New 250 Pro XS questions.

Hi,

I have a new Phoenix. I am running a 2019 250 Pro XS 4S (24 Fury 3 Blade). Serial # is 2B644524 Currently in 2 hour break in (motor tucked). WOT is 5600. Water pressure gauge is reading 0 at idle and 9-10 at WOT. No alarms and engine temp readings are stable at 135 to 140 degrees. I do not think it is running hot. I have the Mercury System Monitor (wish I had got the MercMonitor). My system monitor does not read water pressure, oil pressure or oil temp. Aren't these water pressure readings too low? Do I need to add a better water pressure gauge? Should my system monitor show water pressure? Should I swap to a Merc monitor?
    Thanks for you help in advance.

Scott
    Last edited by knopf; 06-21-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added more stuff

2. Member
    At WOT my water pressure is around 20. At idle it does stay around 0. The only gauge that I am reading is the one of the dash. I dont have MerMonitor either.

3. Member
    thanks. I am not confident in the Phoenix gauge. I am going to investigate my options.

4. Member
    I think your first option is to take to your dealer and see what the run history is for water pressure and check wether your gauge is correct and your water pressure is low or the gauge is wrong. You need an accurate water pressure reading.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Get a Merc monitor way more accurate reading . If u havent purchased a water pressure sensor u will need one on the new 4 stoke with a Merc Monitor system . Once installed the connection is already there on the wiring harness , and it is a digital reading stright from the engine pcm .

6. mikesxpress
    WOT water PSI (level 1 Merc Monitor & Smartcraft gages) on my Ranger Z21 Intracoastal with a 250 V8 is 32-34. I've had the engine since July 2018.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    WOT water PSI (level 1 Merc Monitor & Smartcraft gages) on my Ranger Z21 Intracoastal with a 250 V8 is 32-34. I've had the engine since July 2018.
    that's about what I expected.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the Top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

You can obtain the Block Water Pressure Sensor and install- check out the FAQ, there is a post there outlining a simple method to use BOTH Analog and Digital Water Pressure.

I would verify the info from another source before believing those ANALOG readings.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    thanks Don.

10. Member
    What is the difference between the Merc System Monitor, and the MercMonitor? Just curious because I just have the SC1000 Tach.

11. Member
    the system monitor is black and square ($250) the MercMonitor is round ($650) and does more.

12. Member
    Not to mention the system monitor is decades old technology, discontinued, only provides limited data, and one data item at a time. Been there, done that, got rid of it.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Kindof like buying a black and white TV.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    OK. I have added the digital sending unit and my water pressure readings are still below 15 psi all the time. I was idling through some sparse eel grass the other day and actually showed negative readings (how is this possible. Shouldn't I see more than 14 at WOT. I am staying at 140 temp but it doesn't seem like this is much room for error.

Scott

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What sensor (exactly) did you install, and how was it installed?

What is the water pressure reading KEY ON, ENGINE OFF?

And, are you still trying to use the old System Monitor?