250 Pro XS 4S water pressure - 920XP

Hi,

I have a new Phoenix. I am running a 250 Pro XS 4S. Currently in 2 hour break in (motor tucked). Water pressure gauge is reading 0 at idle and 9-10 at WOT. No alarms and engine temp readings are stable at 135 to 140 degrees. I do not think it is running hot. I have the Mercury System Monitor (Maybe I should have got the MercMonitor). My system monitor does not read water pressure, oil pressure or oil temp. Aren't these water pressure readings too low? Do I need to add another water pressure gauge? Should my system monitor show water pressure?
    Thanks for you help in advance.

Scott

Update: I now know that I can add a sending unit that will give the system monitor water pressure.
    Last edited by knopf; 06-18-2019 at 11:00 AM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knopf View Post
    Hi,

I have a new Phoenix. I am running a 250 Pro XS 4S. Currently in 2 hour break in (motor tucked). Water pressure gauge is reading 0 at idle and 9-10 at WOT. No alarms and engine temp readings are stable at 135 to 140 degrees. I do not think it is running hot. I have the Mercury System Monitor (Maybe I should have got the MercMonitor). My system monitor does not read water pressure, oil pressure or oil temp. Aren't these water pressure readings too low? Do I need to add another water pressure gauge? Should my system monitor show water pressure?
    Thanks for you help in advance.

Scott
    While that does seem kind of low, I remember when I was breaking in my motor my water pressure seemed low also. Once I was able to trim up I actually got way more water pressure. I haven't seen it drop below 20 while running with it trimmed up
    2019 721 ProXP 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Customsilverado View Post
    While that does seem kind of low, I remember when I was breaking in my motor my water pressure seemed low also. Once I was able to trim up I actually got way more water pressure. I haven't seen it drop below 20 while running with it trimmed up
    interesting. I would think trim would reduce water pressures. That was my fear at least. I will watch it when I start trimming motor. Thanks.

4. Member
    I'm wondering if there is a kink in the hose from the motor to the WP gauge. You could try taking the gauge out and blowing some air in it to verify it's not the gauge itself. The grey tubing isn't the most rigid either. I'd take the cowling off and trace it from the motor to where it goes into the hull and make sure it's not pinched or kinked anywhere.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a kink in the hose from the motor to the WP gauge. You could try taking the gauge out and blowing some air in it to verify it's not the gauge itself. The grey tubing isn't the most rigid either. I'd take the cowling off and trace it from the motor to where it goes into the hull and make sure it's not pinched or kinked anywhere.
    will do! thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knopf View Post
    interesting. I would think trim would reduce water pressures. That was my fear at least. I will watch it when I start trimming motor. Thanks.
    Are you still doing the 2hr break in?
    I did my 2hr break-in in one trip and then right after I started playing with jackplate and trim to see what she could do and I got a lot more water pressure.
    2019 721 ProXP 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

7. Member
    just finished break in. Next trip will be WOT with trim.

8. Member
    The Phoenix wp gauges aren't that great. Mine on my sho would peg out maxed over 3500 rpm. I went with the Yamaha sending unit and I'd recommend doing the same for your merc