US Open Championship and the USGA...

Well, the US Open is over and Gary Woodland is champion at -13.... He played great and deserves to win!

The sad part for me, is that 31 players were under par on a US Open course! In the past, the USGA tried to make “par” the goal for this tournament. Then, the players start crying about their skills being insulted by the excessive speed of the greens instead of being showcased for the world to see....! It’s sad, the USGA bent to the whining of the players and took the teeth out of a US Open course.... I guess we’ll have to start calling this the PGA Championship #2!

Rant Over.... See ya, HatfieldHog

15 of the last 20 were won within 5 strokes of par. 6 were par or above par.

P01135809

I agree with you USGA should've made the course a little tougher for the players. But on the other hand not so fast that the ball moves on the greens by a gust of wind.

4. Member
    Anyone else ever notice how Paul Azinger looks like KVD

5. Member
    Didn't they say the cool, wet weather made for softer greens so players were able to stick more of their approach shots?

6. Member
    If the wind doesn’t blow at pebble it is available for scoring. It is what it is. Not every open needs to be a struggle for you par.

7. Banned
    what a boring finish

I guess I love watching the best be humbled by the conditions. I remember when Payne Stewart won at Pinehurst #2 and the way that the ball would roll off the edge of the green if you didn’t spin it the right direction.

See ya

9. Member
    Never get 4 perfect days in a row like this. Pebble is not that difficult by itself. Add in just 1 day much less 2/3 and the 31 becomes less than 10. It was only boring because Woodland did his job.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    If the wind doesn’t blow at pebble it is available for scoring. It is what it is. Not every open needs to be a struggle for you par.
    My thoughts exactly. If you set it up with more difficulty and the wind blows consistently, you loose the course. Aside from the scoring of the top 2, it was where it should be.

11. Member
    People act like being under par at the U.S. Open is a new thing. Every year from 1980-1997 was under par except 1. Meanwhile just last year +1 won. I love an open that is around par or even over, but this course was set up well. Like others have stated, just a little bit of wind and it would've been MUCH different scores. I hate to admit it but the USGA pretty much got this one right. Congrats to Gary.

12. Member
    Did you see all the wonderful shots they all pulled off from bunkers and rough and short sided?
    Runs on the first seven became hang on for your life starting with 8.
    These guys can do some things we are not used to seeing.
    i watched every minute with my wife. Some of it did get boring.
    but it got exciting on Sunday as 4 to 6 were in the hunt and the golf course whooped all but 2. But it was over after a great chip shot from the green on 17. Not every major can write a story that ends on 18.
    When they tried to pressure the course to make up a few strokes the course did not accommodate them.
    I love watching the majors and the golf at the highest level and the pressure that comes with them.
    other golf is pretty boring as is watching other people catch fish

Quote Originally Posted by HatfieldHog View Post
    Well, the US Open is over and Gary Woodland is champion at -13.... He played great and deserves to win!

The sad part for me, is that 31 players were under par on a US Open course! In the past, the USGA tried to make “par” the goal for this tournament. Then, the players start crying about their skills being insulted by the excessive speed of the greens instead of being showcased for the world to see....! It’s sad, the USGA bent to the whining of the players and took the teeth out of a US Open course.... I guess we’ll have to start calling this the PGA Championship #2!

Rant Over.... See ya, HatfieldHog

While I agree and love the blood bath of +1 winning the open. Two things, Tiger was around -15 in 2000 and their was NO wind Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. Add some wind and it a much more difficult course.

Woodland - Well good for him, but never faced any pressure and dropped a few bombs on Saturday that made Sunday much easier. He never paid the penalty for a mistake.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

14. Member
    What difference does it matter how difficult or easy the course is? They all play the same course.

Was glad to see Woodland win.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallieAddict View Post
    I hate to admit it but the USGA pretty much got this one right.
    Why do hate that?