Rear transducer cable routing - process?

Mounting my first transom transducer on this boat (it came from the factory with a thru-hull flasher setup) - so I need a little guidance on routing the cable.

Is it still the norm to drill out a 1" hole and then seal it up with 5200?

Would anyone recommend cutting a groove for the cable in a hardwood dowel to tap into the hole and only have to 5200 up the last 1/4" or so on each side of the transom?

Would it be completely ghetto to just route the cable over into the splashwell and in with my control cables and wiring? (That would start to bother me after a while.)

2. Member
    I'm not drilling into my transom to route a transducer cable.

3. Member
    I routed mine recently within the sidewalls, along the same cable run as the motor cables, and then over the top of the transom and down the back side. The transducer itself is mounted to a transom plate that epoxied on to the transom itself leaving no need for holes of any kind. I already had screws/wire clips in place from the previous transducer and reused those to secure the wire run down the back.

Very clean look.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You dont say what boat this is going on........If you could route it over the transom like you mention, that would keep from having to drill a hole leaks and worrying about it.....

Also i believe that the 5200 is a "permanent" sealant.....if you decide to change ducers, add something else, etc. it will be pretty tough to remove. I did a hole in mine for transducer cable and used regular silicone (above/below waterline type)....removed and replace transdcuer a few times already so it could happen....easy to remove the silicone i used. Just food for thought.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Sorry, going on a '98 Stratos 273. The more I've thought about it this morning, the more I think I'm going to skip drilling. I've got a sternsaver block ready to go, and a prev owner had installed a small xducer over the splash well, so there is a guide or 2 already screwed in. Going to seal those up and reuse.