What size reel for a 7 foot casting jig pole?

I’ve seen varying opinions from a 1000 to a 2500. Looking at Pfluger president in either the 25 or 30 size.

Going on a 7 foot SHSS spinning jig pole.

Most likely will be using 4-6 pound Mr. Crappie line and 1/16 jigs.

2. T Dub
    Just depends how much line you want to spool - personally I would go smaller. I use some 2500 shimano and some 2000 daiwa but wouldn’t hesitate to try the 1000 shimanos

3. Member
    I would use the 1000 Shimano and 4# line with the 1/16 th jig. You will get plenty of distance and the reel will hold ample line.

I use the 4# Crappie Max line and am pleased with it.

4. Member
    I like the 1000 in Shimano brand. Plenty of line in 4 or 6 lb for throwing jigs. In a Pflueger Pres I would do the 25 or 20. The 20 is real small but still holds enough line for what you want to do but some of it's gonna come down to personal preference. I wouldn't do the 30. You are getting into small bass reel type size then. Just my two cents. I've got three Presidents and the newer ones aren't as good as the older ones were IMO. My last three panfish reels have been Shimano Sedona. I like them a little better and they are similar in price. Just my two cents.

I use 500 series Shimano's. I have no problem casting or shooting jigs wherever I need it. Some like the 1000 series for the bigger spool which should increase your casting distance.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I use the smaller president and trion reels on my 7 foot jenko rods as well as my 7'6 acc rod. I also Have a bps micro elite on a 7 ft jenko rod as well. I have pretty much gone away from the larger reels other than a few I have on some white bass rigs I use.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

7. Member
    Most of my reels are the 500 size with a few being of 750 and 1000 size.