DAIWA 103HSDF tune up

SO this weekend I fell back in love with this reel. I paired it on a Tatula 76hf casting rod, I was throwing frogs. The only thing I wish was improved was depth of spool. I actually can cast to the spool with 40lb power pro. It is just an incredible casting reel. So with my reborn appreciation for it, I want to modify it a bit.

Primarily I want to replace the small stock handle with a longer handle. THE current one is just too small and feels like i am winding a 4:1 ration reel. I also feel like the reel has a lot of power but it is minimized by the small handle.

Any advise on Modifications I can make to this reel? Keeping within an acceptable budget that is.

2. Member
    To keep the reel in a mostly stock configuration, a TDZ 100M handle fits nicely without changing the drag star. If you wanted to go a little further, you could go to a sweet drag star and handle, but the spool tension knob will need to be changed as well.

3. Member
    TDX HSDF! One of my favorite reels! If you want more line capacity, you could swap the 103HSDF spool to a 100HSD spool. There's a write up on TackleTour. Or any of the TDZ 103/105 spools are interchangeable, you just have to swap out the spool bearing of the TDZ spool to a 5x9x3.

4. Banned
    best workhorse Daiwa there is. They need to get back to "simple"

If you want another one I have one for sale that I just cleaned up...$60 shipped