2008 hpdi bad piston

Hi, just lost a piston on a 2008 yamaha hpdi 200, i have great compression on all the remaining cylinders but the one which is zero .. is it possible to just redo that piston/rings or do i have to rebuilt the whole thing? cylinder wall looks ok from what i can see with a small camera... thanks

2. Member
    Cbrowny, Yes, if your cylinder looks good, you should be able to replace the piston and keep on trucking. We did that on mine and it ran great for about 8 months which is exactly what we expected. It's not the $7000 rebuild but it'll get you back on the water. Until it blows again....

3. Member
    If the cylinder walls can be cleaned up in situ then it is quite possible to just replace the piston and rings. After honing the cylinder and cleaning it up thoroughly. More than likely you will want a new injector (usually the old one is damaged) and perhaps a reed valve. If a new injector is not needed then I would send all of them out for an inspection.

Which cylinder is it?

Run 91/93 octane, don't over prop the motor, don't stomp on a gas pedal, allow the motor to warm up, and you can get quite a bit of life out of the ole girl.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, looks like im off the water for a while or until i find someone to either do the work or i get a new motor .....

5. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrowny View Post
    Thanks guys, looks like im off the water for a while or until i find someone to either do the work or i get a new motor .....
    Take a look at Hydro-Tec website awesome reputation

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

6. Randy Walker
    As others said, yes you should be able to get that one cylinder done. I had #2 go back in 2016 and had it and #1 done at the same time due to blow over onto my #1 piston. Anyhow... my boat NEVER ran the same after the cylinder rebuild. Lost top speed and RPM. Yamaha advised they do not recommend doing individual cylinders... either do all at once or new powerhead. They feel the reason my motor is not performing the same is because of the different pistons used and those two cylinders being bored. Now my motor is so far out of specs that it's not running properly. I guess the Wisco pistons used heat up and cool down at different temps than the other Yamaha pistons do, so it's got my motor whacked out... Just giving info on what I've been told by a shop and Yamaha... hope yours works out. Good luck!