Thread: Selling Rifles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selling Rifles

So - over the last few years I may have bought one or two rifles that I don't need.

Here's the issue, I don't need them, don't use them, but can't bring myself to selling them.

Also - they are a pain in the ass to sell. What Web sites do you all list things for sale on?

Anyone else have this issue?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

2. Banned
    I've sold a bunch on gunbroker. Sells. They send the MO. Their FFL send me a copy of their license and I ship it to the FFL. Pretty easy. Getting the copy of the FFL seems to be the hardest part, as they seem to think it's top secret info for some reason.

3. Member
    Armslist for local face-to-face sale. I recommend meeting in a very public place, preferably a police department parking lot. You'll probably have to deal with some low ballers. Prime time to list them is right before hunting season arrives.

Gunbroker is probably the best known on line auction site. No low ballers, just bids but you will probably have to ship to the buyers FFL. You can legally ship a rifle or shotgun (but not handguns) through the postal service to a federally licensed dealer in another state. Another option is to have a licensed dealer ship it for you.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    Armslist for local face-to-face sale. I recommend meeting in a very public place, preferably a police department parking lot. You'll probably have to deal with some low ballers. Prime time to list them is right before hunting season arrives.

Gunbroker is probably the best known on line auction site. No low ballers, just bids but you will probably have to ship to the buyers FFL. You can legally ship a rifle or shotgun (but not handguns) through the postal service to a federally licensed dealer in another state. Another option is to have a licensed dealer ship it for you.

So that's a quandary since it is illegal to have a firearm on federal property.............I guess i'd go into the PO and speak to them first.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Member
    Local police station is not federal property. Just do the sale in a walmart parking lot like everyone else. This is the USA. Selling a gun is not illegal. Meet up in a public place. Let them inspect your gun. Count their cash. Shake hands and drive off.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    So that's a quandary since it is illegal to have a firearm on federal property.............I guess i'd go into the PO and speak to them first.
    Long guns ship USPS all the time. Our local post office is a leased property, so it’s not actually federal property.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Check the PO regs on shipping firearms. They specifically allow a non FFL to ship rifles and shotguns to be shipped but prohibit handguns. An FFL dealer can ship handguns through the USPS.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...l/updt_001.htm
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    Find a local hunting and fishing forum where guns are allowed to be sold in the classifieds. FTF transaction with typically good guys that share the same interests.

9. Member
    Long guns shipped via USPS have to be in a non content marking box. In other words the outer box can't say Remington 870 on it. So put the factory box inside another plain unmarked outer box. (Boxes are easily obtained at any Wal mart gun dept.)

A face to face sale is always easier, or...……………………..Cablelas will buy your gun, they pay a flat rate 60% of the guns value, as they are a reseller, so they leave room to make profit on the resale. Thats probably the most hassle free way to get rid of a gun, IF you can live with the reduced rate they will give you.

Maybe not a popular perspecitive, but for a FTF transfer I would be doing at at a gun shop because if I was selling to a someone I didn’t know I’d require they pass the same check required to buy from a dealer. I don’t know you, I don’t know if you’re a felon, I don’t know anything. I’m not chancing that. Now, if I know you already different story.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Maybe not a popular perspecitive, but for a FTF transfer I would be doing at at a gun shop because if I was selling to a someone I didn’t know I’d require they pass the same check required to buy from a dealer. I don’t know you, I don’t know if you’re a felon, I don’t know anything. I’m not chancing that. Now, if I know you already different story.
    You are not obligated to obtain proof that they are not a felon but if you do know it is unlawful to sleep them the gun. As long as you have no knowledge of anything that would disqualify them you are right with the law.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I prefer FTF buying/selling. You can choose who you’re selling to and if you’re not comfortable, just don’t go through with the sale. If they are a felon, on probation, etc, then they are breaking the law and will get caught sooner or later. We have the right to buy and sell firearms to each other.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    You are not obligated to obtain proof that they are not a felon but if you do know it is unlawful to sleep them the gun. As long as you have no knowledge of anything that would disqualify them you are right with the law.
    Not really about any legal obligation as much as my own moral obligation to not sell someone a gun who can’t do so legally.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Am I the only one wondering what kind of rifles he’s selling?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I prefer FTF buying/selling. You can choose who you’re selling to and if you’re not comfortable, just don’t go through with the sale. If they are a felon, on probation, etc, then they are breaking the law and will get caught sooner or later. We have the right to buy and sell firearms to each other.
    And this right here is how people who are felons get guns. I run mine through my local trusted shop that always runs back ground checks on buyers and pay them a small fee. I’d rather do that and keep my mind clear than to risk selling it to someone who may or may not be allowed to own a firearm.

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    FTF intra-state. Interstate transactions must be done through FFL.

And I think the US attorney will argue that any property leased by the Federal government is considered Federal property.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    FTF you can also only sell to someone that has a hand gun permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    That would only apply to handguns in states like NC that require a handgun permit. There is no such restriction for long guns.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    That is not required in a free state.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post

And I think the US attorney will argue that any property leased by the Federal government is considered Federal property.
    Has absolutely zero to do with the ability to ship long guns USPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast