New Mercury 4 Stroke V8 RPM'S @WOT

Engine S/N: 2B596665
    2019 21 XRS Bullet w/Mercury 250 Pro XS V8 4 Stroke

I was wondering if you guys know anything about setting the throttle signal which I was told is a voltage signal that needs to be set with a laptop to achieve 100%. My question is does it also have a feedback signal telling it that the throttle is actually traveling 100%? I was running a 28p Bravo XS prop going 75mph @5740RPMs. I tried a 26p Bravo XS and I only got 76mph @5870RPMs. Seems like I should have gained allot more RPMs at WOT.

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    May have to drop to a 24 or 25p. I know when i first got my 4s merc i had to drop down a pitch for the prop I was running on my 2s optimax. I recently purchases a 24p fury to try and see if i liked it better than the 25 I am running now. I bumped 6200rpm and had a great hole shot but it was just a little slower than the 25

3. Member
    HAVE PROPS BEEN WORKED? ANY ADD/REMOVE OF WEIGHT OR HEIGHTS? LOOKS LIKE SLIPPAGE BETWEEN PROPS ARE DIFFERENT.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Of course the slip is going to be different between two different propellers.

To accurately determine if the throttle is reaching 100%, it will be necessary to get the engine on the Dealer G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System.

This gearcase design does require lower pitch numbers than were used with some previous models, due in part to the substantially improved gearcase geometry.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I have had several conversation with two guys, Scott Reichow and Rick Mackie, from Mercury Racing. The Bravo XS props when casted are all made with even pitch 1 inch apart: ie 24,26,28. When they developed the odd pitchs all they did was add cup. The 1st of Bravo XS, came out in 2011, with the 8 pvs holes where only avaible 1 inch pitch changes. In 2015 Mercury Racing interduce the 1/2 inch sizes. All Bravo's, XS, FS, LT and such run low in their true pitch size: ie a 27 inch runs like a 26 Tempest. What this boils down to is they make a 24 pitch, then add some cup and call it a 24 1/2, then add some more cup and call it a 25, and one more time they add some more cup and call it a 25 1/2. Then to make a 26 is a new casting, all this info comes from the Mercury Racing website under the Blogs. I run a 27 inch in the winter time, and a 25 1/2 in the summer. My boat is a Triton 21HP with a 250 Pro XS 2 stoke, the boat is heavy loaded and that is where the Bravos XS shine, great mid range with a little loss on top end. I was concerned with prop slip with my 27 inch prop, talked to Scott and he told me to run it as a 26 inch with Mercury prop slip calculator and the numbers will be right. Hope this helps about the props.
    Last edited by BuddyT; 06-29-2019 at 07:00 PM.

I think I may have found my issue. I found a broken alternator belt which was caused by the pulley on the crankshaft breaking. That may have created some drag. Not sure.

2014 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS