocks in each engine, one has all 20 amp and one has three 20 amp and one 15. Which one is correct?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There should be 1-15a fuse, 3 20a fuses, and a spare 20a in the center. See engine owner's manual for specifics on each fuse.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There should be 1-15a fuse, 3 20a fuses, and a spare 20a in the center. See engine owner's manual for specifics on each fuse.
    My manual shows them inline and all 20a. Mine are in a block. Which one should be 15a?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    My manual shows them inline and all 20a. Mine are in a block. Which one should be 15a?
    Please provide your Manual's Part Number.

18. Member
    90-10199010 400

This one shows the fuse box with four 20a fuses

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Interesting- I see the information in your owner's manual conflicts with the Parts Diaghragms and some versions of the Service Manual.

Given the circuits involved I would recommend going to 20a fuses throughout on that SPECIFIC engine. It will not harm anything, and will avoid confusion (also making replacement fuses simple to choose).

Others Readers: please don't try to apply this to YOUR engine just because you read something in this thread.

Hope this helps!

20. Member
    That is my thought too. Thanks Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12