Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sabre FTD question

Hey guys. Iv tried searching everywhere but cant find an answer I'm looking for. Really interested in a sabre with a 150 or 175. But my question is fish ability! Usually always me and 1 other adult fishing. My question is how does the FTD fish if I fished 2 adults and a child out of it? Can you fish 3 adults? It's small and I know will be a bit cramped, but is it manageable? Especially if I make an insert to cover the step to make the deck full up front? Thanks for the replies everyone

2. Member
    I've fished three out of an 18 more times than I can count, including my Sabre FTD and my current RT188. The issue is today's long rods. If all three of you have 7 or 8' rods you better be careful! Don't start casting toward the front and back, watch each other before you cast. To be honest, when you do the math even a 20'er can be dangerous with three adults slinging a bunch of hooks at the end of 7 or 8 foot rods. The step doesn't need a cover. You will be standing on the nose of a Cat. The other person on the front deck is over your shoulder on the Sabre FTD. It isn't ideal, but it can be done as long as you don't go piling 10,000 rods on the deck LOL. My Sabre FTD had the step box instead of the full bench seat with the center fold over. If you opt for the step box (idea for two anglers because of the added storage) you will need a throw cushion for the center person to sit on when running. There isn't a back support there when you have this setup. I have a bench seat with the center fold down step on my current boat, but the entire area under the seat is storage.

The boat runs fine with a 150. It is flat out fun with a 175, think a go kart on the water.

I owned a Cougar and a fished from a PII a few times. There is a bunch more room in the Cougar. The PII decks are not that much bigger. They have a bunch more room in the seating area.

The only way I want to fish three adults out of a bass boat is if we are all experienced enough to know the consequences of hooking each other, yanking a weight out of a tree, setting the hook on a bite right at the boat, etc... When I have a kid with us (pretty common in my current 18'er) one of us is normally busy with the kid baiting hooks, retying something, getting them out of the weeds, etc...etc... and it's no biggie with them being in the boat as long as they listen.

I spent a weekend in my current RT188 with me, a guy I fish with, my wife, all three of us fishing, and his wife lounging around in the sun watching us. If you want a Sabre FTD then go for it. They are FANTASTIC 18'ers!

3. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Until I bought my Sabre FTD in 16', I had only owned 19'-21' boats for the 15 years before that, and the size of the boat worried me but I can say it has been a pleasant surprise. My wife always fishes with me and room is never an issue. We even both fish off the front deck from time to time. The location of the trolling motor pedal makes the boat fish bigger than it is IMO. Now it takes some getting used to but once you do its great. The only thing I really miss is the speed.

4. Member
    I own a 2002 Saber with a factory flippin deck. I just got back from 5 day trip to northern Wisconsin. Fished 3 grown men out of it for 4 days. Myself at 6’ #210, buddy is 6’ #220 and my brother is 6’7” #250. We never had an issue fishing with all of us. Had 30 rods on board (most in the locker when not in use) and we packed accordingly. I’ve got an Ultrex and a single 8’ power pole. Hole shot was never an issue which was very surprising as I’m outfitted with a 150 Mercury XR6. Ran the boat up to 55mph GPS with that load and 20 gallons of fuel. Pretty surprised with that actually and never ran it to the floor. Might have touched 60 but never tried. Obviously with that many rods and guys we had to situate things before taking off to our next spot but I was happy with what we had to work with

5. Member
    Thank you guys for the info! Iv been comparing the classic and the sabre. Sabre has a better finish and fit but they are close in price! Sabre will fit in my garage. Classic is close. Thanks again

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Until I bought my Sabre FTD in 16', I had only owned 19'-21' boats for the 15 years before that, and the size of the boat worried me but I can say it has been a pleasant surprise. My wife always fishes with me and room is never an issue. We even both fish off the front deck from time to time. The location of the trolling motor pedal makes the boat fish bigger than it is IMO. Now it takes some getting used to but once you do its great. The only thing I really miss is the speed.
    I missed the part about the trolling motor motor pedal placement. It is a huge factor with the usable front deck space on a BassCat. This got brought up on my last trip. After using it where it is placed I wouldn’t want to go back to a pedal father back on the deck

I had a Sabre FTD. I agree the forward pedal makes the front deck more roomy, and three anglers is possible but not ideal. Do you like to keep more than a few rods out on the deck? For me, I kept stepping on them. I eventually bought a PII and had the same problem. (The decks are near identical.) I walked through/crawled through a Classic and was very impressed with the overall size; especially the front deck. If the Classic was priced the same as the FTD and it would fit in my garage, I’d be all over it.

8. Member
    My basscat dealer gave me a price on a classic with a 200 at 44k stock. A sabre with a 175 at 42k stock. I want about 5k in total upgrades. So honestly price is basically the same unless I roll with a sabre 150. But I have a 20x20 garage and I think the classic may be just a tiny bit to big

Quote Originally Posted by Thiggins7002 View Post
    My basscat dealer gave me a price on a classic with a 200 at 44k stock. A sabre with a 175 at 42k stock. I want about 5k in total upgrades. So honestly price is basically the same unless I roll with a sabre 150. But I have a 20x20 garage and I think the classic may be just a tiny bit to big
    Yes, if your garage is 20 X 20, I’d definitely go with the FTD. It’s a really nice boat!

10. Member
    The PII compared to the Sabre FTD your getting about 9"more of front deck, and 1"more width at the console.
    The Classic is 1'4" inches longer in the front deck than the Sabre and 4"wider at the console.

I had a Sabre FTD with the 175 Merc and went to a Pantera II. With 2 people the PII is more stable while fishing. Also with 2 anglers on the bow of the Sabre, it would make the nose sink noticeably.
    My buddy who always fishes with me said the PII was a much better rig compared to the Sabre. (Stability wise)

Alone, the Sabre was an excellent rig. I would not have sold it had I not received such a good deal on the PII.
    It handled like it was on rails. Excellent TM response and would easily cruise at 65 mph and top out at 69.2 mph.

Sabre Storage with Swing away: 21 Feet
    Pantera II: 22 feet.
    Classic: 22.7 feet.

Just some info between the 3 boats.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 06-19-2019 at 02:22 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    The PII compared to the Sabre FTD your getting about 9"more of front deck, and 1"more width at the console.
    The Classic is 1'4" inches longer in the front deck than the Sabre and 4"wider at the console.

I had a Sabre FTD with the 175 Merc and went to a Pantera II. With 2 people the PII is more stable while fishing. Also with 2 anglers on the bow of the Sabre, it would make the nose sink noticeably.
    My buddy who always fishes with me said the PII was a much better rig compared to the Sabre. (Stability wise)

Alone, the Sabre was an excellent rig. I would not have sold it had I not received such a good deal on the PII.
    It handled like it was on rails. Excellent TM response and would easily cruise at 65 mph and top out at 69.2 mph.

Sabre Storage with Swing away: 21 Feet
    Pantera II: 22 feet.
    Classic: 22.7 feet.

Just some info between the 3 boats.
    Just thought I would add simple engineering to this response. Larger boats have wider or longer foot print which equals greater displacement, this allows them to carry more weight without really noticing it. Can you fish 3 out of an 18'er...yes you can but the boat will move more under your feet as compared to a larger platform carrying the same load. The extra inches and feet offer better ride characteristics as well.

I have fished out of a Ranger 361V back in the day and found it to be far more stable than my mid 90's Eyra of similar size. The shape of the hull can offer stability characteristics based upon how it displaces water. The deeper vee hulls cut waves at a cost of stability at rest. With everything there is compromise.

The new Sabre FTD has a very good blend of both, you really need to get one on the water to really know.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Just thought I would add simple engineering to this response. Larger boats have wider or longer foot print which equals greater displacement, this allows them to carry more weight without really noticing it. Can you fish 3 out of an 18'er...yes you can but the boat will move more under your feet as compared to a larger platform carrying the same load. The extra inches and feet offer better ride characteristics as well.

I have fished out of a Ranger 361V back in the day and found it to be far more stable than my mid 90's Eyra of similar size. The shape of the hull can offer stability characteristics based upon how it displaces water. The deeper vee hulls cut waves at a cost of stability at rest. With everything there is compromise.

The new Sabre FTD has a very good blend of both, you really need to get one on the water to really know.
    The Sabre is an excellent fishing platform, but the OP mentioned he usually doesn't fish alone. He also mentioned interest in the Classic. I believe he will find the Sabre to be sensitive to a Co-angler, especially if he has some size. If he could make the Classic fit his garage, I believe he would be better satisfied with it. Especially with the 200 V8 Merc on the back.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    If you can make it fit in your garage, always get the bigger boat IMO. I was short on space in the garage and we just don't fish much anymore, so we wanted a smaller rig that would fit in the garage. If we was fishing more, than I'd go back to a 20'ft boat.

14. Member
    Some great info guys! Iv had people say the sabre has more bells and whistles than the classic. Not sure what the big differences are. I need to measure my garage. 20x20 with a 22ft 7 in I dont think itll fit. Maybe I can rearrange the back wall to gain another foot

15. Member
    I’ve never owned a new Classic but if the price was close and I could fit the Classic that’s the route I’d take

Park it diagonally in the garage...tell the wife she can park her car outside in the driveway!!!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

17. Member
    Get the Sabre with 175. It will run 70, and still get it in a good chop. It rides bone dry like all Cats. It has the spray bars in the livewells. Don’t listen to Topwater...he never gets hung up. Let her park next to your Sabre. With the money you save, you can take her to a fancy place every month or a nice vacation once a year. She will let you fish more.

18. Member
    Her car already sits outside for my current boat ��. Shes gotten over it! I was inside a classic and it was long and nice! But other than spray bars in the live wells. What makes the boat levels on a basscat? Sabre being mid tier and classic the low tier! Thanks

19. Member
    If you visit the Cat website you'll see they have three levels of boats, Premium, Advantage, and Vision. The Classic and Margay are Vision. The Sabre FTD is an Advantage. Of course you get more stuff with each step up. EX: My Sabre had a VERY heavy duty trailer under it. That's an option on the Vision boats. I think they come standard with a 3" trailer instead of the 4" trailer. There are various levels of materials used. The Premium lines get a different resins. They may also be available upgrade on the other lines? Your dealer should be able to help you out.

https://www.basscat.com/basscat/faq/Raw+Materials

20. Member
    The only differences I can think of would be the full size seats, livewell system, any color top cap you want vs only white, and the 4” trailer standard. I looked hard at the Classic, and I liked it’s simplicity, big front deck, and that big cooler step to the bow. The only reason I didn’t buy one was because of the 30 gal fuel tank. I need at least 33 gallons to make the milk run on my favorite lake. If they could offer just a 5 gallon saddle tank, I’d be fishing out of one now. As good as my Sabre is in choppy water, another 1.5’ of boat makes is way easier navigating those 3’ rollers. To me, the 3” trailer on the Classic would be fine with leaf springs, but I would get them to build it with 15” wheels. Many more tire options, and a level riding trailer on the highway. You can’t go wrong with either boat, but definitely get the 175 if you choose the Sabre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast