Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone went back to school

I barely graduated high school in 89 and went to trade school, everything i have learned has been on the job training. So im wondering if i wanted a degree where would i begin? would i have to take my prerequisite courses?? or at my age is it even worth it. I have not been in touch with HR yet just really curious of some of the BBC gang has done.

You would probably need some remedial English courses.

3. Member
    You would take a placement exam, depending on how well you did would decided which classes you need to take.

I went back for my Associates.

Had to take all the courses. English, math, as well as BS filler classes required by the college.

My degree has paid off, so that’s a plus.

The negatives were the homework load of the non tech classes, was at 5 times what I actually went to get the degree in.
    The other issue, was I went full time, days, at a community college. I was dealing with idiotic 18-20 year olds, who were in class because mom and dad told them school, or a job.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

5. Member
    I'm 44 and am currently attending Business Admin classes for an Associates Degree. I have no idea if it will make a big difference in my life, but nobody can ever take it away from you once you've earned it.

Some schools will give college credit for things like work experience and/or trade school. That might be worth checking into with your local colleges and universities!

I personally am just finishing up my second round of college. I got bachelor's and master's degrees first time through then worked for several as a CPA before realizing I wasn't cut out for all those hours on salary and went back for a PhD. It certainly doesn't hurt that I received waived tuition and got paid to get this last degree (even though it was a substantial pay cut from where I was and I lost those years of earnings and pay raises in between), but I'll be starting my new job as an accounting professor in the fall and couldn't be happier with my decision. If you're unhappy now, have the "want-to" to see it through, AND are confident that doing so will put you in a better spot, go for it!

On that last point: As someone who now has it in my best interest if everyone goes to school, I am completely comfortable with saying that way too many people go to college just to get a degree. I am sure you'd think it through and consider what the end game is before going back, but it's still worth mentioning that just getting a degree doesn't mean a whole lot, especially since you already have a field where you've got experience. If it improves your prospects or allows you to go in a different direction that will make you happier, it's totally worth it. At the same time, and at the risk of going off on a tangent, I don't think we'd have quite the student loan crisis we have right now if more people considered that their bachelor's degree in communications or theater or history might not give them the best job prospects once they graduate, at least not without a lot more schooling on top of it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    I'm 45 and I'm 4 classes away from my associates degree. I am hoping like hell that it will serve me well once I retire from the Army in 2 years. As was said above though, once you earn it no one can take it away from you. I will be the first in my immediate family to earn a degree so for me the hassle has been worth it. I also plan to pursue my bachelors degree once I am complete. Not sure what field of study you are planning on or if you are wanting to go to a brick and mortar school or do online study. If you do online look for schools that offer life paced learning, this allows you take the class at your schedule not theirs. The only thing you really have to abide by is the deadline of the class ending. It has made taking classes much easier for me and allows me to be flexible with both work and the family. Good luck in what ever you decide!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

8. Member
    Go to Junior college for all your core classes (English, math, etc). You won’t need an ACT/SAT score since you’ve been out of school so long. I went back to school in my late 40s so it’s doable. Just have to be dedicated.

9. Member
    I would inquire with your companies HR department for company paid schooling. My old company paid 100% for further schooling (but they required you do take night classes so you would continue working during your schooling). Regardless if your company pays or you pay, I assume you want to continue working so night classes are mandatory. I would then check with your local colleges on what degrees are available in night school. As DrewFlu33 mentioned, I would ask your local college at the same time what class credits you can receive for life experiences. Check out community colleges as well as many colleges will allow credit transfers from most community colleges.

You have to decide what you want your degree in and whether an associates degree or bachelors degree is best. Unfortunately, many large companies now require bachelors degrees. At my old company, even some hourly union positions required bachelors degrees.

Do your research on your degree to determine how much that degree is in demand in the job market as well as salary ranges. At the same time you have to take your own interests into account for degree selection.

Getting your degree is a long term proposition as you can't take many classes if you need to work during the process. But for those who go back to school and get their degree, they find it to be one of their most rewarding experiences. Good luck in whatever you do.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

10. Member
    I went back and got a degree and it sure helped me advance in responsibilities and pay through the years.
    If you see a way that the degree will gain you what you want go for it. I worked full time and got it at night.
    What you want is up to you........more money........different work........only you know this answer(s) and can be many things!
    Best wishes!

11. Member
    I want to know if I went back to school at 52 to work on another degree, could I compete on a college fishing team.

I'm retired now, but if some of the candidates running on the platform of free college tuition gets in office, I may go back to school to party.

13. Member
    I had my associates and went back at around 35 to complete my bachelors. I had lost my job and finally decided it was time. Went to school at night and worked during the day. It sucked but I finally finished. Its rough but doable.

14. Banned
    I'd rather take a vacation to Punta Cano and drink from the mini bar than go back to school.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    You would probably need some remedial English courses.
    Ouch!

16. Banned
    I’ve always liked school, except for the associated costs. Three degrees is enough for me! Bernie and friends are supposed to forgive me and make everything free, so school may be in my future once again.

17. Member
    Went back and got BBA in 2009 at 37, almost got the loans paid off!! Great decision for me, I worked nights and weekends to pull it off.

18. Member
    Hit me up if you want brother, I work at an Online college (a regionally accredited institution in NY by Middle States) - We servenon traditional aged students for the most part. On-line education may be a great alternative,you can get still get your core gen-eds completed and learn from a distance onyour own time around your schedule.Distance learning isn’t for everyone but it’s a solid option toconsider, and a great alternative to a physical location and a required time frame.If you have questions PM me happy tohelp.I have worked as an academic advisorand college baseball coach in a variety of traditional settings, and now from adistance.

19. Member
    Had a 71 yr old gentleman in the office last week for an open house whom is planning to finish his degree, never too late to start or finish brother.

I got my bachelors degree in my late 20's. Looking back I should have saved my money because I would still be making the same with my work experience. There is no way I would take on that expense now I am in my 40s.

You need to figure out what degree you want and then assess if it will help you make more money or put you in a happier work position. You possibly will not make enough extra money to even cover the cost of the degree. The skyrocketing cost of college will make it harder for later learners, but the core classes a local community collage would help. Paying for it while you go would be your best option if you can swing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast