What do you look for in a pitching rod for light t-rigs?

I'm trying to determine exactly what rod to look at for pitching light (3/16 - 1/4 oz tungsten plus the tube or beaver-style bait) t-rigs. For those that do this a lot, how would you prioritize the following:

sensitivity (obviously important, but is it the most important thing you look for?)
    length (I currently use a 7' rod and my previous pitching rod was 6'10"...however, I see a lot of pitching rods that are 7'2" - 7'4")
    power (I normally use a Heavy powered rod, but would I be better off with a M or MH?)
    taper (My current rod is a Mag Bass fast taper and my previous rod was a medium-fast...is there a "correct" taper for pitching light t-rigs?)
    weight
    balance

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Price is not a factor in this scenario, since I am willing to spend more on a bottom contact rod.

Sensitivity and power are probably my top two. I throw a 1/4 oz tungsten with a creature bait almost every time out...been doing that for quite a few years now. My three texas rig rods are a 7' 3" Kistler Magnesium II Heavy-MH X-Fast. So basically a MH+ power and an extra fast tip. Lure rating is 3/8 to 1 oz. They are plenty sensitive for what I need them to be as bite detection is super important with a bottom contact rod. Personally I feel the bigger the hook and bait, the heavier the power it needs to be. I throw my 4" beaver baits on a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG superline hook with 20 pound Red Label fluorocarbon. I have another setup that I use for smallie beavers with a 2/0 EWG and it is also a MH power but with only a 1/4 to 3/4 oz rating.

I'm very happy with the Daiwa Steez AGS 7'1" Medium Heavy for those exact duties. In terms of prioritizing all those factors, for me it comes down to what has the best balance of all of them. This particular model is extremely sensitive, light weight, balances nicely with light weight reels, has excellent backbone for setting the hook with a single hook, and has a great action that loads nicely for presenting the bait.

There are several other fantastic rods out there for this application as well. I really like the St. Croix Legend Elite 7'1" MHXF as well.

4. Member
    I noticed that both replies involve rods that have an extra-fast tip. I've owned two rods before with extra-fast tips and didn't care for either one. Maybe it was just the rods and not the tip, but it's got me scared to get another extra-fast rod. What do I gain by going extra-fast versus a fast tip? Is that personal preference or is it more necessary in a good pitching rod? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've gone on this mini-rant more than once....I think your experience has a lot to do with how rod companies and fishermen can't agree on what "extra fast" means in a fishing rod. What *most* fishermen mean when they say they want an extra fast tip is that they want a rod with some give in the tip. A lot of rod companies give you exactly this when you buy a rod that's rated as extra fast. However, others take "extra fast" to mean a broomstick. If you look at the standard rod action illustrative figures, extra fast really does equate to a broomstick where the rod reaches the backbone...well...extra fast.

For example:

So you end up with a rod action that one company might call extra fast while another company might call it moderate fast. The thing that makes it even tougher is that both companies would probably have the same definition for a fast action rod. This is why either getting good advice from folks who've used a given rod like you get here, or otherwise being able to handle and hopefully even test cast it is really valuable.

In getting away from all that nonsense, I agree wholeheartedly with Bronzefly in that a rod that is lightweight and balances well is extremely important for this technique, with balance being the most important. His suggestions are absolutely spot on. Another one to check out and that I'm always recommending to people is something from the Phenix Feather line. These rods are extremely lightweight and sensitive at their price point, and their "extra fast" rating means a tip with some give like it sounds like I'm guessing you'd rather have. I personally throw the 7'1" MH for light Texas rigs, keeping in mind that Phenix over-rates their rods compared to other companies. So this one will fish more like other companies' medium power than a medium heavy. I fish Texas rigs up to 3/8 with it and it's perfect for that. I also use it for smallish swimbaits and dock skipping. The 3/4 oz rating on it, while the rod *could* handle it, would be too much.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I agree DrewFlu - there is no set definition on action. The variation I've seen between "fast" "extra fast" etc. action ratings from different manufacturers is astounding, not to mention medium vs medium heavy vs heavy power ratings!

I meant that the best balance of all those factors - sensitivity, length, action, power, and weight - is my focus. The two rods I mentioned are both listed as extra fast, medium heavy, but both are really great at this specific type of fishing for sure. The Megabass US Destroyer Daemos is another really nice rod for this application, is listed as a Medium Heavy, Fast, but has what I'd consider to be a "slow fast" action to confuse things further

7. Member
    I agree completely! Both extra-fast rods I had did not have much bend in the tip. I like a rod to have some flex during the hookset, not like a broomstick. I've had a hard time adjusting to my current pitching rod, which is an older GLX 844C MBR. It's a fast action, but seems to have more flex than the Falcon Cara T7 Head Turner I used for 6-8 years before that. And the Falcon rod was a medium-fast tip, which is why I get confused sometimes. What I find with the GLX I have now is that the extra flex tends to fling the bait upwards more than what the Falcon rod did. I'm getting better with it, but at this point I'm inconsistent with my pitches and I know I've missed out on some fish because of that. I'm also using a Steez SV 103H with cork knobs, which weighs 5.5 oz. It makes for a lightweight combo, but I wonder if the reel being really light makes the rod feel more tip-heavy and unbalanced. Again, thanks for the recommendations and help.

8. Member
    If price isn't a factor, steez ags 7'1 MH

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    If price isn't a factor, steez ags 7'1 MH
    I agree 100% This rod really is something impressive when you fish it, as are many of these Steez AGS rods. Like I've written before, I was never a huge Daiwa Steez rod fan until the AGS line came on the scene. They really stepped up their game and are on that world class performance platform now. I've been spending a lot more time with their current offerings and talking with them about some exciting new things on the horizon too...

10. Banned
    6’10”-7’ mh or hvy depending on the brand. I don’t need extra sensitivity but it needs to be as sensitive as my other bottom presentation rods.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I agree 100% This rod really is something impressive when you fish it, as are many of these Steez AGS rods. Like I've written before, I was never a huge Daiwa Steez rod fan until the AGS line came on the scene. They really stepped up their game and are on that world class performance platform now. I've been spending a lot more time with their current offerings and talking with them about some exciting new things on the horizon too...
    Cannot wait to see whats coming! I never even considered the steez ags until i bought my first tat elite ags and was blown away by the difference the ags guides made. Then once i fished the steez ags my jaw hit the floor. Expensive, but i truly believe you get what you pay for with the new steez.

12. Member
    https://alxrods.com/products/zolo-de...y-fast-casting do your self and favor and get this rod.

13. Member
    I'll be honest and say I never even thought about or considered Daiwa when thinking about rods. It was mostly G Loomis, Megabass, Dobyns, Shimano Expride, and ALX (due to all the positive things I hear about their rods on this board). Guess I'll have to add the Steez onto my list. Thanks again for the recommendations!

14. Banned
    Lots of subjectivity when it comes to rods. Like said, powers can be different from various companies, but action doesnt lie. I personally use a 7'3 XH Hammer Tackle Trap edition rod. Its states XH, but fishes more like a H to me. Tip action is nice as well. I pitch 1/4 or 3/8 weights plus a creature with it and 20lb Stren Magnathin mono. I actually just ordered myself a Bantam MGL XG to put on it. I did do one modification to the rod though, I cut off 3 inches on the butt end. Otherwise, its the same dimensions as my 7ft Dobyns rods. So the 3 inches was all in the butt section, and it kept hitting me in the stomach (and no, I dont have a pot belly. LOL). I think the rod has great sensitivity, and the faster tip helps with the reaction and hookset with the mono.

15. Member
    I appreciate all the help. I've decided to go with the Daiwa Steez AGS 7'1" MH that was recommended. The Tackle Trap is giving me a great deal on it.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s a great choice, I’d like to get that rod as well! I use a BPS Platinum 7’1” MH/F but I would definitely find a use for the rod you got. It can do a lot of things very well. I think it would make a really nice 3/8ths oz swim jig rod.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Just got the Steez rod today...can't wait to fish with it! If it fishes half as good as it looks, it will be an awesome rod!