Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Have you ever been to Turkey? Just wondering where the qualification comes from to refer to Turkey as a "shit-hole"...
    As a matter of fact I have never been , but was offered a teaching job there about 12 years ago and did some extensive research before I grabbed the big contractor money for a 6 month stint and left. In my research of Americans living in Turkey (even in a rural agriculture areas) one thing kept popping up "Shit-hole..... shit-hole" Now you know also.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    And this is why I only work on kids so I don't have to deal with crap like this!!
    -
    LOL......smart man.......I don’t blame yah there!

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I can't be the only one who sees the irony of this discussion, compared to the frequent discussions of healthcare here.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I can't be the only one who sees the irony of this discussion, compared to the frequent discussions of healthcare here.
    According to the VA unless you’re 100% disabled dental work isn’t tied to healthcare.

I sell a few lines of dental insurance. Most cap out at 1,500.00 a year. As a military “retiree” I can now buy into the federal group plans. I pay 77.00 a month for a plan that caps at 15,000.00.

After we pay in for Medicare We have no choice but to buy it OR not buy it and pay a penalty when needed and we do buy it) people find out Medicare, IE the government doesn’t consider dental healthcare.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/dental-services

People seem to expect no healthcare related expenses these days. As mentioned above a whole bunch of this is preventable. I visit my dentist twice a year, always have. Scratch that, in the AD military I went once a year.

If someone wants to travel outside the USA for healthcare...well, thank goodness they are free to do that in America. I recruited docs for years. I’ll try and keep my healthcare here. I DO buy basic prescriptions overseas. I keep prednisone and some antibiotics on hand. It can take a week or longer to get a doc appointment on the military base. Going to the ER with a non emergency will result in a huge bill.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    According to the VA unless you’re 100% disabled dental work isn’t tied to healthcare.

I sell a few lines of dental insurance. Most cap out at 1,500.00 a year. As a military “retiree” I can now buy into the federal group plans. I pay 77.00 a month for a plan that caps at 15,000.00.
    I could be wrong here but at $77 a month I'd think you'd be better off not having dental insurance and just pay out of pocket. 2 cleanings, exams and x-rays a year would be cheaper than $77 a month plus how often does someone spend $15,000 a year on dental? Maybe once in a lifetime. I guess it would help if you're always getting work done (fillings, crowns, etc.) but if you're pretty low maintenance then I wouldn't worry and just put the $77 a month into your own personal dental expense account to use when needed.

6. Member
    Traveling through Tennessee a few months back, I saw a guy on the side of the road with his trunk open and a sign, saying dental work cheap. He may still be there.

My FIL had a tooth come out of his top bridge, dentist wanted $300 to reset it.
    Every year my FIL used to winter in Donna Tx. He would go over to Mexico often. He stopped at a dentist office in Progresso and asked the price to reset the tooth in the bridge. Dentist said “ Let me check with my tech”. Total cost was $15 American dollars. Of course that was 15-16 years ago, probably $20 today.

He has had no trouble with it since it was repaired

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    "Shit-hole..... shit-hole"

I believe these guys were typing about 'Oral Care' so 'the other end' wasn't the 'anal care' addressed by the Thailand shot? Or was that for an 'AddADickToMe'? I'm so confused

9. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    for me, my health has no concern for cost...…….we get one life...…...I want the best care possible
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclark408 View Post
    for me, my health has no concern for cost...…….we get one life...…...I want the best care possible
    This is the most intelligent post I've seen yet

You guys need to do some research on medical mistakes and how many people die each year in hospitals. We were told 241,000 people died in 2017 due to mistakes by medical personnel. We had a well known guy that travels the world and has a large consulting company give us lots of statistics of high risk industries and errors made, how to prevent them. The medical field is way behind in this area and still doesn’t use many of the procedures/practices that the airline industry has used for decades.

Several years ago my wife was at the emergency room, she was pregnant. Lady in the room next door was screaming in pain. Few minutes uses later a nurse comes to n our room to give my wife a lot of paid medicine. I confronted the nurse numerous times and told her I didn’t think the pain medication was for my wife and to not give it to her until it was verified. Lady got mad and told me to mind my own business. About 20 minutes later a lot of high ranking medical personnel were in our room apologizing and explaining there had been a huge mistake. Lady that was in severe pain was very big, my wife weighed 110 pounds. It was a bad situation and luckily no severe side effects but we had about every high ranking hospital manager in our room until we left.

According to a recent study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 people in the United States die every year because of medical mistakes, making it the third leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
    Last edited by C130; 06-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    You guys need to do some research on medical mistakes and how many people die each year in hospitals. We were told 241,000 people died in 2017 due to mistakes by medical personnel. We had a well known guy that travels the world and has a large consulting company give us lots of statistics of high risk industries and errors made, how to prevent them. The medical field is way behind in this area and still doesn’t use many of the procedures/practices that the airline industry has used for decades.

Several years ago my wife was at the emergency room, she was pregnant. Lady in the room next door was screaming in pain. Few minutes uses later a nurse comes to n our room to give my wife a lot of paid medicine. I confronted the nurse numerous times and told her I didn’t think the pain medication was for my wife and to not give it to her until it was verified. Lady got mad and told me to mind my own business. About 20 minutes later a lot of high ranking medical personnel were in our room apologizing and explaining there had been a huge mistake. Lady that was in severe pain was very big, my wife weighed 110 pounds. It was a bad situation and luckily no severe side effects but we had about every high ranking hospital manager in our room until we left.
    Thank the current medical insurance/care situation we are currently in. Overworked and underpaid are two variables that you don't want medical professionals to be in. Time is money and cheaper employees are used when possible. That includes doctors, dentists, nurses etc. Unfortunately hospitals are a business so the dollar matters. You cut money for the hospitals/health professionals we all suffer. It's a sad situation honestly.

13. Member
    Saw on the news yesterday a teacher from Alabama went to the DR for some elective surgery....died there from complications from the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    Thank the current medical insurance/care situation we are currently in. Overworked and underpaid are two variables that you don't want medical professionals to be in. Time is money and cheaper employees are used when possible. That includes doctors, dentists, nurses etc. Unfortunately hospitals are a business so the dollar matters. You cut money for the hospitals/health professionals we all suffer. It's a sad situation honestly.
    I agree and disagree to a point. If you look at the airline industry over the last 20-30 years the work rules were a joke and pay, especially at the entry level, was poverty level. Safety level was still outstanding but that’s due to the training, yearly recurrent training, and more importantly the strict procedures and standardization used in the airline industry. The scenario with my wife I gave above is a prime example, no way that should ever happen. Given the fact I questioned the nurse more than once and I was very direct really shows there’s an issue. This was at a hospital in Brentwood/Franklin TN, a very nice area, not some podunk small town.

My advice is that if you have a loved one in the hospital, especially an elderly person or a child, you damn well better have another family staying with them 24/7. My Mom came down with a cold and in 1 1/2 days it turned into pneumonia. We took her to the ER and they admitted her. We told all of the staff that she had Alzheimer's and could not competently answer their questions. Yet, they repeatedly would ask her how she was feeling and about her health history. Similarly, we told the staff that she required a soft food diet due to her Alzheimer's (the brain forgets to tell the esophagus muscles to push the food down to the stomach and it just backs up in the esophagus, which causes choking. Taking a drink of water, the logical thing to do, makes it many times worse, as the water just lays on top of the food. The result is a sever case is aspiration into the lungs.) And, we made made a special call to the Dietary Dept. to discuss her menu and what foods must not be served to her. In particular, bread. She loves bread but chokes on it every time. Guess what was on her plate at every meal...bread. Well, every meal until my wife went down to Dietary and raised hell with them face to face. Had we not been there, she would have eaten the bread and choked. If the nurses discovered this, they would have given her water. She would have aspirated...etc. My wife's Mom died in the hospital because of staff incompetence. Since then, we're overly cautious.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345