Winnipesaukee questions

Hey folks....
    Taking a trip to winni July 13-20th and bring my ranger along. I will be staying in tuftonboro, near cow island, more specifically right across from little birch island. Looking for any helpful information in targeting smallmouth during this time of year. My initial impressions will be to target humps or shoals or points in the 18-25ft zone, looking for scattered rock or cabbage....are there any good starting points close to little birch island? Any spots in this area that hold rock and cabbage? Do these fish use a particular depth during this time of year? Safe to assume perch or alewife colors are the ticket?......just looking for any additional information to help make a successful trip during this time of year as I'd rather fish than stare at my side imaging and sonar for a week. Just a little info to shorten the learning curve please. Also, what is the best/safest boat launch in the area?...

I would sincerely appreciate any and all helpful information anyone is willing to share

Thank you!!

I would fish Squam and Newfound before Winni. Winni has small fish and can be tough especially with the pleasure boaters.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Member
    Best launch close to where you are staying is the Libby museum launch in winter harbor. Smallmouth fishing on humps will be your best bet. Get a lake map and locate some in the area you are staying in, pretty easy to do. Moultonboro bay is not far from where you will be, spend a few hours with your electronics and find the schools of bait in 25 to 45 ft. Fish a drop shot once you locate an area. Good luck and let us know how you did when you return.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    I would fish Squam and Newfound before Winni. Winni has small fish and can be tough especially with the pleasure boaters.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I would love to fish squam or Newfoundland, but this is kinda more of a big family trip and were staying right on winni so I really dont see leaving there. I understand the fishing can be less than ideal, but if we can put some 2-3 lb smallies in the boat that's a success for us there. Anyone know how deep the cabbage grows there?

Get yourself a Bizer Chart. That will be extremely helpful as you navigate your way around the lake. Smallies may not be as deep as usual because of the weather. I think early am topwater off Marriotts (FL 19 on chart) is a good start. Then work drops to 20 feet or so early in the day. Then start ducking the boat traffic....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post

Won’t find my sorry arse on Newfound after July 4....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Won’t find my sorry arse on Newfound after July 4....
    That place is tough as hell in July and August...

9. Member
    Is that bizer chart that much better than the navionics I have on my humminbird?

10. Member
    Is Marriott's a point?, island?, cove? I dont have that chart as of now so I'm just curious what and where it is...

It is a chart that folds and you can hold in your hand while you navigate...LOL there is no shame in being sure. Google
    Bizer Chart Lake Winnipesauke.

12. Member
    If you can’t find one let me know I might have an extra.
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    So do yourself a favor and just buy a lakemaster card for your birds. With 1 ft contour intervals and all the markers on there you will be good to go.

14. Member
    Thank you everyone very much appreciated!

15. Member
    Well, it was a great stay with great weather(a little hot but cant complain). I heard about the rock bass numbers but my god, I've never seen such a thing. If you were willing to be patient and weed through the dozens and dozens of rock bass, you were able to grab some smallmouth. The smallmouth fishing was plentiful, but no real size as most fish were between 1.5 lbs and 2.5 lbs. The shorter the fish the bigger the belly, the longer the fish the thinner it was. Caught all of our smallmouth between 15 and 30 feet of water almost all on perch colored tubes.....great trip, fishing was ehh, beautiful views

16. Member
    Glad you had a good week and yes it was warm. Ya the rock bass population is getting stupid there. Like you said you need to weed through the rock bass to get the smallmouth to bite.