Question Map Performance Issues - Echomap Plus 93sv

I'm curious if others are seeing poor map performance on the EM+93sv? My console unit frequently takes 10-20 seconds to draw contour lines when bringing up the map for the first time or zooming in/out. This is a major hassle when moving between spots on the lake.

My setup - 2 EM+ 93sv w/ G3 maps preloaded on the units, LVS32, GMS10 to network everything. Latest firmware on all devices.

While on the lake last week I recalled a prior thread about map issues when running from an SD card, but mine are preloaded so I wouldn't expect issues. I tried removing SD cards from both units, but that didn't improve performance at all.

I realize the 93's aren't top of the line, but this kind of slowness for brand new units is quite disappointing.

-J

2. Member
    Nobody else seeing performance issues with G3 maps on the Echomap Plus units?

3. Member
    Yikes, I hope not. I have almost the exact same setup except mine + units have the G2 maps, with 1 of them having the new HD chips. They are sitting on top of my desk waiting for an install.

4. Member
    I’m having the same problem. Both mine were G2 maps. No problem at all before the update. Now it’s slower than any unit I’ve owned.
    2015 Phoenix 819

5. Member
    @jsu - are you saying you have issues after updating the unit's firmware or after updating mapping from G2 to G3?

6. Member
    I have the same setup and haven’t noticed delays that long in rendering maps.

7. Member
    Same setup using map update card. Literally 20sec to draw a map. Garmin need stop fix!

8. Member
    I have (2) 93+ SV's, (1) 73+ CV, LVS32, networked via GMS10. I purchased my units in December 2018...i.e. prior to the G3 map updates and prior to the software update that allowed units to share a single Active Captain SD card. At this time map regeneration when both zooming in/out and/or running across the lake was adequate.

Just after installing the update that allowed SD card sharing I also added the, large, 9gb, G3 map file to the single Active Captain SD card remaining on the network. This is when things slowed down for me. I have no idea if was a result of the large map file and/or the SD card sharing across the network. I suspect the issue could be the result of both.

I have since removed the G3 map file from the SD card and I download only the specific / needed map tiles via Active Captain for my fishing trips. In this case the units no longer read the large G3 file but only the "fractional / specific" map data I choose to download via Active Captain. My units now run as fast as they did prior.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I’m having the same problem. Both mine were G2 maps. No problem at all before the update. Now it’s slower than any unit I’ve owned.
    I updated both between trips, so I never had the chance to see which update would have caused it. The only other thing that I plan to try is to add a card for AC on the other unit. As of now, I have a card in one unit and the other is connected via ethernet. Not sure if that would make a difference or not, but I'll be trying it soon.
    2015 Phoenix 819

10. Member
    Just got a EM+ 93sv with G3 preloaded, stand alone. Haven't had any issues with too much lag when zooming in or out, just about what I would expect from this price point. No prob bringing up either.

11. Member
    Welp, I downloaded updates to my new EM+ 93sv and 73sv annnd...now they are slower. Not 10-20 seconds, but slower.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country 69 View Post
    Welp, I downloaded updates to my new EM+ 93sv and 73sv annnd...now they are slower. Not 10-20 seconds, but slower.
    Lol shit. I don't want to update but I'll need to for livescope

13. Member
    Just updated my unit (Em+93sv) to sw ver 8.40, and my LiveScope GLS10 to ver 2.00 using AC (these are the latest). I have previously downloaded a few squares of the G3 map release (not the whole 9 GB map, just part of my state where I fish). I do not network to any other unit. I have not noticed any lag with the map, but will check again tomorrow and Thurs, when I go on the water for the first time with the LS system, to do the cal and start learning to use it. I'll post if I see any lag.

Edit: no lag on my unit that I can notice. Maybe it only happens when networking 2 or more units?
    Last edited by jawjatek; 06-28-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: info

14. Member
    I have a 93SV+ and a 73SV+, networked and neither are that slow. You do notice some lag when you turn on depth shading, but if you want better performance, turn it off. My fishing buddy has a 12" Lowrance HDS gen 2 and my 93 is loads faster than that thing drawing maps.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

15. Member
    The issue occurred for 3 days straight, but I haven't been able to recreate it since that time a fe weeks ago. I see some latency of a few seconds, but nothing in the 15-20 second range any longer. I'm hopeful the lag was a one-off and a few reboots corrected the issue.

16. Member
    Dang Air Force again. <--- Lowrance guy