Total Scan Transducer Installation

Hello,

I have the total scan transducer installed and it seems to work when going no faster than 5-9 mph, but once I hit about 10-15 and above nothing works. In reading the document I'm supposed to be able to get reading at much faster speeds. Do I have this place in the wrong place? Any suggestions? The design of the boat does not allow me to place it any where else because of the side scan. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    The primary reason your image 'plays out' the faster you go is due to the mounting location. One of two things is happening ....... either #1. the water is beginning to get too turbulent coming off the bottom of the pad and swirling behind the step in the transom, or #2. the boat is beginning to go fast enough that the water is rushing off the bottom of the pad and beginning to form an air pocket right there as the boat is starting to go through it's holeshot routine to get on plane.

As for mounting:
    1. Most of us 'flush mount' our StructureScan transducers to that large (long) flat step just above where you got your's mounted. We screw the transducer directly to the fiberglass (not even using the metal mounting bracket). Silicone screws and screw holes to prevent water. A quick search should yield images on this site fairly quickly.
    2. In doing so, all of us lose Imaging at some point in the holeshot process and don't have it while on plane.
    3. If you 'just have to have Imaging at faster speeds, like while on plane'. Some of these DownScan transducers can be mounted so that it's slightly skimming the water while on plane ....... but be prepared to lose top end speed. Just note that these are the standard DownImaging transducers and typically all you get with them in DownImagine and sonar.
    4. If you decide to do this and mount it in a location in front of the prop, expect to have handling issues due to the prop not getting clean water to it.

I'm no Expert ........ not Prostaff ...... and I don't even play one on TV ............ just my experiences with more boats than I can remember owning.

YMMV ...... Hope it helps.
    -391v
    Last edited by Ranger391v; 06-19-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    Epoxied 2D ducer in bilge for hi-speed depth, and as 391v states, structure ducer under step for slow speed scnning.

Post this in the Lowrance board, most likely get some more feedback there.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    sure looks to me like it mounted in the wrong place,i mounted my 2n1 on the flat long step above where yours is,i bought the mount from lowrance to mount it (i think its called a step mount)

5. Member
    If you decide to mount it to the underside of the step (Thats what I would do) be sure it is far enough back to clear the chines on either side.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

6. Member
    Here is a good video showing you how to mount it and adjust it.
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

7. Member
    After watching the video not attaching it to the step is a better idea.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Member
    i was thinking when ranger installed a factory 3n1 and 2n1 they mounted them on the step

Please keep in mind that the sidescan sonar isn't designed to work at speeds above 3-5 mph. Only the 2d sonar will work at faster speeds and that is if (a big if) you can get laminar flow over the transducer.

I once spent a whole summer with adjusting a transducer on the back of my Ranger trying to get readings at speed. Finally gave up on the idea as it never worked above 40 mph. I now have a 2d puck mounted inside on the bottom of the step and it works well. To use the totalscan transducer I have to change the transducer type in my Lowrance setup screen. A little bit of a pain in the butt, but I don't use the sidescan that much except trying to map new waters.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Epoxied 2D ducer in bilge for hi-speed depth, and as 391v states, structure ducer under step for slow speed scnning.

Post this in the Lowrance board, most likely get some more feedback there.
    This is what I had to do. I used the Y cable to do it. I never could get the totalscan to keep depth reading while on plane.

11. Member
    Thank you all for all your feedback. I’m new to all of this. After reading all your comments I found this product. https://johnnyraysports.com/product/...ducer-bracket/. What are your thoughts?