Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Ouch!
    I know, I know, I should know better than to encourage this type of behavior but I had a belly laugh at this.

I got my 4 year degree and then my Masters degree a few years ago. It was something that I promised my grandmother I would do and I finally fulfilled that promise. I work at a college now and there are a lot of ways to go to school with grants and stuff that don’t cost you a dime. A lot of employers also have tuition assistance and will pay for your degree. I won’t sit here and tell you that college is the perfect solution for everyone but I think education is a good thing. I personally felt like I accomplished something when I got mine and I am still proud of it. Everyone is good at something and has knowledge. Learning is always a good thing. PM me if you would like more info. I promise I won’t try to sell you on a college education. I’ll answer your questions and let you decide.

I went back at 30. Had a 4.0 !
    Had th take a placement test.
    Get the core curriculum out of the way.
    Then I got a great job that trained me for the 15 years I was there.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

4. Member
    Went back six different times without any degrees or certs.. Always had an average above 3.2. Life kept happening and I kept moving on as my interests in other things strengthened and drove me away from schooling. I was born to be blue collar. Worked 8 different trades over 35 years. On the job training. No regrets. Wish I could have had a young man's body for 60 more years. I am taking a breather to catch up on some things after having 2 surgeries and missing half a year in a two year span. I changed to a I job as a driver and shop gopher. After 7 months I miss not having a work discipline and would like to whip myself into good enough condition to do another stint as a stairbuilder after I turn 62. My loans will be paid off and I will have SS to fall back on whenever it's needed.

I am 60 and just did about 2 years getting my masters in lure making. Self taught. After it was all said and done this was what really interested me. I will continue my studies till I set up a small business to sell some of my lures and then learn some more.

My father told me a long time ago to learn something new every day. Not all learning in life is found in a classroom.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 06-17-2019 at 06:19 PM.

It depends on what you want in life. If a college degree makes that more attainable. If not, don’t waste your time or money. And this is from a guy with two degrees. College is only worthwhile if it helps you achieve your goals.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    It depends on what you want in life. If a college degree makes that more attainable. If not, don’t waste your time or money. And this is from a guy with two degrees. College is only worthwhile if it helps you achieve your goals.
    Or if it is something you value as a personal accomplishment and it brings you pride knowing that you achieved it.

7. Member
    Mom went back to school in her 60’s by choice, and got her BS. A few years later, she decided to go back and get her masters. While in school, The NY Times put out a mandate that all HR professionals were required to have a masters degree. She got it done, and retired a couple of years later.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

8. Member
    I went back at 40 and earned my MSIT, was it worth it? I think so, making more now that I was at my previous employer by a good amount and get a ton more hits on the job boards because of it. Probably look to upgrade the salary again next year, get myself another 15K or more.

Check into accelerated learning type schools, co-worker went here and got his BSIT in 18 months.
    https://www.wgu.edu/

They are accredited properly and it is a work at your own pace school. One semester is $3,225 right now and you can take as many classes as you want in each semester. There is a minimum of classes but it is like 5 or something.

Went to college a month before my 41st birthday. Degree in Accounting. Been a CPA for 22 years. I just downloaded my SS statement. Last 22 years my social security wages were 5.9 times the 22 years prior. Worked as a carpenter those 22 years, 17 doing sub contract work building cabinets and residential trim.

P01135809

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    Go to Junior college for all your core classes (English, math, etc). You won’t need an ACT/SAT score since you’ve been out of school so long. I went back to school in my late 40s so it’s doable. Just have to be dedicated.
    This is excellent advice. I am a product of the Florida Junior college system and completed it while working full time. it is not nearly as cutthroat as the four year schools and felt that it prepared me very well for the subsequent transfer to the University of Florida.

Four year schools use a lot of the core classes to "cull the heard". Calculus II was the weed out class for engineers and finance at Florida. These classes you want to take at a Jr. College. They are also more geared to help the working man with night classes.

I am retired now, my career was made based on the University of Florida degree. However, there would have been no University of Florida degree for me without the study skills that I developed at the Junior College. I am forever grateful to Santa Fe Junior College.

11. Banned
    How old are you???... Willing to move???... I saw where the Univ. of Minnesota was offering Baby Boomers classes at $10 an credit hour... All I know is I did my time in college and I ain't going back...

http://www.citypages.com/news/colleg...edit/511124852

And the millennials are pissed... Keep a low profile... Dan

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwes...nials-outraged

12. Member
    I went back and got my Associates in Business Admin at 45. Ended up with a 4.0 and actually was Salutatorian of my graduating class. Was cool because my daughter got to see the work and reward for the effort.

I obtained a couple post secondary degrees back in the 80's and can say they did not start paying for themselves until much later in life. The higher level jobs required a post secondary degree but the experience acquired to get here did not. That being said, be careful what you pay for. If I could sue to get my money back, I would. The universities often employ foreign PHD's that have little to no practical experience so they simply teach the book. This does very little in the way of preparing students for the real word and often loses the class to obscured contexts that are unrelatable to real life. Also, liberalism has infected the scholastic institution and their ideologies are often not commensurate with real world expectations. Not trying to be political but colleges and universities have become very political. It is never too late to go back to school but you need to know what you want to obtain, research who is getting your money and ensure they will actually be giving you your moneys worth of education. Same goes for anyone sending their kids to school.

You may ask how I know all this...My brother has his PHD and spent better than a decade teaching and developing course structure for academia.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    How old are you???... Willing to move???... I saw where the Univ. of Minnesota was offering Baby Boomers classes at $10 an credit hour... All I know is I did my time in college and I ain't going back...

http://www.citypages.com/news/colleg...edit/511124852

And the millennials are pissed... Keep a low profile... Dan

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwes...nials-outraged
    They can attend classes at no charge here, no credits issued. The student gets the knowledge.

No way I'm going back to school. It was tough enough the first time. Problem is taking all the classes required that won't benefit you at all. However, it all depends on your situation.

16. Banned
    When I got out of high school at age 18, my choice was going to the university or going to Vietnam. I made the easy decision--college.
    Out in 4 years, and started in a job with top benefits, including defined pension and later a great 401K.
    MegaCorp decided they'd overreact to economic conditions of 2008, and cut loose all of those 30 years on the job or 55 years old.
    Fortunately, I was able to retire at 58 1/2 and get paid for another year until I could get into my 401K.
    The corporate life allowed me to have the financial resources to have no debts and enough income to maintain my past lifestyle until age 90 or older.
    And it allowed us to move to the lake where we could fish as much as we wanted--right in the front yard.

17. Member
    Thanks Guys im going to look into, I can actually go for free if i can pass the requirements one of my benefits my kids get a free ride also.

18. Member
    I went to college in my 30s...was an interesting adjustment. But I made it unlike 50% of my class...not gonna lie, there was no way I was disciplined enough at 18 to do it
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    I barely graduated high school in 89 and went to trade school, everything i have learned has been on the job training. So im wondering if i wanted a degree where would i begin? would i have to take my prerequisite courses?? or at my age is it even worth it. I have not been in touch with HR yet just really curious of some of the BBC gang has done.
    People pay for things they can't do, won't do, or don't have time to do. What are you interested in learning that you could offer? Is it in demand? How large is the demand, and how long is it projected to stay in demand?

I've been back several times for licensure and or certifications. I don't do well with online training, so I tend to pay for the brick and mortar class. I went back last year for my insurance licensure at 58 years old. A buddy of mine, former Army 18B (Delta Sniper) recently finished his plumbing, electricity, and HVAC certifications and landed a job doing maintenance on 20 something Dunkin Donut franchises. He went back to earn those licenses in his early 40's after a 20+ year Army career. It's never too late if it's your goal.

20. Member
    The key to going back to school is make sure you have a career path goal that is going to result in a higher paying job that is in demand such as nurse, programmer,engineer, accountant, dentist etc.

A Bachelors in Philosophy is not going to help you much in the job market.

Beware of the " For-Profit" schools - they are predators that will take your money, put you in debt, and leave you with a worthless school. Their "career counselors" are salesmen with quotas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast