Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I have a really good Dentist. I mean really good. I know he's good because I worked in a Dental lab for a little bit.
    I asked him about those.. Teeth in a day commercials. You know, the instant implant ones. He said if you don't really care about what you get they are ok.. for a while. I have an implant coming and they aren't cheap. I also know his machine to make them costs 100k. That's not cheap either.

2. Member
    My Swedish relatives have work done in Thailand while vacationing there in their winter. Seems that they have had quality work performed a discount prices compared to the cost in Sweden. They have been going to Thailand for a number of years now, so I assume they have some reliable contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    So the BBC consensus is that it is way too risky to have a drink in Punta Cana but 3rd world dental surgery is highly recommended??
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Banned
    I cant imagine the thought process of jumping on a plane to some shit-hole country like Turkey just to save 5 grand on a tooth implant.

5. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    So the BBC consensus is that it is way too risky to have a drink in Punta Cana but 3rd world dental surgery is highly recommended??
    That just about sums it up

Dale Sinclair original

6. Member
    I'm a dentist (pediatric) but I'll give some input here. You can get bad dentistry anywhere. Y'all mentioned Quito, I just saw a missionary family a few days ago from Ecuador that the kids had some work done down there and mom was skeptical. Mom was right, decay left under fillings plus she was charged for 1 tooth that was not touched by the dentist. That being said, hopefully my work doesn't get judged by people because of someone else doing bad work in my area. The biggest problem I have with going overseas for treatment is what do you do when you have a problem? Hop back on the plane and go back? Also on the cost, I heard a dentist say once that he has 2 houses, 3 cars and paid in full for 3 kids to go through college all by getting paid to treat a disease that is 100% preventable...think about that for a minute. Prevention is much cheaper!!

Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    I'm a dentist (pediatric) but I'll give some input here. You can get bad dentistry anywhere. Y'all mentioned Quito, I just saw a missionary family a few days ago from Ecuador that the kids had some work done down there and mom was skeptical. Mom was right, decay left under fillings plus she was charged for 1 tooth that was not touched by the dentist. That being said, hopefully my work doesn't get judged by people because of someone else doing bad work in my area. The biggest problem I have with going overseas for treatment is what do you do when you have a problem? Hop back on the plane and go back? Also on the cost, I heard a dentist say once that he has 2 houses, 3 cars and paid in full for 3 kids to go through college all by getting paid to treat a disease that is 100% preventable...think about that for a minute. Prevention is much cheaper!!
    I recently had a crown come off after a couple of years due to decay underneath, work performed wasn’t properly done to begin with. This was from a dentist who had been in business for years and was about to retire. Like you said, bad work can be received anywhere. It seems a lot of our doctors are being trained overseas these days. Just had a guy I work with tell me his son was going to medical school outside of the USA due to it being much cheaper.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Check Quito, Ecuador. It’s one of the places I know some airline personnel have dental work done. I had a previous coworker than married a dentist from Quito. From what i understand they have a good healthcare system. You can get any medications also, unlike the ripoff you get here with prescription medications.
    I flew in to Quito once on a mission trip. Based on the teeth I saw there, a dentist would starve to death or be on welfare.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

9. Banned
    Dominican Republic?????

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    I flew in to Quito once on a mission trip. Based on the teeth I saw there, a dentist would starve to death or be on welfare.
    You most likely saw the worst parts of Quito area if you were on a mission trip. I could care less where anyone gets their dental work done or if they get it done at all. I just answered the OP’s question. Search Equator health care and there’s lots of good info regarding it. You’d obviously want to do some research and not just go to anyone, anywhere. Personally, I get mine done in the USA but I’d not have an issue if I could save $10,000 or so dollars in certain places. I believe Costa Rica has good healthcare also.

11. Banned
    I recently had a crown come off after a couple of years due to decay underneath, work performed wasn’t properly done to begin with. This was from a dentist who had been in business for years and was about to retire. Like you said, bad work can be received anywhere. It seems a lot of our doctors are being trained overseas these days. Just had a guy I work with tell me his son was going to medical school outside of the USA due to it being much cheaper.
    Wife and I both had this happen. She went in three days ago and they had to pull it. Now she needs a implant. Yes this was in the US.

12. Member
    Just buy your own 3D printer and make some teeth!

https://sprintray.com/buyers-guide/dental-3d-printer/

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Wife and I both had this happen. She went in three days ago and they had to pull it. Now she needs a implant. Yes this was in the US.
    Don't forget that everything in dentistry is temporary except an extraction. If that crown lasted 20 years then had to be pulled then I'd say it did it's job.

14. Banned
    Don't forget that everything in dentistry is temporary except an extraction. If that crown lasted 20 years then had to be pulled then I'd say it did it's job.
    20 years! Heck yeah that would be great. It was 4 years for her and six for me.

Mine was a little over 2 years, had one crack after a couple of months also. Different dentist different states. The dentists where the one cracked after a couple of months told me that they'd had numerous crowns cracks from their supplier and decided to switch. The one that cracked was a nightmare to get off, dentist didn't think he'd ever get it off.

As I said earlier, my current dentist also teaches at college and he's on some state board. He told me he wouldn't let a lot of dentist touch him they are so bad. It's like every occupation though, you always have the bad ones.

16. Banned
    Mine was a little over 2 years, had one crack after a couple of months also. Different dentist different states. The dentists where the one cracked after a couple of months told me that they'd had numerous crowns cracks from their supplier and decided to switch. The one that cracked was a nightmare to get off, dentist didn't think he'd ever get it off.

As I said earlier, my current dentist also teaches at college and he's on some state board. He told me he wouldn't let a lot of dentist touch him they are so bad. It's like every occupation though, you always have the bad ones.
    Heres my opinion, I think theres more money in trying to save the tooth rather than a extraction. I could be way off base but we keep hearing a lot about these failed crowns.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    I cant imagine the thought process of jumping on a plane to some shit-hole country like Turkey just to save 5 grand on a tooth implant.
    Just remember those folks putting their hand in your mouth don't use toilet paper lol.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Just remember those folks putting their hand in your mouth don't use toilet paper lol.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Heres my opinion, I think theres more money in trying to save the tooth rather than a extraction. I could be way off base but we keep hearing a lot about these failed crowns.
    To me it's more that the extraction is the last resort. There's actually more money in it by extracting, placing an implant then crowning the implant. The problem is that if the implant goes bad you're in trouble. If a crown goes bad then you get the implant and maybe you bought several years from the crown.

20. Banned
    To me it's more that the extraction is the last resort. There's actually more money in it by extracting, placing an implant then crowning the implant. The problem is that if the implant goes bad you're in trouble. If a crown goes bad then you get the implant and maybe you bought several years from the crown.
    Pay once cry once? hahaha.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast