Advice on a 518l. Looking to buy

Just looking for some opinions
    I am currently looking at at a 2019 518l with the 200 4s and ultrex auto pilot and 2 carbon 9s. I love the layout and the boat feels like and looks like the quality standard has been met in every way and place. My problem/hesitation is this boat and set up cost as much as some other brands 19 & 20 foot boats with very similar set ups, so the question is the quality and performance really there ? Example for comparison is a Triton 19 with a 225 4s is listed at the same price with very similar options.

2. Member
    You get what you pay for in my opinion. I have a 518c, with the TM in the water it is a great fishing platform. Mine runs 72 with me, full of fuel and too much gear so you won't win races.

3. Scraps
    It wouldn't be a terrible thing to consider the same brand, maybe bigger, a couple years used.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I just went out in in the 518L boat for the first time the other day with 200 FourStroke and I was Impressed to say the least. I have owned and been in alot of the 520 and 521 C and L boats but the 518 really impressed me for the size of the boat. I feel the stability was better than most competitors 20 foot boats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If you haven’t done so, you might price the Z519 [not L] with a 225 and all the options you feel you really would use and need—not perhaps every item on the list and then some. Well-equipped 519s can be very close to the 518L out the door...since you express a desire to know whether you can get more bang for your buck. On my 519 [2018] I even went back after taking delivery of the boat and added all the extra chrome trim that the 519c had. The beauty of this approach is twofold: first, you don’t have to bust your budget all at once, but in stages as you get settled in with the new boat, and second, once you have had the new boat for a while, you will have a much better feel for which items would really be a big deal and which would not. The temptation can be quite strong to just buy the loaded edition and be done. But at least 3/4 of the options on the L boat can be added later [or sooner] at much the same cost.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 06-18-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    I would buy the other brand longer boat...I drive a Z185 which is fine, but it is short and in my case only boat that fits my garage. I spent the weekend at Lake St Clair and it was windy!!

8. Member
    I just moved from a 20 ft boat to an 18 1/2 (185) while the 518 is a few inches longer and fishes a but bigger. It's a short boat. I would always lean to the larger boat with less bells and whistles. IMO Spend the money on the key factors, Boat Size, Motor, TM, and electronics. The rest is bells and whistles.

Also the 2020 z518 can now be rigged with a 200

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

10. Member
    24 gal livewell is also another down over a larger boat.

11. Member
    The Intercoastal designation generally adds $10k to the price of the boat. Although it is nice if you live on the sea coast, it is really not worth it if you don't.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    If you haven’t done so, you might price the Z519 [not L] with a 225 and all the options you feel you really would use and need—not perhaps every item on the list and then some. Well-equipped 519s can be very close to the 518L out the door...since you express a desire to know whether you can get more bang for your buck. On my 519 [2018] I even went back after taking delivery of the boat and added all the extra chrome trim that the 519c had. The beauty of this approach is twofold: first, you don’t have to bust your budget all at once, but in stages as you get settled in with the new boat, and second, once you have had the new boat for a while, you will have a much better feel for which items would really be a big deal and which would not. The temptation can be quite strong to just buy the loaded edition and be done. But at least 3/4 of the options on the L boat can be added later [or sooner] at much the same cost.
    This is the route I went. Comparing the 518L and the 519 I just felt I was getting a whole lot more boat for a couple thousand more.

13. Banned
    A leftover saves thousands then add all that other crap when You're not getting charged the 'chump rate'

Thank you

Thank you all for your opinions and advice ! I will let you know what I end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFLA View Post
    Also the 2020 z518 can now be rigged with a 200
    They should re-issue capacity stickers to earlier models to allow a 200!!
    Boatless

I made my choice and should get it late next week. 518l with Merc 200 pro Xs 4s Ultrex iPilot 2 power poles and carbon 9 and 7 on the bow

Thank You all for your opinions and contacting me to share information

Quote Originally Posted by mbeachy View Post
    I made my choice and should get it late next week. 518l with Merc 200 pro Xs 4s Ultrex iPilot 2 power poles and carbon 9 and 7 on the bow

Thank You all for your opinions and contacting me to share information

Congrats buddy I cant wait to hear what you think. The colors on that boat are awesome. Might be the best looking seats I have seen on a L boat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]