Thread: Maxxum issue

Maxxum issue

Hi. I have a around an 8 year old maxxum. It started cutting out when i try to turn right. Its like it works to the half way point but if i start turning right i lose power. I can then turn it all way back to left and prop starts spinning again. Opened the head and i had melted wires so i replaced. Still the same symptoms. Jus wondering if this is a sign of the aramture going out or a different problem? Thanks.

2. Member
    I'm making the assumption that this is a variable speed Maxxum. It is probably the control board, more specific the wire going from the control board to the speed control has a break in it and as you move the footpedal, the wire either makes or disconnects the circuit.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Repair of melted wires in the head must be done "right". Hope you had the necessary skills. They need clean wire, not burnt, good terminal ends and the proper crimpers. If you can pull 30-40 pounds and the crimp holds it was probably done right. Well, I didn't see John's post. If the problem is not in the head...he ought to know. Good luck.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. So the "band" wire is causing the problems? I guess i need a board replacement. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger150hp View Post
    Thanks guys. So the "band" wire is causing the problems? I guess i need a board replacement. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Over time, the flexing of the ribbon cable can cause it to break behind the blue speed control switch. This causes the motor to come on / off with the movement of the pedal. However, this should not have caused the burned wires in the head. If they are burned in the head, there is a good chance they are burned all the way down to the lower unit. I would get the wiring corrected first, then if it still does it, change the control board. We keep the control boards in stock.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]