Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tell us your thoughts....

50 years ago many pickup trucks on a high school parking lot had a rifle in the rear window, and there were no school shootings.
    What changed?
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    people...........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    Attitudes.

4. Member
    Focus on the Family is a family oriented website. They would be a better place to go to ask for answers about that kind of subject.

When I started into college (WSU), Dad thought it would be a good idea if I had my 20 ga. Winchester so I could go pheasant hunting. Had no car, no license, and no place to cook, so it wasn't a good plan. But I had that thing in my closet for a year, along with a box of shells. I had three roommates and I don't think we locked the door. Nobody died, and it didn't get stolen. I can't for the life of me remember how I got the shotgun home, but it's in the gun locker right now.

I've read a few opinions about the question asked. One that makes sense is that there are X millions of legal gun owners and each probably has multiple guns and 1,000 rounds of ammunition if not more. Those are not the ones that cause the problems, for some reason. I have also personally noticed that all the trouble is caused by folks who are not NRA members (I was, but not now) and virtually always support that political group that touts the benefits of gun control laws.

When I got my 2nd CCW permit, after letting it lapse for a few years, when I went to pick it up (30 day waiting period required here), the volunteer clerk at the PD said "You can't have it yet, because the FBI hasn't checked your records yet." The REAL PD clerk quickly elbowed the volunteer out of the way and said "30 days is all we get; here you go". So, I think a lot of the problem comes from the authorities failing to do their jobs...as we have noticed lately, from the FBI. Too busy doing stuff they shouldn't be doing, maybe?
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

6. Member
    Entitlements. Too much fantasy world. Not being taught right from wrong. Not enough life's lessons and being bailed out of trouble parents or other people. A lot of other things I am sure.

Internet
    13 year old Tracker

You are talking about two different things that may seem to be related but aren't. One is school policy change on allowing a gun in a private vehicle on school grounds. The school districts, legislature and other administrators assumed it had something to do with school shootings, or maybe just wanted to give the perception that they were doing something about school shootings, and made strict policy changes. But in fact that has nothing to do with school shootings. It does not even register as a deterrant to someone planning a shooting. School shootings are not a weapon tollerance issue, they are a mental illness and lack of early detection and intervention issue.

9. Member
    The old gun hanging in gun rack, even though back then they walked to school uphill both ways in the good old days.

10. Member
    A lot of different explanations would be needed to cover this subject.
    For me, and its not the only reason but an important one: Its the break down in the family unit. Massive divorce rates. Fatherless children. Manipulation of children between divorced parents. No continuity between divorced parents on love, discipline, rewarding, and instilling morals in the child. This breaks down the early foundation of a child's life.
    By far not the only reason, but an important one.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    The old gun hanging in gun rack, even though back then they walked to school uphill both ways in the good old days.
    Lots did walk to school & if you think there wasn’t a bunch of trucks with guns hanging in the racks back then you’re sadly mistaken. 40 or so years ago & on back the world was a completely different place to grow up in.

12. Member
    It's not just one thing that's changed. It's a multitude of stuff, some good, some bad, that has changed us as a society. We put zero thought into taking a life anymore, back then you would be whooped for wanting to get an abortion much less kill a baby after it was born. Not to mention the internet, what seems to be an overall addiction to me first, and never being taught to accept failure or authority. Theres much more as well that all contribute, much more. The biggest of all, we've tried to completely shun the teachings of God. Whether you believe or not the teachings in the bible are still the best moral teachings there are. I'm not sure how one can argue the more we push that out the more screwed up we seem to get.

13. Member
    Video games. The youth of today equate video games depicting carnage as normal and see no problem with gunning down a dozen or so people.

The post above has a valid point about removing the mention of God from so many areas of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Lots did walk to school & if you think there wasn’t a bunch of trucks with guns hanging in the racks back then you’re sadly mistaken. 40 or so years ago & on back the world was a completely different place to grow up in.
    Back in 96 I was turkey hunting before school, forgot my 12ga was in rack in truck. Pulled into school parking lot and was waiting before class. Ralph the guard came up to me and said, "Steele, get that behind your seat!" Should have been expelled or suspended but a good verbal warning was all that was needed.

15. Banned
    Many things

Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Video games. The youth of today equate video games depicting carnage as normal and see no problem with gunning down a dozen or so people.

The post above has a valid point about removing the mention of God from so many areas of our lives.
    I think a lot of young impressionable minds cannot distinguish between reality and fiction, that and the declining regard to the value of life in general

somebody shoots an elephant and the media and social networks go crazy, but we allow people to kill unborn babies by the 1000's
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Back in 96 I was turkey hunting before school, forgot my 12ga was in rack in truck. Pulled into school parking lot and was waiting before class. Ralph the guard came up to me and said, "Steele, get that behind your seat!" Should have been expelled or suspended but a good verbal warning was all that was needed.
    I have walked into school with the principal and him ask if I had been or was going that afternoon, and if I had been how I had done BTW I graduated HS in 81, in this day and time SWAT would be called in
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Accountability is what changed.
    Criminals are no longer people who make bad choices and subject to repercussions, they are victims.
    Children are no longer subject to authority. Those issued a disciplinary action at school will have a helicopter parent suing the school board.
    Parenting. Far too many want to be their childs best friend. Sometimes it's OK to discipline a child including corporal punishment if needed.

We have 2-3 generations of people now who think the world owes them something and are convinced that the universe revolves around them and their feelings. 40 years ago there were no mass shootings because people had already experienced consequences for their actions and would not be subject to more. Pedophiles/rapists/murderers were sent to prison or shot, not released for counseling. The world was much safer when we didn't try to make it a sterile safe place.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

19. Member
    Their head's are little un-screwed. We just need to tight it up more.

People and the attitude, we can fix everything with a pill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast