Help a drop shot newbie

I only use baitcasters, and don't want to switch to spinning for this new-to-me presentation. Anyone use a bait-caster for this? Any pointers on rod make/model? Line, leaders, baits, etc?

Heading to LSC in July, want to give this a try.

Thanks,

Mike

GLoomis NRX drop shot rod. Go with a 1/2 weight. We use them all the time.
    18 Ranger 521L 50th Anniversary Ed /Evinrude G2 250HO

I'll never understand why people won't use a spinning rod. It's the best tool for some techniques, and a drop shot is just about as textbook a spinning rod technique there is. The biggest thing is getting it to fall in a controlled manner and NOT overpowering it, both of which are tough to accomplish with a baitcaster. Can you fish it on casting gear? Yep. But why not use the best tool for the job? Especially if you're learning something new, I haven't the foggiest why you'd want to make it more difficult. Case in point: There are no pros that I've ever seen that throw a drop shot ("power shot" notwithstanding) on casting gear.

A sensitive medium-light rod, braid of your choice (I like 0.15 mm diameter or so), a light leader (I like 7 lb Sunline Sniper), and dropshot bait of your choice (I almost always use finesse worms) will get you started. I throw 1/4 oz weights 80% of the time, 1/8 oz probably 15% of the time, 3/8 oz probably 4% of the time, and something heavier very rarely, give it that last 1%.

Watch line diameters on your leader, 6 or 8 lb lines aren't created equal. When I first started I was using Berkley 100% fluorocarbon for a leader. Couldn't catch fish on a dropshot to save my life, then I figured out that the 8 lb I was using was the same diameter as other companies' 12 lb. That simple switch made all the difference in the world. It's really important to get a natural presentation, and that heavy line kills it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Adding some more specifics to the above, if I were buying a production rod right now and budget was a concern, I'd be looking at a Phenix Feather in 7'1" M (they over-rate their rods relative to other companies, so this rod will fish more medium-light) and sticking a Daiwa BG 2500 on it. I'd spool it with something like Fins XS coral orange in 10 lb - I think brands of line and such are really overblown, I just like the orange color of this line for visibility and their 10 lb rated stuff is the right diameter, but any 8 strand braid in the right diameter would suit what I want from a line - and connect it to 10 or 12 feet of the aforementioned Sunline Sniper 7 lb using Shin Fukae's knot which I've heard called the "lazy Alberto." Tie on a #2 VMC Neko or Gamakatsu B10S hook with a Palomar knot leaving a 12-18 inch tag to attach a 1/4 oz weight. If you're using the weights with the line-gripping clips, tie a simple overhand knot at the end of the tag and put the weight on above it. This helps tremendously with fish throwing weights when you're fighting them to the boat as the weight will slide until it hits the knot but won't slide off the end.

Some examples of specific finesse worms I really like include Zoom Finesse Worms, Strike King Fat Baby Finesse Worms, Roboworms, and others. Can't go wrong with green pumpkin or some variation of it. Try them both nose-hooked and wacky-hooked to see what the fish want on a given day.

There are tons and tons and tons of options to mix and match all of this. Every person is going to have a different suggestion. I really would urge you to consider trying a spinning rod for it though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'll never understand why people won't use a spinning rod. It's the best tool for some techniques, and a drop shot is just about as textbook a spinning rod technique there is.
    This 100%. Try getting an 1/8oz jig down 40ft in current...with a baitcaster. It sucks.

you can definitely use a baitcaster for drop shot. People usually use spinnng rods cause its easier to find the lighter actions for finesse and they handle light liner better with more precise drags.
    But LSC is full of hungry smallies, you shouldn't have much issue with a baitcaster

I think Aaron Martens used to drop shot a bit with baitcaters, might be able to find some old videos

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have a Loomis dropshot casting rod to go with my trusty NRX 822S DSR and I catch all sorts of fish with it. A casting rod is not all that good for dropping it on their heads when you see them on the sonar but if you're casting and kind of bouncing the dropshot back then a casting rod is perfectly fine.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Banned
    I'll never understand why people won't use a spinning rod. It's the best tool for some techniques, and a drop shot is just about as textbook a spinning rod technique there is. The biggest thing is getting it to fall in a controlled manner and NOT overpowering it, both of which are tough to accomplish with a baitcaster. Can you fish it on casting gear? Yep. But why not use the best tool for the job? Especially if you're learning something new, I haven't the foggiest why you'd want to make it more difficult.
    I need help driving nails, it’s something I have never done. I only use screwdrivers to drive them in. Wanted tips on if flat or Phillips work better. Only joking around. I would recommend trying with spinning gear first. Drew flu has given solid advice. I have seen a lot of hooks pulled and fish lost with guys that use baitcasters for drop shots.

9. Member
    I'll never understand why people won't use a spinning rod. It's the best tool for some techniques, and a drop shot is just about as textbook a spinning rod technique there is. The biggest thing is getting it to fall in a controlled manner and NOT overpowering it, both of which are tough to accomplish with a baitcaster. Can you fish it on casting gear? Yep. But why not use the best tool for the job? Especially if you're learning something new, I haven't the foggiest why you'd want to make it more difficult. Case in point: There are no pros that I've ever seen that throw a drop shot ("power shot" notwithstanding) on casting gear.

A sensitive medium-light rod, braid of your choice (I like 0.15 mm diameter or so), a light leader (I like 7 lb Sunline Sniper), and dropshot bait of your choice (I almost always use finesse worms) will get you started. I throw 1/4 oz weights 80% of the time, 1/8 oz probably 15% of the time, 3/8 oz probably 4% of the time, and something heavier very rarely, give it that last 1%.

Watch line diameters on your leader, 6 or 8 lb lines aren't created equal. When I first started I was using Berkley 100% fluorocarbon for a leader. Couldn't catch fish on a dropshot to save my life, then I figured out that the 8 lb I was using was the same diameter as other companies' 12 lb. That simple switch made all the difference in the world. It's really important to get a natural presentation, and that heavy line kills it.
    I shake my head every time I hear someone say that. Maybe they’re too macho for a spinning rod

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I shake my head every time I hear someone say that. Maybe they’re too macho for a spinning rod
    I don't think its necessarily that all the time, some cases sure...

I don't think there is really a better way to drop shot than a spinning rod though. Just my opinion. I love me a spinning rod!

I use a Daiwa Steez svf ags spinning rod with a 2018 Daiwa Exist 2500 spinning reel and would rather use this than any of my baitcasters.Drop shoting has quickly become one of my favorite ways to fish.

While I prefer a baitcaster for Shakyhead fishing, there's NO WAY I'd use one for Dropshotting. To me, the Shaky is for 0-20' and the DS is for 15'-45'. When you're fishing that deep, you'll want to fish more under the boat and dropping it down with a baitcaster is a PITA with even the 1/2 oz DS weight that is my standard. Some do fish a DS more horizontal, but I'm not one.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

13. Member
    I drop shot smallmouth in 40-45ft of water all summer/early fall with a baitcaster set up. I use a medium rod with 8lbs fluorocarbon. I use a 1/2-3/4 ounce weight (Quick drop) depending on the wind. I love it ! More comfortable more control, never a problem. Each to there own....

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I drop shot smallmouth in 40-45ft of water all summer/early fall with a baitcaster set up. I use a medium rod with 8lbs fluorocarbon. I use a 1/2-3/4 ounce weight (Quick drop) depending on the wind. I love it ! More comfortable more control, never a problem. Each to there own....
    You also list weight lifting as a hobby on your profile. I ain’t saying, but I’m just saying.