How much more useless can the Justice System get? Knoxville Tn

A dude was arrested after a police chase and there was found in the passenger seat half of a dead body. They figured out who the dead guy was by finding the legs and but with his pants and wallet where the wasted guy hit him and killed him.

The next day this murderer is released on $75,000 bond.

There has has to be some kind of minimum expectations of justice. Killing someone and getting caught with half the body surely warrants being locked up longer than it takes to sleep off a drunk?

2. Member
    That is an odd situation for sure. You would have to be some kind of crazy to be driving around with half a body in your car. No bail IMO.

3. Member
    And yet we insist on locking people up for life for marijuana. Makes you wonder.

4. Member
    When I read the story, I think I read the body was that of a pedestrian hit during the crash at the end of a police chase
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

5. Member
    Wrongful death probably not murder or bond would be more than 75000.

6. Member
    Don't see any thing wrong with that ????????????????????

7. Member
    Our justice system needs an overhaul

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    How that person got a bond without a full bond hearing is beyond me. Here that person would get a no bond, or a 2+ million dollar bond, and their attorney would have to file for a bond hearing before the judge that is going to hear the case.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    When I read the story, I think I read the body was that of a pedestrian hit during the crash at the end of a police chase
    The way I understood from the news was the pedestrian was hit somewhere else not at the scene of the crash after the chase. Who knows with the sorry level of reporting these days.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    A dude was arrested after a police chase and there was found in the passenger seat half of a dead body. They figured out who the dead guy was by finding the legs and but with his pants and wallet where the wasted guy hit him and killed him.

The next day this murderer is released on $75,000 bond.

There has has to be some kind of minimum expectations of justice. Killing someone and getting caught with half the body surely warrants being locked up longer than it takes to sleep off a drunk?
    Unless he's shown to be a mass killer, serial killer or a flight risk that won't show up for his court date he has the absolute right to be free on bond until he is found guilty by a court and sentenced. Doesn't really matter what he did.

11. Member
    The way I understood from the news was the pedestrian was hit somewhere else not at the scene of the crash after the chase. Who knows with the sorry level of reporting these days.
    It could be that he hit him in one place on Sutherland, and then crashed the car further down the same road. It's hard to really tell...I reckon I was just trying to piece together the driver blowing out his tire going up the curb on Sutherland and striking the utility pole shortly thereafter, and thinking that once the car went up the curb and onto the sidewalk it didn't go back to the road. Dunno. Sounds like we'll be hearing more about this story, though. The links below describe the accident scene(s) differently.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news...ound-in-car-2/
    https://www.wbir.com/article/news/cr...f-a48d5542a0d2
    -David Daye

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Unless he's shown to be a mass killer, serial killer or a flight risk that won't show up for his court date he has the absolute right to be free on bond until he is found guilty by a court and sentenced. Doesn't really matter what he did.
    Pretty well defined. As Casslaw also stated there are some States that may require an actual bond hearing. Kansas is one of them in certain cases. Most bonds here are automatic or done in a 1st appearance which our State requires to be done as soon as possible but no more than 72 hours after the arrest. The more atrocious crimes will require a bond hearing after the 1st appearance judge rules them non bondable. That hearing has to be held within two weeks here. We basically follow the fo;;owing excerpt.

The Power of the Eighth Amendment

The Eighth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, prohibits the government from imposing excessive bail on individuals.
    There are also certain types of crimes for which the safety of the public dictates, that no bail can be set or that bail be established at a high enough amount that it will be impossible for the person convicted of the crime to pay for it. These offenses include instances in which there a high flight risk, multiple murders, murders so gruesome that the public conscience is shocked, and serial sexual assaults.
    Bail Reform Act of 1984

In 1984, Congress passed the Bail Reform Act of 1984. This law allows pre-trial detention of individuals if that person is a danger to the community. This includes a narrow group of individuals including those who have committed crimes of violence, repeat felony offenders, and other people who pose a significant danger to the community. In 2006, the Adam Walsh Amendments to the Bail Reform Act of 1984 were passed, which state that any person accused of a crime involving a minor must be confined, placed under curfew, and must frequently report to law enforcement. Many of the regulations and terms of Bail Reform Act of 1984 still influence how bonds are treated in the United States.

13. Banned
    It works great to deter honest people but criminals sure don't seem to get much punishment from the Justice system now a days.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    It works great to deter honest people but criminals sure don't seem to get much punishment from the Justice system now a days.
    It seems that way sometimes. There are many facets to the Justice system but on this subject of bonds or bail the protections in place are to protect you and I from a possible over zealous Government. It is afforded to all and designed to err on the side of the accused. Our forefathers decided this for us.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    It could be that he hit him in one place on Sutherland, and then crashed the car further down the same road. It's hard to really tell...I reckon I was just trying to piece together the driver blowing out his tire going up the curb on Sutherland and striking the utility pole shortly thereafter, and thinking that once the car went up the curb and onto the sidewalk it didn't go back to the road. Dunno. Sounds like we'll be hearing more about this story, though. The links below describe the accident scene(s) differently.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news...ound-in-car-2/
    https://www.wbir.com/article/news/cr...f-a48d5542a0d2
    The WBIR article says they went back to the scene where he hit the pedestrian. The radio news didn’t say it was on Sutherland Ave. Sorry reporting on the radios part. My bad for miss understanding that part. I still have a hard time turning this guy loose. The articles say he was driving on a suspended license so apparently the law doesn’t mean much to him. Some guy is out for a walk and gets cut in two pieces by a drunk who’s home the next evening.

16. Banned
    There have been countless times that drunk drivers, who have been convicted many, many times, get their license back and kill innocent people. People who drink and drive think they are incapable of having a accident. Then when it happens they still can not figure it out. They are all mentally challenged and need help but those around them can not see that because they are also. It is a sad situation but i see no end in sight.. the bottom of the barrel just seems to replenish daily.

Last edited by fishinarc; 11-03-2022 at 04:36 AM.

18. Member
    The WBIR article says they went back to the scene where he hit the pedestrian. The radio news didn’t say it was on Sutherland Ave. Sorry reporting on the radios part. My bad for miss understanding that part. I still have a hard time turning this guy loose. The articles say he was driving on a suspended license so apparently the law doesn’t mean much to him. Some guy is out for a walk and gets cut in two pieces by a drunk who’s home the next evening.
    I agree with you on both points: it’s hard to make sense of where the collision with the pedestrian took place and where the car crashed into a utility pole, as well as the fact he shouldn’t have been bonded out so quickly.

I “heard” the DA was going to try to revoke his bond. Probably fitting because like you said, this particular person appears to have no regard for the law
    -David Daye

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    He’d previously lost his license and continued driving with no regard for the law.

By his own admission he was driving drunk, with no regard for the general public.

He evaded arrest, driving away from the police and causing a chase scenario which could’ve ended in injury or death for the responding officer.

He then killed a guy who’d been through hard times and was finally getting his life together.

Following your thought process, what could possibly go wrong by letting him out on bail?

Even for a resident BBC cop hater your logic is silly.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    He’d previously lost his license and continued driving with no regard for the law.

By his own admission he was driving drunk, with no regard for the general public.

He evaded arrest, driving away from the police and causing a chase scenario which could’ve ended in injury or death for the responding officer.

He then killed a guy who’d been through hard times and was finally getting his life together.

Following your thought process, what could possibly go wrong by letting him out on bail?

Even for a resident BBC cop hater your logic is silly.

Headline should read: "Man Shot After Chase, Body Found in Suspect's Car".