Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida

Don. 250R Sport Master

1E080631

Don if you remove the prop from the S M lower unit I see there’s a black ring that appears to be held in place with a set screw.

My ring is being rubbed on inside by a bravo prop.
    Is this a way to save the lower unit case? Or something I need to be concerned with

2. Member
    Anyone?????

When I got my bravo it rubbed when I turned it by hand. I thought maybe I got a bad one. I never ran it like that. Asked a few people on here and got some feedback before i sent it back. It was as simple as this... took the hub out, rotated it one notch, and put back in prop. Solved the rub issue.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Member
    Craig not sure if makes a difference but I’m running an SSR hub

Gotcha, I have not tried one of those. I'm still using the standard HD hub (840389K06) kit with the strips. It may be worth trying, if you already haven't, to see if that makes a difference.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

6. Member
    I am not a fan of the SSR hub. I tried 3 different brand new props with 2 different brand new SSR hubs. Every one of them rubbed against the gearcase. One bad enough that it wore a small grove on the inside of the gearcase. Don't have a problem with the standard HD hub. Plus when going at a fast idle I can feel a rhythmic vibration with the SSR hub where as the HD hub is smooth as butter.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This is a protective ring, meant to help save the case or bearing carrier retainer.

What is the maximum torque that you have used installing the prop? It is possible that the SSR hub kit didn't quite seat fully (most commonly if there is no prop damage, this is caused by abnormality in the prop hub or an improperly seated hub).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor