Talon mount to Jackplate

I bought 2 12 foot talons and had them installed. The boat shop used sandwich mounts between the jackplate and motor vs. the actual jackplate mounts that bolt on the side of the jackplate. Will I have any issue with this setup other than the talons not pointing perfectly straight up and down?

I have no idea if using a sandwich mount on a jackplate makes a difference. As for the adjustment of the angle a side mount or sandwich mount has nothing to do with how you adjust the angle because both adjust the same way. The only difference is how the mount is attached to the boat.

To adjust forward/back angle there will be several holes near the bottom of the bracket that holds the Talon upright. You can see how moving the bolt from one hole to another will make the Talon angel move forward or back. This is just my personal preference but I like to have mine slightly tilted forward a very small amount. The reason I do this is because I always point my boat into current when I deploy my Talons. It might not make a difference but my line of though is if they are tilted slightly forward the force of the current will try to push the boat backwards. I "think" if they were slightly angled forward they will bite better than if they were straight down. Again I have nothing to prove this and I only angle them forward a small amount. Also when adjusting forward/back angle it is different on the boat trailer verses in the water. Get them close to what you want with then on the trailer but once in water the back of the boat will not be level with the front of the boat so the angle may slightly be different so you may have to re-adjust to compensate for how the boat sits in the water. I know my Talons look different on the trailer verses in the water. As for side to side angle adjustments if my memory is correct you loosen four bolts to adjust that angle. The good thing about angle adjustment is it only take a couple minutes to change. Once you get it the way you want it you are done for good.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    I bought 2 12 foot talons and had them installed. The boat shop used sandwich mounts between the jackplate and motor vs. the actual jackplate mounts that bolt on the side of the jackplate. Will I have any issue with this setup other than the talons not pointing perfectly straight up and down?
    The main issue you'll have (if you don't adjust it to point directly down) is that you'll lose a few inches of down staking the poles if they aren't mounted in a straight down position. Meaning, your talons won't have as much footage to spike down fully (12ft of actual usage vs 11ft fully down when angled).
    2018 Nitro Z21 w/Mercury 250 Pro XS, 24P Fury
    MK Ultrex 112lb
    3 HDS 12 Carbon Gen3
    2 MK 8ft Talons

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc7 View Post
    The main issue you'll have (if you don't adjust it to point directly down) is that you'll lose a few inches of down staking the poles if they aren't mounted in a straight down position. Meaning, your talons won't have as much footage to spike down fully (12ft of actual usage vs 11ft fully down when angled).
    I'm not too concerned about that. Mainly that there wouldn't be issue with the engine or jackplate with the sandwich mount.