Question Mercury trim question

New Pro XS 150 4S:
    How do you get the engine to trim up enough to use a transom saver for the engine. Is there a trim limiter that can be adjusted? It just won't trim up far enough.
    I know I can get better results on the Mercury forum, but I don't have the DNA results back on the engine as yet to ask this question there.

2. Member
    Not sure what DNA results are for an engine. Yes there is a tilt limiter that can be installed. Not sure if it is optional or is always there. It looks like a small square tranducer with a cable coming out of it. You may be able to play with the way it is mounted but to actually calibrate it you need the fancy tool that your dealer will have. I would take it to whoever did the install and let them calibrate it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Not sure what DNA results are for an engine. Yes there is a tilt limiter that can be installed. Not sure if it is optional or is always there. It looks like a small square tranducer with a cable coming out of it. You may be able to play with the way it is mounted but to actually calibrate it you need the fancy tool that your dealer will have. I would take it to whoever did the install and let them calibrate it.
    Referencing the DNA comment, I was making a joke about the info you have to have on a Mercury engine to make a post regarding a question on the Mercury forum.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm just trying to figure out how to get the engine to trim up far enough to use a self contained (not trailer mounted) motor support.

When you say "Transom Saver" I assume you're talking about a bar from your lower unit to the center roller on the trailer. The should be adjustable to where you can change the length to fit your set up. Most at least you can remove one end (Bolted) cut the tube/pipe shorter and re-drill a new hole for the end to attach again.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Mine is adjustable also

6. Member
    It's a Tote Right brand that is self contained. The motor won't currently trim up enough for it to "install". My question is, how to increase the tilt limit so this will fit between the engine and the engine support. Kinda like the motor mate which isn't made yet for a Mercury 150 4S.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by printman71; 06-17-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Not familiar with the new motors, but on the old ones at least the tilt limiters were usually things installed after the fact that came with separate instructions for adjusting them. Could be an option now. Stupid question, but is there anything about it in the manual, or can you ask the dealer that rigged it? Seems like they'd be in the know, and given that you've just spent a considerable sum of money with them, should be more than willing to help out.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Some trim limits are mechanical and some are programmable. Your owners manual should tell you how to adjust. This would be tilt limit too btw not trim

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    What year or about how old is your Mercury. Years ago they had a three button trim switch. single buttons would trim up and down, but you had to hold the top two down to get the motor to lift.
    John
    never mind, just reread the post and saw a new 4s. don't know on it
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    It's a Tote Right brand that is self contained. The motor won't currently trim up enough for it to "install". My question is, how to increase the tilt limit so this will fit between the engine and the engine support. Kinda like the motor mate which isn't made yet for a Mercury 150 4S.
    Are you sure that's made for your motor ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
    That was my first thought as well. I’d have some real reservation about using a transom saver that required modification of my outboard’s tilt and trim system. You might be better served giving your Mercury’s “DNA” to the folks on the Mercury Forum for a more definitive answer.
    It doesn't require the tilt be modified, just tilting enough more to use the built in one on the engine, or the one I purchased.
    I have submitted my DNA, but with no reply as yet.