Troll control on 150 four stroke

2017 Merc 150 four stroke
    2B450621

Can troll control cause fault codes relating to a malfunctioning ignition coil? Seems to clear itself after shutting down and restarting engine. Have Mercmonitor level 1. Able to slow rpms to about 600 - 610 before getting alarm and fault code.

2. Member
    Any thoughts?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not likely. Precisely what fault are you getting (exact verbiage)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Here's a screen shot from Vessel View mobile, which is running alongside the mercmonitor. Got the fault on both systems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    I have to replicate the problem to get another message I saw specifically mentioning the coil pack malfunction. I can't recall where I saw that one. Maybe the message came up on my ti2? I'm not sure but I know I could repeat the problem if I want so as to get better details on that error message. I'm not sure I like the idea of purposely provoking a fault.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The smart move would be to get the engine on the Computer Diagnostic System for PRINTOUTS of the Run History, Fault Seconds Counters, and Freeze Frame (Fault) History.

Information in those reports can be used to determine the fault, assist with locating the CAUSE, and in many cases, the engine doesn't even have to be started.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor