Just bought my 2nd kayak

My name is Kieth and I have a fishing problem.
    My boat is currently in the shop so I used my kayak (Ascend FS128T) last weekend. Sunday I went out and bought my second kayak. Pelican Catch 130. Has the "hydrive" system. Similar to 1st Gen Hobie drive system; no reverse mode. I'll be testing it out this weekend.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    Let us hear more about how her trial goes.

You can't have to many.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

^^Truth be told...I really want a Hobie Pro Angler...I just can't justify the cost. I normally only fish out my kayak during the summer months...and that's normally when I'm being lazy about taking the boat out.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

So, took the new kayak out this weekend. For the price you can’t beat it for a pedal kayak. I still think it “feels” a little flimsy. But it supported my 235 lb butt without any issue and was pretty stable.

There’s space right behind the seat for a milk crate which is easily accessible. There’s also a water tight compartment in the very end…which is not accessible. There’s bunji cords on both sides beside your legs where you can secure small tackle bags, plano boxes, water bottles, mosquito repellant, sunscreen, etc. There’s a bunji corded cargo area forward of that…that isn’t very accessible while you’re on the water. The rudder is easily pulled up and lowered by a cord on the right side of the kayak. There’s also a bunji cord on the left hand side to secure a paddle. I’m going to add a paddle clip in that spot as I think it’ll be better secured.

Pros: Definitely a price point pedal kayak. At $1499 (I got it for $1200) it’s very affordable. The pedal system (similar to Hobie’s first gen) works extremely well. If you’re seriously pushing…you can hit about 4 mph, comfortable pace will yield about 2 mph. It tracks fairly well and with the rudder control on the left hand side, it’s easy enough to propel you through the water, steer, and fish simultaneously. It’s also light enough to pick up and slide into the bed of a pickup bed without worrying about ruining the bottom. The seat is a basic mesh seat that can be adjusted by the straps that attach to the back. Recommend you spend some time adjusting the seat and the pedal configuration. By the time I got off the pond, I was comfortably pedaling without any lower back issues.

Cons: This isn’t a Hobie. The pedal drive is similar, but that’s where the similarities end. There is no reverse on the pedal drive (though you can pull it out of the slot, and turn it around…but it’s just as fast to pull out your paddle to back up). While you can stand up in it…I didn’t feel as though I was as “balanced” as I was when testing a Hobie. The tri-hull design makes getting it to “fit” on a kayak cart difficult. There are only two scupper holes (no plugs come with the kayak) and they’re in the middle and rear of the kayak. I didn’t detect much water coming in. I have a cart for my Ascend that plugs into my scupper holes and another cart that straps to the kayak. My “strap cart” kept sliding and shifting on me.

Solution: A cheap dolly from Harbor Freight and two ratchet straps. I used a small piece of a moving blanket on the dolly, put the kayak on it, ratcheted it on to hold the handle in place and picked it up from the front. I was able to move it pretty easily.
    2016 Nitro Z21

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    So, took the new kayak out this weekend. For the price you can’t beat it for a pedal kayak. I still think it “feels” a little flimsy. But it supported my 235 lb butt without any issue and was pretty stable.

There’s space right behind the seat for a milk crate which is easily accessible. There’s also a water tight compartment in the very end…which is not accessible. There’s bunji cords on both sides beside your legs where you can secure small tackle bags, plano boxes, water bottles, mosquito repellant, sunscreen, etc. There’s a bunji corded cargo area forward of that…that isn’t very accessible while you’re on the water. The rudder is easily pulled up and lowered by a cord on the right side of the kayak. There’s also a bunji cord on the left hand side to secure a paddle. I’m going to add a paddle clip in that spot as I think it’ll be better secured.

Pros: Definitely a price point pedal kayak. At $1499 (I got it for $1200) it’s very affordable. The pedal system (similar to Hobie’s first gen) works extremely well. If you’re seriously pushing…you can hit about 4 mph, comfortable pace will yield about 2 mph. It tracks fairly well and with the rudder control on the left hand side, it’s easy enough to propel you through the water, steer, and fish simultaneously. It’s also light enough to pick up and slide into the bed of a pickup bed without worrying about ruining the bottom. The seat is a basic mesh seat that can be adjusted by the straps that attach to the back. Recommend you spend some time adjusting the seat and the pedal configuration. By the time I got off the pond, I was comfortably pedaling without any lower back issues.

Cons: This isn’t a Hobie. The pedal drive is similar, but that’s where the similarities end. There is no reverse on the pedal drive (though you can pull it out of the slot, and turn it around…but it’s just as fast to pull out your paddle to back up). While you can stand up in it…I didn’t feel as though I was as “balanced” as I was when testing a Hobie. The tri-hull design makes getting it to “fit” on a kayak cart difficult. There are only two scupper holes (no plugs come with the kayak) and they’re in the middle and rear of the kayak. I didn’t detect much water coming in. I have a cart for my Ascend that plugs into my scupper holes and another cart that straps to the kayak. My “strap cart” kept sliding and shifting on me.

Solution: A cheap dolly from Harbor Freight and two ratchet straps. I used a small piece of a moving blanket on the dolly, put the kayak on it, ratcheted it on to hold the handle in place and picked it up from the front. I was able to move it pretty easily.
    i recently bought a 2016 Hobie Outback, this one was made prior to the reverse-able drive. It was almost a giveaway price and it had been for sale a long time. The lack of the reversible drive is the only reason I can think of.

anyway, my Hobie is good for 4 mph if you really get after it, 3 mph is much easier and more realistic for me. This is my third fishing kayak, the other two being Jackson paddle kayaks. There are things I like about both types, the big disadvantage for me with the pedal drives is the lack of accessible storage. I’ve had a couple of back surgeries and my ability to twist around to access items behind me is very limited. On the paddle kayaks I put my tackle bag between my knees, right where the pedal mechanism is. Another disadvantage with the Hobie is doing river floats. The rivers here almost always have very shallow sections. I’ll continue to take the paddle kayak for river floats, for fear of damaging the pedal drive.

But it overall the Hobie is the superior kayak, I can cover a LOT more water for the same amount of energy. I often fish in the evening after work, and find myself a long way from the truck when it’s time to quit. This used to me a long, tiring paddle. With the Hobie it’s as easy as walking the same distance, maybe easier.

mine came with a Hobie paddle, I bought the end that makes it like a canoe paddle and that’s all I use now. I use the paddle to push off from the bank, to slow down or back up, and when coming back to the bank.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

7. Member
    Just a suggestion for you, and anyone else who has issues with a cart sliding around and having to be strapped down.

Make/buy a cart that has an extension out the front (see picture below). If you don't have an extension, I would think that you could add a "yoke" made from rope or possibly PVC. Attach a "pull-rope" to that front extension or yoke. Run the "pull rope" through the forward handle/grip/hole on the kayak. Then, simply pull both the cart with the "pull-rope" and the kayak at the same time. The cart will follow along.

It is important that the cart be made to fit properly into the grooves on the bottom of the kayak. That is why making one yourself is not only easy, cost-effective and it will custom fit your yak, not someone elses.

As an aside, I, personally, would NEVER have a scupper cart. Ask at a kayak shop and you most likely find that 90% of the kayak repairs are to the scupper area. The scuppers are the weakest part of any roto-molded kayak. Just my opinion, of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by richg99; 06-24-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Rich. That's my long term solution, build my own. I went with the cheap dolly due to the time and necessity. As for my scupper cart for my Ascend, while normally I would agree with the assessment and inherent risk, history has proven me wrong...I've had the cart and kayak for over 6 years, and haven't had an issue yet. But I've been pretty cautious putting it on and off every time. I may steal your design if you don't mind. Where did you get your wheels and axle?
    2016 Nitro Z21

Warhawk, I looked hard at the Hobies...and if I didn't already spend way too much for a boat, I probably would have pulled the trigger on one. But I normally only use the kayak about a 12-15 times a year...and it would be difficult for me to justify the expense. I had looked for an older used one...but without any luck. Glad to see you found an affordable one.
    2016 Nitro Z21

10. Member
    Wheels and axle. Best I can remember is the axle came from HD or Lowes. The wheels probably were sourced at my favorite cheap-skate project supplier location, ....a local Church or Charity thrift store. They have tons of Golf Carts; Baby Carriages; small bicycles, etc. A tinkerer's dream place! Ha Ha regards.

p.s re the scupper cart "success" that you have had...it only takes hitting ONE curb or Pothole to crack the plastic. Being careful is great. Good luck.

thanks. I'll check Lowes and HD I might just "scrap" the new dolly (since I already own one). The new one has big 10" wheels; I can either cut down the handle to save weight or just remove the wheels and axle and build everything out of PVC like you did.
    2016 Nitro Z21

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Warhawk, I looked hard at the Hobies...and if I didn't already spend way too much for a boat, I probably would have pulled the trigger on one. But I normally only use the kayak about a 12-15 times a year...and it would be difficult for me to justify the expense. I had looked for an older used one...but without any luck. Glad to see you found an affordable one.
    Thanks, the guy I bought the Hobie from is 70+ years old, little guy. He sold because he bought a Hobie Compass, a new model that’s a little lighter than the Outback.

My Outback came with a Raymarine Dragonfly 5 fish finder, with Hobie battery kit, an upgraded square hatch right in front of the seat, a paddle, rod holder, and the turbo fins upgrade on the drive. He’d had it for sale for several months, so maybe it wasn’t such a great deal. I’m with you, ideally I’d have a Pro Angler 12 or 14, but that would require a trailer and all that and I might as well get a used aluminum boat.

are you in Fayetteville Arkansas or North Carolina?
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Fayetteville, NC.
    2016 Nitro Z21

So I spent the last week (Friday to Friday) fishing everyday out of the new kayak. I wanted to add that it's a lot more stable than I originally gave it credit for. I have a stand up bar from Yak-attack that I transferred from my other kayak and it made standing up and fishing very easy. All in all I can easily recommend the Pelican Catch to others that don't want to spend over 3k on a Hobie.
    2016 Nitro Z21