180vs reata - motor height / trim and how it reacts

so I know my boat is a one off as its not as common as most bassboats on here but im not looking for something specific to my boat.. I DONT THINK....

I want to know when i've found a good pad to prop height with trim angle on how the boat reacts and whats the "norm"

180vs with a 150 optimax 8" hydrodynamic jackplate (manual) 21pitch tempest prop

I recently tested my boat @ 4.5" pad to prop. ran good I manage to squeeze out 54.5mph at 5500rpm full trim out and it felt stable / "glued" to the water sort to speak. I felt that trim angle didnt do as much other then control rpm and carry the bow slightly higher or lower but nothing do or die when at planed speed.

This past weekend I decided to try it at 4.25" and I found a couple things.... when playing with the trim I could really feel the difference. it would plow at full down trim and would raise the bow as i increased it and at wot it carried the bow nicely. however it felt "loose" and a bit squirly sort to speak at times when full trimmed up for my best wot speed runs. I probably could of left the trim angle abit up the whole time vs needing to drop it to full down even....

I did find too though at 4.25 I would periodically get more prop slip then other times... my best run at 4.25 was 5460RPM at 54.5 but I also got 51mph at 5500 on another run the same day.

So long story short.. whats the norm on how a boat should act with the proper pad to prop height... should trim at planed speed really make or break how it rides or is trim more of a secondary option just to fine tune for additional speed and rpm... im debating on testing 4" pad to prop but not sure if its worth my time.

from the prop slip calculator 5460 at 54.5mph is 6% slip 5500 at 51mph is 12% so I THINK im within a respectable range?
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Member
    I am more so wondering if the boat feels loose at full wot / near wot speeds running on the pad is it optimal or is the motor too high. at 4.25" pad to prop I was able to run on pad to the point you can feel the loosenesss of the boat.

at 4.50" you didnt feel the boat be "loose" or ride as far back..

water psi was still within spec etc.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

I know this is an old post but I noticed on my 180 that there is no pad, not like on a bassboat. Just a V hull. I'm getting about the same numbers but with a 23 tempest and 6"JP
    Last edited by -BjBnet-; 06-10-2020 at 01:16 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -BjBnet- View Post
    I know this is an old post but I noticed on my 180 that there is no pad, not like on a bassboat. Just a V hull. I'm getting about the same numbers but with a 23 tempest and 6"JP
    just saw this post! i see there is no actual fully "flat pad" on the back of the hull mind you the "v" is a very subtle one compared to some other boats i've seen.

your running a 23P tempest with a 6" JP on a 180vs? what motor? Im still partially under reving with a 21P tempest peak was 5500-5560 at best my peak rpms and speed actually just dropped a bit as I recently installed a Ultrex and it didnt like that added weight at the bow.