Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Mercury Repower? Blown ProXS

Hello All,

2010 BassCat Puma FTD DC

2010 Mercury Pro Xs 250 (ser# 1B764965) (app. 800 hours)

Unfortunately last week the old Pro XS 250 decided to give up. Shot pieces of the connecting rods #5 and #6 through each lower side of the case. Funny part is it will still start and idle, lol. The lower unit was worn out also and I really want a new Pro XS 4 stroke. I am leaning against ordering a reman long block, but after calling a dozen or more boat shops and suppliers, it looks as though I may have to do something if I don't want to be down for a year or more. Anyway, I would like to learn a little more about the new Pro XS 4 strokes if anyone is willing to respond with some rays of light.

1. I have Merc smartcraft gauges, which should connect to new one?

2. On a repower such as mine, should I be looking for a DTS model or a remote model. I know (DTS) is digital throttle shift, but after researching I am very confused about what would be best for my application on a 2010 BassCat with a 2010 ProXS.

3. Anyone know where I can purchase new one (4 stroke)?

4. If I do get a reman long block, anyone know a reputable place to purchase one?

5. Any thoughts on why mine finally gave up? Seems lately I have been hearing a slight knock coming from the lower end of the crank. For a few months. Isolated it with a stethoscope and it sounded like the lower crank bearing was "singing" a bit. Still ran fine. Pistons and cylinders look fine, plugs look fine. Just got two big holes in the block, ha.

6. Drive shaft on the lower unit was pretty sloppy (had some end play). Is it possible that could have worn the crank bearing? Or just at 800 hours it was normal wear?

Anyway, any comments are appreciated. I cant be off the water for a year or two so will probably try to get a reman block while I wait. If I do I will definitely send the injectors to Don and probably get a new air compressor, it is original with 800 hours also. Looks fine (no play in shaft) but will still probably replace.

2. Member
    factory dressed powerhead from MERC , must replace tuner also , I has done several as of late, every thing under cowling new even batt cables
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Banned
    When times comes time for me to do a repower, going right back with a 2 stroke. From all my reading 2 stroke gets better mileage, proven motor and for what you would spend in oil, that cost will not even come close to yearly service maintenance. At last check you can still get a new pro xs from Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    factory dressed powerhead from MERC , must replace tuner also , I has done several as of late, every thing under cowling new even batt cables
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Visit the 4-stroke forum just below this one for info on the new engines.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Joe might know where a fully dressed, low hour, 250HP powerhead is.......

7. Member
    I sure do a nice one too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Thanks for the reponses guys. A new dressed power head is definitely tempting. Downside is that my Verado style lower unit is about to go also.

I've talked to some shops that are willing to look at it, most have said that if its a bearing they may be able to repair it, but if it needs to be re-shimmed, all have said they do not have the tooling to do so. Does Don or anyone else rebuild these?

9. Member
    yea me

10. Member
    Sounds like Joe can be your one stop shop on this one!

11. Member
    Joe is the MAN in Texas!

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKWG View Post
    Thanks for the reponses guys. A new dressed power head is definitely tempting. Downside is that my Verado style lower unit is about to go also.

I've talked to some shops that are willing to look at it, most have said that if its a bearing they may be able to repair it, but if it needs to be re-shimmed, all have said they do not have the tooling to do so. Does Don or anyone else rebuild these?
    If a "shop" for boats doesn't have the proper tooling to re-build a lower unit, RUN, don't walk. That's basic tooling for anyone calling themselves an outboard mechanic.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Sounds like Joe can be your one stop shop on this one!
    No doubt about it!!

14. Member
    Looks like I will be contacting Joe then! Lol. And Gamblinman that's kind of my thoughts too. LMC in Conroe claims to have 3 master mercury certified mechanics on staff but cant shim a lower unit! Hmmm.

15. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKWG View Post
    Looks like I will be contacting Joe then! Lol. And Gamblinman that's kind of my thoughts too. LMC in Conroe claims to have 3 master mercury certified mechanics on staff but cant shim a lower unit! Hmmm.
    My guess is they don't want to fool with rebuilding and the warranty. Easier to purchase a new or remanufactured unit and stick it on. Lots of dealers have gone away from rebuilding powerheads..no money in it.

16. Member
    Yep! Funny thing is a lot of times ask in June and nobody can do it and suddenly in December they have a guy that can do it!

17. Member
    Down for a year or more? No local dealers can fix your motor in less than a year?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Joe is the MAN in Texas!
    Without a doubt!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Member
    Superpro, a year if I wait on a ProXs 4 stroke. 12-20 month backorder on repower situations.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    When times comes time for me to do a repower, going right back with a 2 stroke. From all my reading 2 stroke gets better mileage, proven motor and for what you would spend in oil, that cost will not even come close to yearly service maintenance. At last check you can still get a new pro xs from Merc.
    Eddie- the Optimax engines were discontinued 12/31/2017. No longer building any new engines (though you can get powerheads and full-dress powerheads for many 3L models).

BasscatBWG:

1. Yes- should work with anything up to most current production.

2. Mechanical Engine unless you intend to COMPLETELY re-rig your boat (keep the steering wheel ONLY).

3. Good luck- few and far between, especially since the wait time for an ORDERED engine is often nearly a year.

4. Any Mercury Dealer can sell you a Mercury Powerhead or Full-Dress Powerhead. Should be installed BY a Dealer.

5. Requires inspection. Starting point would be "holes from which cylinder"?

6. Driveshaft is the VERTICAL shaft. It should not have any end-play. PROPSHAFT is another story- the Gen-1 TM can have a considerable amount of in-and-out movement, as the case is only shimmed for FORWARD.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast