Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Do you carry a portable jump starter in the boat?

Cranking battery just so happened to die on me the first day I got some new electronics. Made me worried that the electronics were too much for the battery...but it turned out it was a bad battery. Went out a couple times since and no issues.

bought a portable jump starter from wamart. Thing was like $70, which isnt much for piece of mind. but im questioning if ill ever really need it. I used the TM to get back to the ramp and my TM set up is completely separate from everything else. Havent looked into it much, but I told a buddy what happened and he told me I couldve used one of my trolling motor batteries to jump start the cranking battery. Anyone ever do that? Figure that makes the portable jumper more of a luxury than a necessity. what do you all think?

GB40 booster

3. Member
    Whistler Mighty Jump

Yep, always got jumper cables and have used them plenty of times. If my trolling batteries cant jump it off I am sure I can flag someone down. Been thinking about making set that permanently stay on my batterys and just plug them together when needed.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

I carry one of the lithium variety, and it has saved me about 8 miles from the boat ramp before. I just bought a cheap one on Amazon that had good reviews and that cleared fakespot. Bonus is that it makes an awesome, lightweight power supply for phone charging or whatever when on camping trips or otherwise off the grid. I use it when on long ice fishing trips or in the Boundary Waters (the phone makes an awesome GPS and lake map device up there).

If you're more into the name brand stuff, the NOCO ones are extremely well thought of.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Banned
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I have carried one on my current boat for 7 years and never used it. I also didn't keep up with the proper recharging maintenance. Just replaced it recently because it was bad.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Absolutely! I have an Anker portable jump starter. It’s the size of my hand and jumps cars with ease. I take it on the boat with me and had to use it when my cranking battery went bad. I’ll never be without it on the water.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Noco gb70 in truck and goes in boat while fishing
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I have carried one on my current boat for 7 years and never used it. I also didn't keep up with the proper recharging maintenance. Just replaced it recently because it was bad.
    Yea....I know! lol initially bought it as a just in case thing and planned to return it after the first trip. Kinda forgot about it and came across its receipt yesterday and started thinking about it, and just keeping it.

The whole USB charging is real good too if needed, so you all are right! thanks....almost went cheap there!

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wstutts View Post
    Noco gb70 in truck and goes in boat while fishing
    sounds dumb.....but why not do exactly this instead of leaving it in the boat the whole time! I can take my bulky jumper cables out of the truck too! super duh moment right now! LOL will be doing this!

11. Member
    Noco GB40. Haven't needed it for boat but have jumped a dead Mazda Miata and Chevrolet Tahoe

Nope never have. Nor any jumper cables. Never even thought about it. Prob still won’t.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

13. Member
    Nope I have a kicker motor with a pull cord if needed.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

14. Member
    yes, NOCO
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    Nope I have a kicker motor with a pull cord if needed.
    should i buy a kicker motor or just stick with the jump starter? LOL

all joking aside, i tried to use the cord to motor and just couldnt get it started that day my battery died. I prolly should google that....but gotta find one for my motor cuz I did what i saw in videos and no luck! Ill just stick to the portable pack lol

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelsore View Post
    Nope never have. Nor any jumper cables. Never even thought about it. Prob still won’t.
    me either i make sure batteries are good

17. Member
    I carry this in my jeep and take it on the boat. Haven't taken it out on my new boat yet. I should towed guy in last time out if I would of had it could of gave him a jump start.
    Works real well.

https://store.snapon.com/Manual-Char...t-P906395.aspx

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    me either i make sure batteries are good
    hope it works out for you.

19. Member
    NOCO GB40 is always in the boat.

20. Member
    have one never used on boat , but have used on my zero turn and worked great
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast