Mapping on 7612XSV, Slowwwwwwwww

zooming in and out has gotten drastically slower since the last SW update, like ridiculously slow. Has anyone else noticed this? G3 mapping, I only have about 200 waypoints, and 2 trails.

2. Member
    I posted a similar comment yesterday with my new 93sv units, but did not get any responses - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=990896

3. Member
    Yup. super slow

What software version is loaded? What is the chart detail level set to? If not already, change to Normal. What zoom level is the chart being viewed at? How do the units perform without a mapping card inserted? Is there anything else on the mapping card other than the map and subsequent files? Is Quickdraw enabled? If so, toggle OFF to see if performance improves.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    following I am having the same issue

6. Member
    Todd - Thank you very much for your response. I don't want to hijack the thread, but here is my experience. The maps on my EM+ 93SV w/G3 (built-in) maps were set to the highest detail. I've reduced it to "normal" and will see if it has an impact on performance. What is lost when changing the chart detail settings? I see the issue most when zooming in or out 2+ levels of detail. It seems this triggers everything to redraw - map, contour lines, depth shading, and waypoints/tracks. At certain times it renders in 2 seconds, other times it takes 15 seconds. I haven't been able to isolate a consistent pattern. It does seem to be more prevalent when using the map in a combo view with sonar, which in theory puts a greater strain on hardware resources. I had previously removed all memory cards to eliminate that as the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcelmury View Post
    Todd - Thank you very much for your response. I don't want to hijack the thread, but here is my experience. The maps on my EM+ 93SV w/G3 (built-in) maps were set to the highest detail. I've reduced it to "normal" and will see if it has an impact on performance. What is lost when changing the chart detail settings? I see the issue most when zooming in or out 2+ levels of detail. It seems this triggers everything to redraw - map, contour lines, depth shading, and waypoints/tracks. At certain times it renders in 2 seconds, other times it takes 15 seconds. I haven't been able to isolate a consistent pattern. It does seem to be more prevalent when using the map in a combo view with sonar, which in theory puts a greater strain on hardware resources. I had previously removed all memory cards to eliminate that as the issue.
    With chart detail set to More or Most, of course there will be more detail (lines, points, areas, etc.) drawn at each zoom level compared to Normal. I always recommend using Normal and zooming in if you need to see more detail. Compared to Normal setting, More and Most will take longer to draw because there is more data to draw. The increased draw times likely won’t be noticeable when zoomed in, but they will be noticeably longer as you zoom out and are drawing much more detail in a larger area than compared to the Normal setting.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With chart detail set to More or Most, of course there will be more detail (lines, points, areas, etc.) drawn at each zoom level compared to Normal. I always recommend using Normal and zooming in if you need to see more detail. Compared to Normal setting, More and Most will take longer to draw because there is more data to draw. The increased draw times likely won’t be noticeable when zoomed in, but they will be noticeably longer as you zoom out and are drawing much more detail in a larger area than compared to the Normal setting.

I appreciate the information. I likely have seen the issue more frequently on lakes or areas of lakes with a higher amount of detail. For example, I'll be fishing the edge of a reef that has a steep drop with many contour lines, zoom out to find my next spot to fish and that's when it takes 15 - 20 seconds to fully render. Hopefully I'll have a chance to test the theory this weekend at various levels of chart details and will report back any findings.

It isn't ideal, but if I know the cause I can hopefully come up with a work-around to the issue. I was going to upgrade to G3 Ultra maps, but this issue has made me reconsider if it's going to render my unit too slow to use.

Thanks again!

-J

9. Member
    Update - I have not been able to reproduce the issue from my garage. Tried panning and recreating the issue with multiple chart detail levels, but couldn't. Will try again on the water in a couple days.