A general question about the Upper Chesapeake bay

I have a question about the upper Chesapeake bay.
    When the fish are done Post spawn and move towards their summer haunts...how far out from lets say a Point will they move? I'm thinking when the tide is Low and then when the tide is high how far out off the bank will they move. Are they always following the bait fish or do they wait for the bait fish to move back in with the tide.

I am also wondering about the fish that are on the actual FLATS. Do they stay out there or do they only move out there when there is bait fish out there. I don't get to fish it often enough to have that figured out but thought I would ask here for a general answer nothing spot specific.

Thanks in Advance

I personally feel that the bass on the flats stay out there all summer into late fall as long as there is healthy grass. Finding them is the problem. The flats take up 11,000 acres and the fish are not everywhere.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I personally feel that the bass on the flats stay out there all summer into late fall as long as there is healthy grass. Finding them is the problem. The flats take up 11,000 acres and the fish are not everywhere.
    I thought they might be resident fish on the Flats but like your saying FINDING them seems pretty hit or miss. I have fished out on the FLATS a few times but have only caught a few once. when the grass is up it almost seems TOO perfect out there.

4. Member
    I am certainly no expert. I was on the flats one morning last summer and caught 2 fish over a couple of hours.

I needed a break and went to a few other spots until about 1:00. As the tide changed I went back to the same area on the flats and had a banner afternoon. I don’t know for sure if it was the tide but that is my suspicion.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax