Shimano Expride Rods

I'm looking to add these to the arsenal and have a few questions. First... which model is preferred for frogging? Second... is the 7 MH Glass a good small crank / squarebill rod. I'm coming out of the Dobyns line of cranking rod and was curious how they compare.

2. Member
    First off, they are hard as hell to get. Always on backorder. I have a 7'6" MH. Lucked into it. Phenomenal rods. Can't tell you how well they perform. Light, sensitive, etc. Lone drawback is no hook holder/keeper. It's a $250 rod that fishes like a $400 rod.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

3. Member
    Awesome rod for the money...If you're always fishing in or around heavy cover i would go for the 7' 3" extra hvy if not then I would chose the heavy model. I have the 7' 2" MH glass and I used it for chatterbaits but it would be a good rod for smaller cranks and squarebills. I haven't used the glass Dobyns rod yet so I can't compare.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

4. Member
    Thanks... I ordered several I got the 7'2 Heavy for Frogging I also got the glass rod for Chatterbaits... I'll post my opinions

5. Member
    I have the 7'2" MH Glass Composite and I think you'll really love it for chatterbaits and squarebills. Like kercha83 though, I haven't used the Dobyns rods to compare.

6. Member
    I've fished both the ExPride and the Dobyns. I'll take the ExPride and in my opinion, not even close. Plus, the dam Dobyns broke on a simple hookset. Dobyns are sweet rods, too, but they'll break.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

7. Member
    I just got some Exprides in the mail... I agree... there way better than my Dobyns rods

8. Member
    I use the 7’2 heavy and it’s my favorite froggin stick. The 7’3 XH is also good if you’re fishing thick vegetation. I like the 7’2 MH for squarebills. It’s a great all around moving bait rod.

9. Member
    I love mine! I have discontinued shimano crucials with lifetime warranties. So when they break they give me 50% off rod of my choice. Plan on buying exprides whenever one breaks!

10. Member
    I have an Expride med spinning rod and absolutley love it .... great stick
    07 Pantera IV /200 Mercury Optimax

11. Member
    i have a few and love them as well i have some higher end stuff and still pick up the exprides a lot while fishing. i really like the 6'10 med for jerkbaits. 7'2 med hvy as an all purpose rod for lighter spinnerbaits, swimjigs, and the like. and the 7'2 hvy for jigs, frogs, magdraft 6' baits.

12. Member
    I have the 7’2 glass composite and the 7’2 MH. I like them both. Haven’t gotten out with them too much, but they are sensitive and tough! I like the glass for squarebills. I have a dobyns 705cb that I also use for squarebills. Might get rid of my dobyns because the expride is hard to beat. The 7’2MH I have rigged with a trig currently, but might use it for a spinnerbait or small jig. Great rods!!