Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is a boat so expensive?

Engines have slightly went up over the years. I can still remember a friend paying $8400 back in 1992 for a 135 mariner. So why is a boat , minus the engine, so dang much? If a 250 costs 20 grand how on earth does a engineless “craft” cost 40 or sometimes 50,000?
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Engines have slightly went up over the years. I can still remember a friend paying $8400 back in 1992 for a 135 mariner. So why is a boat , minus the engine, so dang much? If a 250 costs 20 grand how on earth does a engineless “craft” cost 40 or sometimes 50,000?
    Electronics, rigging, trailer, accessories.

3. Member
    That 8400 motor is 15,332 based on inflation. The boats in 92 had very basic electronics, an anchor had a rope attached. Minimum wage had a big jump from 3.80 to a whopping 4.25 in 1991. Hopefully, at a minimum, your pay has also doubled.

Then you have supply and demand. If there was that much money in bass boats I have to think there would be more than a handful of companies producing them.

4. Member
    I was thinking about you this weekend when I seen a V176/90 carb'd for sale on Craigslist ........ I was wondering if things got worked out for you.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

5. Member
    Boats are expensive for the same reason as divorces, because it's worth it.

6. Member
    Because they can be...like anything else people pay for..gas you name it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I was thinking about you this weekend when I seen a V176/90 carb'd for sale on Craigslist ........ I was wondering if things got worked out for you.
    LOL Yeah been wanting to get a larger boat lately. Gonna have to put some $$ in this one first it appears.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    That 8400 motor is 15,332 based on inflation. The boats in 92 had very basic electronics, an anchor had a rope attached. Minimum wage had a big jump from 3.80 to a whopping 4.25 in 1991. Hopefully, at a minimum, your pay has also doubled.

Then you have supply and demand. If there was that much money in bass boats I have to think there would be more than a handful of companies producing them.
    Good points. But you could probably find a new 150 for 11 or 12 thousand. And we’re over a quarter century past 1992.
    I was in BPS the other week. Two Z19’s side by side. Both with tandem axle trailers. One was $10,000 more than the other! And power poles were not even on it. Then they put the low payment on the sheet (for 180 months). I remember thinking if someone paid for those upgrades over 180 months they could’ve bought 5 trolling motors and graphs. It’s all about what someone is willing to pay though isn’t it.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

labor rates, the epa requiring different resins, the dollars value, back in 92 a soda pop cost half as much...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

strange - when I was boat shopping I was thinking the hulls were cheaper than I expected they would be.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    LOL Yeah been wanting to get a larger boat lately.
    If you're still putting in mostly at that ramp you took me to that day down on the big end of Clarks Hill ........ I imagine so!!! That water gets like a washing machine at times.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Very labor intensive to build. The boating industry has not developed designs that facilitate automated robotic assembly lines.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Boats are expensive for the same reason as divorces, because it's worth it.
    Thats funny!!

14. Banned
    Folks are willing to borrow insane amounts of money for years on a toy.

15. Member
    Boats are still cheaper than shrinks and drugs. Maybe boat prices are tied to those costs. Besides, the only way to look at boat ownership for those of us who do not make a living using them is - The first time you use it, you get your money's worth. After that it is all profit.

Supply and Demand.

17. Member
    Simple. Because just like new cars and trucks, and idiot is born everyday willing to pay the ridiculous prices they are asking. I was that idiot once in my life even though my dad always taught me better. But never again.
    2009 Tracker PT190
    80lb Xi5
    Dual Power Poles
    6inch Plate
    HDS
    Stainless ComancheSteering wheel
    Stainless pop-up tiedowns
    Comanche Passenger rodholder
    Boat Buckle Rod Straps
    JBL Stereo with JBL10" Marine Sub.
    150 ProXS, 25 Trophy Plus, 72mph GPS (light), 24 Fury @68mph (heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by turbocoupe View Post
    Simple. Because just like new cars and trucks, and idiot is born everyday willing to pay the ridiculous prices they are asking. I was that idiot once in my life even though my dad always taught me better. But never again.
    Every one that buys a new car, truck or boat is an idiot? That’s a pretty bold statement. It’s also BS.

As to the OP’s question, outboards are still internal combustion engines like there were 100 years ago. Granted much more advanced but they are able to leverage technology developed for other industries to some degree. I’d say hulls may have changed more over time. Did you have 21’ boats going 80mph in the 90s. I really don’t know but I doubt it. And like other have said, it labor intensive and there is just not a large market so they have to charge more per unit just to stay in business.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    It’s just odd the engine is only about 30% of the total cost. If not less.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbocoupe View Post
    I never understand the logic behind these kind of statements. We as consumers have to pay if we want these items, prices are not just determined by what consumers will pay. I don't know anyone the wants to pay 70k for a boat, but if we want certain products then people will pay. I love when people say well just stop paying for them and the prices will drop. I am not an idiot nor are any others whom pay for something they want, I would rather have lower prices but there a lot of factors in play that determine prices, not just what an idiot will pay.I have no regrets, I made a conscious decision based on my situation and love my boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast