Lake St Clair Canadian Waters

I know this has been discussed before, and I have done multiple searches. There is NO definitive answers out there that tell you what you must have or do to fish the Canadian waters. I know you must have a valid Canadian fishing license and sport card but as far as citizenship, some say Passport only, some say Driver License. The reason for my question is simple, My son is turning 18 on Saturday and we are coming up to fish Lake St. Clair for his birthday. I have a Passport and he doesn't. I am wondering what the heck he needs to be able to fish legally in Canada. He has a valid drivers license (IT IS NOT THE ENHANCED) and birth certificate. Is the Ohio Drivers License and the Birth Certificate enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    You are good with Driver License and BC
    2005 Ranger Z20
    Lake St. Clair addiction...

3. Member
    If you don't touch LAND or anchor you just need a fishing license. Some form of i.d. would be nice to have on you. FYI. There is a BFL tourney going out of Harley Ensign ramp this Sat 22nd.

4. Member
    And payback bass out of Harley on Sunday 100 boats!

Last time the Canadians pulled me over, there was a Police Officer, DNR Officer, and a Customs Officer on border. The Police Office was the other twos chauffeur and wanted to see nothing. The DNR guy wanted to see my Canadian fishing license and Picture ID. The customs guy wanted to know if I had called in to report entering Canada, which was required at that time but not any longer. If the US Coast Guard stops you, he'll want to make sure you have the proper safety equipment on border and Identification like State ID and Birth Certificate. The US Border Patrol will want State ID and Birth Certificate or equivalent. He will also check for any terrorists on board. The Canadians may also check for there required safety equipment.
    Last edited by LennyB; 06-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.

6. Member
    Similar situation with my son when he turned 18. No longer a requirement to call in. Technically if crossing into Canada and fishing (without ever landing or touching ground) you just need the Outdoor card and license. The problem is coming back to the US which would require a passport (he has one) if stopped by CBP. That's a US issue.

Realistically you'd have to have CBP agent to be in a really bad mood or a REALLY bad, cold coffee to bust your chops on the passport/ID . In eight plus years we've seen them (Canadian MDNR) ONCE and we do a majority of our summer fishing on the south shore. If you are stopped by the MDNR or a CO on the US side they only seem concerned about the fishing license. Plenty of times the CG or Sheriff has pulled up just to chat and the citizenship has never come up. Their training comes into play, they know by actions or inactions what to expect.