Garmin Quickdraw

Just got a couple 106sv ultras and would like to start using quickdraw. If I use this feature in an area that is already mapped w/lakevu g3 will it update my existing map and show up automatically when I open my fishing map or will I have to open quickdraw to see it?

Thanks!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quickdraw will NOT update the internal mapping. It will just overlay your QD contours.....QD contours can be selected to be turned on and off as you want, so if you leave them on they will show up on the unit when you are in an area that you have mapped. If you dont want to see them, simply turn them off.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I also have not used QD yet but plan to do so the next time out. My lake is mapped in detail but it’s not very accurate in places. The QD being overlain on top of the LakeVu contours makes little sense to me, it will be a mess. Can you turn off the LakeVu contours and only view the QD contours?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    When it's overlaid, you will not be able to see the original contours. As for turning them off, not sure. But if don't think so.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Here are some examples of QuickDraw contours turned ON and OFF in areas where there is existing mapping.

I agree that it is a mess and can be dangerous if you are operating close to shore or in shallow areas with hazards. Actually, I think Quick Draw is less than useless anywhere even if there is no existing mapping because it over draws parts of the shoreline and hides or distorts details where there is over lap on adjacent passes.

There is also the issue of setting the depth offsets correctly to compensate for different water levels in a lake at different times. Many lakes change depth a lot over the course of a few days or weeks, and the depth contours are usually listed as 'full pool' - but not always. Unless you get it perfect the first time, your recorded depths will never match the charts even if the charts are perfect. I never turn it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

6. Member
    I used it this morning on a couple deep water walleye spots that did not show up on my g3 maps or previous hummingbird with lake master. I'm very happy with it, however this was in 20-30' and the above post might be right about using caution around shallow areas. I ran 4-6 mph over the area's I wanted mapped and probably made a pass every 30-40 or so feet across the spots and came up with a very accurate, detailed map. Always funny how you think those spots look in your head until you map them. The overlayed quickdraw doesn't look bad on your g3 map at all, I would definitely give it a try.

7. Member
    Larry: Thanks for the pics, that does look like a mess!

Makes you wonder if it’s the QD or the base maps that are inaccurate. Probably a somewhat different answer for each lake.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)