Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I agree with the OP to a large extent. The guys always saying it's because of the electronics crack me up...even 40-50k boats still come rigged with crappy 5-7" fish finders standard. The expensive, large units are almost never standard on all but the top models. You mostly get cheap units and then have to replace them on your brand new boat to get the good stuff. Not a valid reason at all for the cost...
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

2. Banned
    they're not expensive if ya shop like I do!

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    I agree with the OP to a large extent. The guys always saying it's because of the electronics crack me up...even 40-50k boats still come rigged with crappy 5-7" fish finders standard. The expensive, large units are almost never standard on all but the top models. You mostly get cheap units and then have to replace them on your brand new boat to get the good stuff. Not a valid reason at all for the cost...
    Boat companies are "for profit" just like the places we go to work everyday. Many of them work on thin margins so its not like every boat they hit a home run, it requires a bunch of quantity to make money.

4. Member
    I think its because WalMart doesn't sell boats.

When the latest and greatest glass rig
    w/a 200 hit 20K, I thought this is insane they
    cant go any higher. I would have never made a good
    fortune teller. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Banned
    too many hands in the pot.

Look how many compaines are in volved in one boat.

Boat its self: Gas tank components, Wiring/switches, every piece of plastic is outsourced and requires molds, upholestry, livwell/bilge pumps/hoses, hardware like cleats/locks, carpet, seat posts,steering, Everytime somebody touches it, the price goes up.

Trailer: farmed out by many manufacturers. On each trailer, how many parts are farmed out? tires? brake components, carpet, lights, wiring, rims. Everytime somebody touches it, there is mark up.
    Electronics
    Trolling motors

Not to mention overhead for each component...like insurance. I bet you'd about puke knowing what each company pays in insurance. EVERY component made has a policy attatched to it.

they are all overpriced. I don't agree with the pricing which is why I shop for a good used rig and buy used components to install myself.

And yes, if ya'll would stop paying 70k for a rig, they'd come down in price. In fact, when the next recession hits in a year or 2, you will witness price dumping.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbuster95 View Post
    too many hands in the pot.

Look how many compaines are in volved in one boat.

Boat its self: Gas tank components, Wiring/switches, every piece of plastic is outsourced and requires molds, upholestry, livwell/bilge pumps/hoses, hardware like cleats/locks, carpet, seat posts,steering, Everytime somebody touches it, the price goes up.

Trailer: farmed out by many manufacturers. On each trailer, how many parts are farmed out? tires? brake components, carpet, lights, wiring, rims. Everytime somebody touches it, there is mark up.
    Electronics
    Trolling motors

Not to mention overhead for each component...like insurance. I bet you'd about puke knowing what each company pays in insurance. EVERY component made has a policy attatched to it.

they are all overpriced. I don't agree with the pricing which is why I shop for a good used rig and buy used components to install myself.

And yes, if ya'll would stop paying 70k for a rig, they'd come down in price. In fact, when the next recession hits in a year or 2, you will witness price dumping.
    Companies outsource products because at the relatively low volume of bass boats its CHEAPER to have someone else build these components.

Fresh out of high school back in ‘90 gas was about $1.75 a gallon. Everything has inflated in price. Housing is no different. Buying a house at the bottom of the market 2011 was the best investment I ever made.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 07-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

8. Member
    Most have it wrong. Bass Boat prices reflect components. Price a 18 Ft of your brand choice. Only price Boat, Motor, Trailer. Its the cool factor that cost you.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Every one that buys a new car, truck or boat is an idiot? That’s a pretty bold statement. It’s also BS.

As to the OP’s question, outboards are still internal combustion engines like there were 100 years ago. Granted much more advanced but they are able to leverage technology developed for other industries to some degree. I’d say hulls may have changed more over time. Did you have 21’ boats going 80mph in the 90s. I really don’t know but I doubt it. And like other have said, it labor intensive and there is just not a large market so they have to charge more per unit just to stay in business.
    So you think spending 40k+ on something you drive back and forth from point A to point B is not stupid. Not a bold statement at all. In my opinion just plain common sense. But then again just my opinion. If we stop paying these stupid prices, they will come down.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    I never understand the logic behind these kind of statements. We as consumers have to pay if we want these items, prices are not just determined by what consumers will pay. I don't know anyone the wants to pay 70k for a boat, but if we want certain products then people will pay. I love when people say well just stop paying for them and the prices will drop. I am not an idiot nor are any others whom pay for something they want, I would rather have lower prices but there a lot of factors in play that determine prices, not just what an idiot will pay.I have no regrets, I made a conscious decision based on my situation and love my boat.
    That pretty much sums up my point. Of course that's just my opinion.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

11. Member
    I bought a brand new Merc 150 4s last year for $10k

12. Member
    Boats are luxury items unless you are using them in your profession. Bass boats are low volume things that are much more hand built than a car or motorcycle. Also, despite what some have said, the market determines the price. The market isn't what people wish they could pay, it's what they're willing to pay. Clearly if no one bought $80K bass rigs, they wouldn't exist. Manufacturers don't build things to sit in showrooms with price tags on them that no one will buy. It's not that they would sell that same rig for a whole lot less money, the would just make them cheaper. It's also bad business for them to sell a boat cheaper than what the market is wiling to pay. That's throwing money away. I bought my previous boat in 1987. Stratos 179 dual console with a GT150 and no extras. Just a flasher in the dash. I paid $13,500 as a special boat show discounted price. The on line inflation calculator puts that at $30,400 in 2019 dollars. I don't know if anyone is making a 17 1/2 glass boat rated for a 150 but shopping around should get you a 18' boat with a 150 on it and no options for around that price. B.A.S.S. had a 150hp limit back then so these big rigs with 250-300's on them were very rare. Now there is no limit and every guy that fancies himself a hotshot fisherman wants to have one. 15 to 20 year financing means that even folks of relatively modest means can have one if they want to make the payments. I have a friend from back then that has been upside down in a boat for 30 years. When the warranty expires he just rolls the debt into the next boat and as long as he makes the payments the bank is happy to do it. I'm retired so making payments on a boat is silly. So is pulling 60 large out of my savings for a boat. My Vt-17 will do me just fine unless the stock market does something miraculous and even then I don't think I would do anything more than a slightly large tin boat with more storage.

The nice thing now is that quality, roomy aluminum bass boats are common. Back in the late 80's the Tracker bass boats were just little jon boats with a console and a Merc 25. Today's affordable aluminum boats are worlds better.
    Last edited by rwortman; 07-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    2011 Crestliner VT-17 75 Optimax

13. Member
    Basscat makes a 17 rated for a 150, the Margay. Indeed you are looking at 30'sh for one today. The difference would be its a better built boat than anything put out in the 80's.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...dard%20listing

Simple, Boats are %100 luxury. No one needs a boat (Minus commercial fishermen), we all just want one... then want a bigger one, faster, shiner, bigger graphs, more graphs. List is endless. As long as we want it, they will make it and someone will buy it.

15. Member
    We only get one shot on this golf-ball in space, ain't none of us taking what we acquire in life with us. The best thing we can do is enjoy the life we were given, if you want it and can afford it, then get it. When my day comes I want to know I did not short change myself over a few dead presidents.

16. Member
    Companies like white river marine group have a few thousand employees. Ranger has 1000 people on its own campus. So thats 8000 man hours a day and if you figure the cost to the company from top to bottom averages 20 bucks an hour it's not hard to see the shear amount of overhead these companies "not just Ranger" have to recoupe. And we haven't event touched the raw materials costs or all of the outer outflows of money. OEM's aren't making the huge margins and huge profits that everyone believes they do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12