Thread: Rt188 vs 188c

Rt188 vs 188c

Is anyone running a 188C and wishing they had the regular RT with the center rod box. They both have their virtues. It would appear the C model has less storage. Any actual user thoughts?

2. Member
    I looked at both when I was kicking tires as the C was a bit cheaper. I ended up with regular 188 because I don't need a front live well and I liked the layout better.

3. Banned
    I ordered the regular 188 and one of the options was three across seating. I spent a day in the C and the layout IMO was terrible.

4. Member
    I’ve got the 188c and love it. I do sacrifice a little storage space but can spider rig for crappie side x side up front and fill the well one day and fish 2 upfront pitching top water the next.

5. Member
    I looked hard at the C and really wanted to like it. There was a member here that had a new tournament win boat for sale at a great price. In the end I went with a regular one, I really liked the center rod box.

6. Member
    Fishing deck space and storage on the 188 are superior. I can easily fit 12 rods (in socks) in the rod box.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Banned
    I think they are totally different boats made for different types of fishing. Both are great but it really comes down to personal choice on what you want to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I think they are totally different boats made for different types of fishing. Both are great but it really comes down to personal choice on what you want to do with it.
    Exactly. I love the rod cabinet with the tubes on the RT188, but that's not for everybody. It's one of the reasons that I decided on it. I still like it after six years. But like Jamie said...it comes down to personal choice. If I sat down with a pencil and designed my own interior layout, I don't think I could suit me better than Ranger did with the RT.....and that's after owning it about six years.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Member
    It all comes down to using the front livewell. I did not use them when they were all the rage in the 70’s and 80’s. I love the large center locker in the normal RT. You may want that front livewell? I think I’ve used my rear livewell four times in three years?

10. Member
    I have a 188C and love it but I fish for crappie 80% of the time. I like the wide 2 person sitting up front and being down a bit in the boat versus setting up high off the water like on the 188. I also use my front livewell all the time. Very handy. I helped the storage issue by converting the area in front of the console in to a storage spot with a hinged lid. I had to cut some of the metal out of that area and put a rubber seal around the inner metal opening. I also like the flat deck running along the side of the boat to lay my long spider rig rods down on. Boat works well for me.