Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    Accountability is what changed.
    Criminals are no longer people who make bad choices and subject to repercussions, they are victims.
    Children are no longer subject to authority. Those issued a disciplinary action at school will have a helicopter parent suing the school board.
    Parenting. Far too many want to be their childs best friend. Sometimes it's OK to discipline a child including corporal punishment if needed.

We have 2-3 generations of people now who think the world owes them something and are convinced that the universe revolves around them and their feelings. 40 years ago there were no mass shootings because people had already experienced consequences for their actions and would not be subject to more. Pedophiles/rapists/murderers were sent to prison or shot, not released for counseling. The world was much safer when we didn't try to make it a sterile safe place.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Ass whooping changed .. always getting your way by having a melt down

3. Member
    In the late 50’s over half of America attended some sort of spiritual services vs less than 20% today. Could there be a correlation in the lack of love in our country?

4. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    News, they sensationalize events. People now seek money or fame, no news programs show the good deeds before the bad and the bad gets in-depth reporting. Sick minds really do not see the difference between fame and infamy.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    When I was a high school Assistant Principal at a rural high school here in Indiana, gun racks were quite common. This was back in the late 70's early 80's. We thought nothing of it when kids had guns in the racks in their pickups. I had many kids ask me to come out to look at a new rifle or shotgun they got, to ask me what I thought of it. They knew I was into hunting and fishing. It just seemed very normal back then. Its a darn shame times have changed.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    We used to walk thru town with our shotguns on our shoulder to go hunt ,try that now .

7. Dogfish_Jones
    Back in the 70's, I went to school everyday with a pocket knife. We had students with gun racks with guns hung on them in the parking lot.
    Now, what I think has changed is kids today are mixed up with real life and fantasy life. Fantasy life comes from playing all those killing games on their play-station, X-box or whatever gaming system they have now. You shoot, you kill, you move on to win a prize, death to them has become normal...even praised and awarded.
    Sadly kids today have become numb and ...for a better word brainwashed that killing is a good thing and should be a goal to gain what you want. Death is not the end but a restart to another chapter to life. Just hit the re-start button and all is well.
    Society has played a big part in the change also. It now is a world where instant gratification is demanded and not earned. I have seem where kids today have been under huge peer pressure from their counterparts. It was there when I was a kid to, it has become worse. Kids today are being put on drugs to make them have energy, then to sleep, then to be alert , then to become more laid back. This terrible cycle only does one thing...it makes you become the person you are not. ALL kids have to grow and learn, to adapt, to make decisions based on the values they are supposed to be taught at home. AHHHHH, the home! mom and dad are working full-time jobs to support their lifestyle and the kids learn their values from the babysitter...the internet, the video games. The family core is pushed aside to make room for the next best ting money can buy. When that is not happening fast enough, what core value , what core belief, what core ethics comes to light?
    Life values has been deteriorating for the past 100 years all because of wants over needs. It's just not the last 10, 20, or 50 years, it just now becoming to hit home everywhere and not just the larger cities, or suburbs of those cities. It happening in the rural areas, the long dirt roads.
    I think on a personal level, the turning away from our religious values have hurt us a great deal. I grew up under the Sunday Blue Laws, I grew up, where locking your doors at night was unheard of. I grew up with my mom at home and teaching us what was right and wrong. When we were wrong a hickory switch usually found my backside and a chore list that would takes days to complete.
    I went to school where you got in trouble it was out in the hall and a paddle was awaiting you.
    A survey went to the teachers back in the 60's and the questions was, "what is the worse problem you have with you students today"? The answer that won out was, chewing gum in class.
    I am sure teachers today would welcome that as their biggest problem with their students.
    So, in thinking over this, I see our core religious values shot, I see parents today allowing video games and TV as their babysitter. I see us seeing kids today get away with issues that should have some instant and servers consequences for those actions.

8. Member
    One reason to add to all the other's is, Firearms-Stupid parents, raising Firearms Stupid children.

9. Member
    50 years ago starting on August 15th through August 18th was the beginning of the end for life as we knew it.

https://swamisatchidananda.org/
    Last edited by D.O.C. 989; 06-17-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    A lot of different explanations would be needed to cover this subject.
    For me, and its not the only reason but an important one: Its the break down in the family unit. Massive divorce rates. Fatherless children. Manipulation of children between divorced parents. No continuity between divorced parents on love, discipline, rewarding, and instilling morals in the child. This breaks down the early foundation of a child's life.
    By far not the only reason, but an important one.
    This ^^ I grew up in a broken home but still had dinner every night as a family. Now a days families dont eat together cause either the other parent is working or different schedules....

Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Video games. The youth of today equate video games depicting carnage as normal and see no problem with gunning down a dozen or so people.

The post above has a valid point about removing the mention of God from so many areas of our lives.
    They have been saying this since the early 90's. I have played games for as long as i can remember (i am 33) and in no way do I think gunning down people is normal.

11. Member
    Dogfish, I am sitting at the docs office on my phone. I think everyone here is on their phone. No one talks to each other face to face. A mom and three young teens rode the elevator up with me. Mom was on her phone and all three teens had their ear buds in doing something on their phones.

Not many Americans fear for their lives on a daily basis like some third world countries. Instead, we fight depression and loneliness In a VERY internet connected world. Ironic!

12. Member
    What changed is the decline of Christian values and morality in our society. Notice that I didn't say everyone was a Christian or went to church. However, most everyone knew right from wrong and made an attempt to do the right thing most of the time. These principles were the foundation of our country's moral compass for two centuries. In the last decade or two we have lost our dedication to this. It has been eroded by many factors: breakdown of the traditional family unit, little or no discipline taught at home or school, a gov't that has created an entitlement society by rewarding irresponsibility, invention of social media & the obsession with it, no respect for authority, our laws or our fellow man, constant saturation of immorality in music, tv, movies, video games, etc. The list goes on.

God help us.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    The old gun hanging in gun rack, even though back then they walked to school uphill both ways in the good old days.
    Inquiring minds want to know, what’s your point? Or don’t you have one and this was all you could come up with?
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It's not just one thing that's changed. It's a multitude of stuff, some good, some bad, that has changed us as a society. We put zero thought into taking a life anymore, back then you would be whooped for wanting to get an abortion much less kill a baby after it was born. Not to mention the internet, what seems to be an overall addiction to me first, and never being taught to accept failure or authority. Theres much more as well that all contribute, much more. The biggest of all, we've tried to completely shun the teachings of God. Whether you believe or not the teachings in the bible are still the best moral teachings there are. I'm not sure how one can argue the more we push that out the more screwed up we seem to get.
    Amen brother, preach it!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robertboyd View Post
    What changed is the decline of Christian values and morality in our society. Notice that I didn't say everyone was a Christian or went to church. However, most everyone knew right from wrong and made an attempt to do the right thing most of the time. These principles were the foundation of our country's moral compass for two centuries. In the last decade or two we have lost our dedication to this. It has been eroded by many factors: breakdown of the traditional family unit, little or no discipline taught at home or school, a gov't that has created an entitlement society by rewarding irresponsibility, invention of social media & the obsession with it, no respect for authority, our laws or our fellow man, constant saturation of immorality in music, tv, movies, video games, etc. The list goes on.

God help us.
    ^^^^^^^^this

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    The old gun hanging in gun rack, even though back then they walked to school uphill both ways in the good old days.
    I graduated high school in 1979, went to a fairly large high school. I would conservatively estimate well over half of the male student cars alone at any one time had at least one, but usually multiple firearms inside. Pretty much every truck had a gun rack mounted with at least one rifle or shotgun hanging. That doesn’t include the teachers who had guns in their car.

Probably 90% of the male student body carried a pocket knife. I can’t tell you how many times a teacher needed to open a box or package in class, asked if anyone had a knife, and basically every guy in class pulled one out.

Nowadays a kindergartner nibbles a Pop Tart into an “L” shape or makes the mistake of bringing a plastic spork to eat their pudding with they wind up suspended.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybones View Post

They have been saying this since the early 90's. I have played games for as long as i can remember (i am 33) and in no way do I think gunning down people is normal.
    You don’t think it’s normal, I don’t think it’s normal, most people don’t think it’s normal.

But in a country of 300 million people, a percentage will get obsessed and lose sense of reality.

I vividly remember after one of the school shootings a HS kid was arrested in another city planning a shooting, saying that he could achieve a higher score.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It's not just one thing that's changed. It's a multitude of stuff, some good, some bad, that has changed us as a society. We put zero thought into taking a life anymore, back then you would be whooped for wanting to get an abortion much less kill a baby after it was born. Not to mention the internet, what seems to be an overall addiction to me first, and never being taught to accept failure or authority. Theres much more as well that all contribute, much more. The biggest of all, we've tried to completely shun the teachings of God. Whether you believe or not the teachings in the bible are still the best moral teachings there are. I'm not sure how one can argue the more we push that out the more screwed up we seem to get.

19. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Lots of contributing factors...

The two biggest, IMHO, are an overall inability to deal with failure or rejection and the lost art of personal communication.
    Who controls John Gill?

20. Member
    Butt whippings by school teachers, principles and parents !
    From 1956-1958 I had two guns in the gun rack on the school parking lot.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast