Lower Unit Replacement (TM vs Standard)

Mercury
    Model # 250 Pro XS
    Serial # 1B548414

On a 2008 Triton Tr20x

My lower unit is finished. I need a replacement. They said a new TM is near $7,000! Unbelievable. I have heard I can get a new standard anywhere from $2,500 to $4,200. I知 guessing Don is going to say I need to replace with what it originally came with (TM). That price difference is absurd. Please tell me I値l be fine with a standard.

I have only had this boat since November. I absolutely love it. I have gained a lot of confidence driving it. I have been getting it up to 73 mph at about 5700 rpm (I think). That is about as fast as I want to go. I知 not sure how much faster it will go with someone who really knows how to drive it. Anyway, I知 giving that bit of information in case it helps you guys give me feedback on this. Thank you all!

2. Member
    Verado/ servicemaster will work just fine.

3. Member
    I don't think the $7000 price is correct for a Generation 1 Torquemaster. That price is more inline for a Generation 2 Torquemaster. You need a Generation 1.

Torquemasters are one tough lower unit. IMO, they are worth every bit what they cost. I just asked about a new Torquemaster from a dealer. $6200.00 installed. I've seen some online prices in the $5500.00 range.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Am I having a senior moment or did I read somewhere that a Gen2 TM should not be used on a motor designed for a Gen1 TM???

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Am I having a senior moment or did I read somewhere that a Gen2 TM should not be used on a motor designed for a Gen1 TM???
    You are correct 06.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Was mine for sure Gen 1? My mechanic said this is my part number: 8m0072952

8. Member
    I’m on the phone with Morristown Marine right now and they’re saying Gen 1 is $6,800.

9. Member
    And a standard is $4,700. Well I was hoping I’d have a cheaper option. I may be without for a while.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got eem View Post
    And a standard is $4,700. Well I was hoping I’d have a cheaper option. I may be without for a while.
    plenty of good used ones for $2000 to $3000.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I don't think the $7000 price is correct for a Generation 1 Torquemaster. That price is more inline for a Generation 2 Torquemaster. You need a Generation 1.
    depends on dealer MSRP is just south of 7k I mean just ,I know some that add 10-15 % onto list , shame

I’d buy a used one for $2-$3000 and u will be fine...
    don has normally got a couple in stock
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Use a Gen-1 TM Gearcase. The Verado-style uses a different shift plate set, as there is a slight offset (difference) between the two gearcases.

There are some used ones out there- new (with warranty) has it's benefits, also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    $6800 is just what I paid.
    Dave